Archived Topic

Bitter, hateful article

by hawkwing · 4/13/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
No, I'm not talking about my latest CougarCorner Exclusive article, I'm talking about this:



http://deadspin.com/#!5791461



What do you think?
F
fifthqb
Bunch of crap. I would ignore this and strongly recommend not clicking on that link and removing that link from the page. Don't click on it so he doesn't get a million page views that makes him feel great about himself. And remove the link so it doesn't help his SEO when someones Google BYU's honor code or something. Hateful articles are a dime a dozen, non-story.
N
NCPUMA
no big surprise.. they chose testimony from 3 guys they knew would convey the message they wanted. Come on, these are guys from the infamous Crowton debacle. Of course these guys are going to blame others, play the race card, etc. That said, it's not hard to imagine that players that look cut from the EQ president cloth might get away with some things a bit easier. I'd really like to hear opinions from non-disgruntled BYU minority athletes that weren't kicked out for hc violations.



This article was a one-sided hit job. But to be honest I'm surprised this is the first one I've seen post-Davies. BYU is an easy target for things like this.
B
bball
I've read most of the anti-mormon stuff written all the way back to the days of Joseph Smith. If you compare all that has ever been written, there are clear patterns; 1) each author repeats false information given by a preceding writer, no effort is made to confirm the accuracy of the statement. 2) broad, negative platitudes are spread throughout the writings, with no specifics and no attempt at balance, 3) these writers always feed on the hot button topics of the world (racism, bias, prejudice, sex, etc), again with no attempt to providing understanding of where the LDS are coming from. If you don't understand who we are and how we got here, then things like morality, the word of wisdom, profanity, etc, seem weird and bizarre--it just demonstrates how far afield the world has drifted since God put man on this earth.



There is zero redeeming value in this article, and no one will learn anything useful or truthful by reading it.
Y
Yndian
This is shocking to me because ex-employees (especially those that were fired/dismissed) are usually extremely fair and impartial when telling you about their former employer!
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Read the article and I encourage everyone to read it. It's a good idea to poke your head out of the bubble every now and then.



Statistically, more minority athletes are dismissed for honor code violations than white athletes. When was the last time a white athlete on the football or basketball team was dismissed/suspended for an honor code violation? Now compare that to the last time a minority athlete was dismissed/suspended. Keep in mind, minority athletes make up less than 25 percent of the athletes yet they are suspended at a higher rate.



Does this have to do with race or does it have to do with the fact that less minorities are members of the church and therefore more likely to have issues with the honor code? Probably more of the later, but the white kids are definitely doing their fair share of sinning. Why are they not getting "caught?"



Clearly Crowton and his staff did a horrible job of explaining the honor code and we're still dealing with the consequences. Bronco does a lot better job and the fewer number of black athletes on the roster is probably an indirect result of Bronco going after more member athletes or ones clearly committed to living the honor code.



The section on O'Neil Chambers is interesting.



The article is correct in that BYU and the honor code foster a environment of snitches. BYU has plenty of Michelle Peraltas, Peter Priesthoods, etc. that are entirely too quick to judge and altruistic in nature. Minorities tend to be an easy target. I knew a guy at BYU that when he saw a black student would go ask, "So, what sport do you play?" Incredibly naive, judgmental and unfortunately sent the wrong message to the minority.



Is the article bitter and hateful? Yes. But that doesn't mean there isn't something on our end that we can't take away from it.
F
Florwood
After reading Chamber's comments about life at BYU, I'd wouldn't be surprised if he's sealed off any chance of rejoining the team.



"[BYU] is a tough place and you're going to go through trials and tribulations. My family and friends say I've changed. I worry a lot more. I'm not the same me anymore since I've been here. It's helped me grow in many aspects but I'm afraid sometimes. I can't relax. I have to put on a mask when I come [to campus]. Sometimes I do feel lonely and sometimes I do feel lost and people look at me like, why are you still here?"
D
Dcr36
Apparently this article's getting a bunch of hits. Looks like we're gonna be talking about this one for a while. :~(



I know you can put together a pretty good case based on who's gotten into trouble with the HC that we've got some sort of racism problem, but it frustrates me. I know people who work with the athletic department, I know people who work at the HC office, and I know BYU students. Aside from the fact that the student body at BYU is about as homogeneous as it gets, I can't reconcile the notion that BYU is a racist institution with any of my actual experience. At all.



This is a day-ruiner for me. I hate seeing my alma mater dragged through the mud.
K
Kajdin
Ignore it BYU is one of the most recognizable branches of the church and as such will always be under attack. The worst thing we can do is react. Think bible bash during a mission who wins? The one that doesn't hate and lets truth win. Lies have an interesting way disappearing.
A
ABYUFAN
The article is nothing new - it's the stuff that haters have been saying anyway, I get a bit tired of being called a racist because I'm over 40 white and mormon, but I realize that simple minds need to assuage thier insecurities by painting others with a broad brush.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Oh... coauthor dismissed from BYU - coouldn't have seen THAT coming.... :whistle:
Y
YBrit
After waking up to the Doug Robinson (who used to write decent articles that were more understanding of BYU) article of low-balling, I will not open this other one.





How 'bout someone mention how big BYUs balls are for steppin' out in the deep end.



utah was invited for being trendy and ditching old-fashioned views like morals, god, and american freedom.



BYU would easily have been invited had they dumped values of morals and principals.





At the end of the day, BYU has the biggest pair of nads I've ever seen. And they are back at the frontier of football, changing the shape of the game through indY televising, scheduling, and marketing. In the words of Michael Scott "so suck on that": media/mwc/pac/doug/haters/utah.
U
Ungoy
Ironic that this is coming from a site called "Deadspin" considering that they continue to beat a "dead" horse...



Lame, and lazy writing.
N
NCPUMA
Florwood wrote:
After reading Chamber's comments about life at BYU, I'd wouldn't be surprised if he's sealed off any chance of rejoining the team.



"[BYU] is a tough place and you're going to go through trials and tribulations. My family and friends say I've changed. I worry a lot more. I'm not the same me anymore since I've been here. It's helped me grow in many aspects but I'm afraid sometimes. I can't relax. I have to put on a mask when I come [to campus]. Sometimes I do feel lonely and sometimes I do feel lost and people look at me like, why are you still here?"


This is a classic example of trying to turn this into a racial issue when it's not.. Race may play an ancillary role but at its core it's cultural. Take a white kid that grew up in south Florida with no LDS connections and move him to BYU and see how he feels. Lonely? Doesn't fit in? Uptight? Afraid? Of course! Many kids from UTAH feel this way at BYU. Oneil worries more now than he did in high school?? He's different now?? That could describe 95% of the students at BYU.



Of course the honor code produces obnoxious pharisees and hypocrites. It's human nature. Get over it. Most of what BYU offers is incredibly positive. Oneil needs to get beyond himself a bit.
C
CannonCougar85
Just listened to the author, or one of them, of this blog on 1280. He was fired from a teaching position at BYU in 2004 and has a degree from the UofU. He even said in the interview that "If a player of color wants to go down south and play...". Who refers to playing at BYU as "going down south"? Any guesses?



It became obvious to me that this guy has a axe to grind with BYU and the church. He is very quick to assume that this is a racial issue and not a cultural issue. In the blog he doesn't interview guys like Hooks, Curtis Brown and Coats who seemed to do well at BYU while being players of color.



Oh and he also mentioned that he is writing a book about this same issue...
Advertisement
B
ByuIcoug
Was wondering where the Bryan Kehl quote was or Brian Logan. If you don't want to come to BYU and live the honor code than don't come. Harvey got kicked off last year, haven't heard a negative thing from him.
E
EM_Puma
fifthqb wrote:
Bunch of crap. I would ignore this and strongly recommend not clicking on that link and removing that link from the page. Don't click on it so he doesn't get a million page views that makes him feel great about himself. And remove the link so it doesn't help his SEO when someones Google BYU's honor code or something. Hateful articles are a dime a dozen, non-story.


I had seen tweets about it earlier. I have been things to do that read any garbage about Kessman.
B
Brayden Green
over 70% of the Utah state prison is filled with minorities. Clearly, cops are also racist.



(Or could it have something to do with the disintegration of families?)
C
CAFB_04-12
I started reading that article and I saw the name Ray Hudson and thought, "wasn't he one of the bunch that got kicked out for the gang rape of some co-ed in the Crowton era?" Sure enough.



I think that was a legit reason why Crowton no longer coaches at BYU. The Honor Code clearly wasn't presented in a clear enough way for these scholar-athletes to understand.



[edit: I guess it was consensual group sex, not gang rape]
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
Oh... coauthor dismissed from BYU - coouldn't have seen THAT coming.... :whistle:

and a Ute to boot. A commentor siad HC is a joke becasue McMahon graduated. McMahon did not graduate. Now 30 or so years later - maybe something will be worked out for him to graduate.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.