Archived Topic

BYU get's another QB recruit

by Ungoy · 4/15/2011

Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Ammon Olsen, from Alta High School a 6'4" 205 lbs QB will transfer to BYU from SUU when he returns from his mission.



His senior year at Alta he threw for 3,209 yds and 36 TDs. Was the 5A MVP and Gatorade player of the year.



This info per Brandon Gurney.
K
Kajdin
Another QB. . . and one with only 2 years of eligibility. . . Bronco moving him to safety or what?
L
Lawboy
I beleive he has a redshirt, so has 4 to play 3. Only played 1 year at SUU then went on a mission. With a redshirt year, loses no elegibility with the transfer. Do not need him in 2011 season or 2012, so works out just right.



We will see great competition at QB with some guys who have been on roster for at least a year post-Heaps. This is ideal.
K
Kajdin
Oh okay sounds like a good pick up then. I kinda feel bad for lark and munns they just got buried on the depth chart.
L
Lawboy
Guys who come know they have to compete, and know someone could beat them out. Part of college athletics. But they still get a paid for education at a top university, and face it, not every kid is NFL material, so it is a pretty sweet gig even without the glory. I got out of unversity with a degree that was piad for in part from a walk-on to a golf team. I never got to really compete at the elite events, but the practice rounds and everything were worth every second.
Advertisement
K
Kajdin
good point they've still got those scholarships.
M
Mars


Will he be more like Christian Stewart or like Brad Heap?



Yawn.
C
CougarClaw
The secret recruit is REVEALED!!



So I know it's HS, but he did throw for over 3000 yards and 36 TDs. I mean. I'd love for anyone to beat out the Taysom Hills and Jake heaps' of the world since tha tmeans they're playing even better.
W
Wickchad
Was this kid even offered by BYU, Utah, or Utah State out of high school? Why is he all of the sudden a big recruit? I'm finding it hard to get excited about a transfer from SUU.



Not trying to be debbie downer but is this really big news that he has decided to come to BYU? What am I missing?
C
crh55
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Was this kid even offered by BYU, Utah, or Utah State out of high school? Why is he all of the sudden a big recruit? I'm finding it hard to get excited about a transfer from SUU.



Not trying to be debbie downer but is this really big news that he has decided to come to BYU? What am I missing?




My thoughts exactly - SUU is not a breading ground for potential transfers like SNOW college.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Come on guys - trust in Doman and Bronco - they see things in players that we can't possibly begin to fathom. With all of the shortage of scholarships, they are only going to use them on players that will help the team. This will be a good get as this kid is an athlete - passing and running skills as well as hoops - MVP in both sports.
B
BroncoBot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9BOyTfqqYQ



Great get. I don't know how highly recruited he was, but to my untrained eye he looks like he's got great mechanics. He's also fast and looks to be a great athlete.



Who knows why BYU didn't offer him coming out of high school, but he looks to have a lot of potential.



Great find!!!
C
Cougarbib
Perhaps this cake was baked way back then if BYU did not have a schollie but promised one after the mission. Who knows, but the HS credentials look way to good for him to have not had any better options than SUU. Or maybe he had a girlfriend that went there. Anyway there has to be a story. Who knows it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
bump
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
bump


What does bump mean. I have seen it used - but missed the memo explaining it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Cougarbib2 wrote:
bump


What does bump mean. I have seen it used - but missed the memo explaining it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Someone posts to put it back at the top of the list. This was started back last April. It brings it to everyone's attention again.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.