Archived Topic

Do you believe in Sports Karma?

by SpiffCoug · 4/15/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
So, I'm watching the RSL game last night. RSL wins 1-0 on a goal late in stoppage time. The problem is the winning goal was scored by a player who was clearly and obviously offsides. The goal should have been discounted.



Last year, BYU benefited from an blatantly wrong replay in the SDSU game and was then subject to an equally atrocious call in the Utah game.



Do bad calls even out?
S
snoscythe
I don't know about karma, but bad calls happen and the law of averages means they're going to happen in your favor and against you.



I voted yes.
G
Guest
I agree with snoscythe, bad calls will even out over time. It's just the nature of having fallible human beings.
Y
YBrit
If it exists, the majority of anti-Y fans will be upset.
S
Schmoe
It depends on what league you play in and for what team. For teams like BYU, RSL, Seahawks, etc. sure, it will even out. But if you're, say, the Lakers, then no, you just keep getting the calls because David Stern is a Doosh.
Advertisement
I
Isola
Sports is all about superstition. In my head I know it doesn't matter if I wear a BYU shirt while watching a game on TV, but in my heart I believe it does.



Basically I make my sacrifices to the pagan god of sports. I wear BYU apparel on game day, no matter where I am. I am careful not to wear the opposing teams colors leading up to game day. The more bitter the rival the more days I won't wear their colors. Heck, I even try to make sure my kids aren't wearing opposing colors on game day or leading up to it.



My brain says I don't believe in some greater power affecting sports, by my actions say I do.
G
Guest
Isola wrote:
Sports is all about superstition. In my head I know it doesn't matter if I wear a BYU shirt while watching a game on TV, but in my heart I believe it does.



Basically I make my sacrifices to the pagan god of sports. I wear BYU apparel on game day, no matter where I am. I am careful not to wear the opposing teams colors leading up to game day. The more bitter the rival the more days I won't wear their colors. Heck, I even try to make sure my kids aren't wearing opposing colors on game day or leading up to it.



My brain says I don't believe in some greater power affecting sports, by my actions say I do.


I do not own any thing red, except 2 ties which I rarely wear, and I don't think I ever have.
R
redneckjedi
SpiffCoug wrote:
So, I'm watching the RSL game last night. RSL wins 1-0 on a goal late in stoppage time. The problem is the winning goal was scored by a player who was clearly and obviously offsides. The goal should have been discounted.



Last year, BYU benefited from an blatantly wrong replay in the SDSU game and was then subject to an equally atrocious call in the Utah game.



Do bad calls even out?


I had always considered the bad call in the SDSU game the equalizer for the previous bad call in the SDSU game where we recovered a fumble on the sideline that was disallowed and led to an SDSU TD. The Utah call was just a middle finger from the MWC.
W
Wickchad
redneckjedi wrote:
So, I'm watching the RSL game last night. RSL wins 1-0 on a goal late in stoppage time. The problem is the winning goal was scored by a player who was clearly and obviously offsides. The goal should have been discounted.



Last year, BYU benefited from an blatantly wrong replay in the SDSU game and was then subject to an equally atrocious call in the Utah game.



Do bad calls even out?


I had always considered the bad call in the SDSU game the equalizer for the previous bad call in the SDSU game where we recovered a fumble on the sideline that was disallowed and led to an SDSU TD. The Utah call was just a middle finger from the MWC.


Not to rehash old arguments, but the fumble along the sideline was clearly a correct call. The SDSU player was laying out of bounds and touched the ball prior to BYU recovering it. The play was dead as soon as the ball was touched by a player out of bounds. We still would have won the game in my opinion... Maybe the botched fumble call in the 3rd quarter was evening out the botched non-call for the face mask on the same play that caused the fumble...



I voted no for sports karma. There are a lot of jackasses that keep winning rings. If karma existed in sports Auburn would have lost the championship game on a pick six thrown by Newton and intercepted by a player on Oregon who was offered money to go to Auburn but turned it down.
I
imuakahuku
I always figured what goes around comes around. That you will eventually find yourself on both sides of the stick. If you want to call it Karma then so be it but things to me just seem to even themselves out in the long run. Of course in the long run we are all dead too! :)
Advertisement
P
ProV1
I don't know but you'd better come up with a good post to make up for this one about soccer.
G
Guest
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I voted no for sports karma. There are a lot of jackasses that keep winning rings. If karma existed in sports Auburn would have lost the championship game on a pick six thrown by Newton and intercepted by a player on Oregon who was offered money to go to Auburn but turned it down.


The karma gods tried to find someone on Oregon's squad, but there was too much karma to pay for those horrible colors.
C
CougarClaw
Does Karma = averages? then yes.



I voted not because I don't believe in some overarching force that keeps a running tally on fairness, just that on average, everytime we get a bad call that goes for us, we're just as likely to have one go against us next time. Not Karma. Just statistics.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.