Archived Topic

Give me some corners I can get excited about

by taekwondave · 4/13/2011

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
We seem to have it all right now. A stacked defense. A stacked offense. Potentially highly explosive special teams. Great coaching. The only area I find myself wishing we had more is with the cornerbacks. I know that with our defensive scheme they are a little less important, but I hate that excuse. Why can't we get great corners to come here? An old roommate of mine blamed it on the culture of cornerbacks in general. He thinks they're kind of the lone wolf crazy guys who live crazy lifestyles. Have you guys known this to be true? Is there something about the mentality of great cornerbacks that turns them off to BYU?
G
Guest
There's no better corner than CougarCorner!
L
Lawboy
I think you are going to be surprised by our corner play the next few years. We have better athletes at that position now, and with depth. Bronco has never had corners like this to work with at BYU. That means competition for playing time, which means better game day play. The last time BYU had really great, elite college level corner play was probably 1996. Not sure we will be that good this year, but we will be close. Eason is going to be great, and Hadley and Comer and Buckner are all solid with upside. Everett is a physical guy and big. Basically, we have depth. Just need one of those guys to separate. I think our secondary will play more bump coverage this year than we have seen under Bronco since he arrived.
F
frdbtr
Bronco's defense is designed to keep everything in front of you and not give up a big play. I agree with Lawboy, we won't be trying to hide the corners as much this year and will be bringing more blitzes IMO. I think we have the talent to let them play and see what happens.
T
taekwondave
I will say this about Bronco's defense last year: we ran very effective corner blitzes, that is true. I don't know. I know that Bronco's defenses are effective, but I just wish there were some big, strong, fast, crazy corners that I could get excited about individually. Bronco's schemes are great. He's a great coach. I just love to see great coaching mixed with mind-boggling talent/athleticism.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
taekwondave wrote:
I will say this about Bronco's defense last year: we ran very effective corner blitzes, that is true. I don't know. I know that Bronco's defenses are effective, but I just wish there were some big, strong, fast, crazy corners that I could get excited about individually. Bronco's schemes are great. He's a great coach. I just love to see great coaching mixed with mind-boggling talent/athleticism.


BYU will never have mind boggling talent/athleticism. We have to overcome that with scheme. Even the 96 corners who IMO were the best we have ever had, did not have mind boggling talent/athleticism.
G
Gunk
I've always gotten the impression Corners were players that were either too slow, too short or didn't quite have the hands to play WR.
T
taekwondave
frdbtr wrote:
BYU will never have mind boggling talent/athleticism. We have to overcome that with scheme. Even the 96 corners who IMO were the best we have ever had, did not have mind boggling talent/athleticism.


I think we already have a bit of it at several positions, actually. I agree that our schemes are vital, but I would say even more vital has been the way our team plays as a team. A whole team of pretty good players can beat a group of shiny NFL talent who don't play together any day (OU game), but I think we have truly some mind boggling talent at QB, RB, and wide receiver right now, as well as some mind boggling talent at linebacker, so I don't think your statement is quite true. Especially when you consider the NEVER part of it. BYU did just boast the best basketball player in the country, after all.


Gunk wrote:
I've always gotten the impression Corners were players that were either too slow, too short or didn't quite have the hands to play WR.


Too slow? That was never a trademark of db's in my mind. Can't catch? Yes. Too short? Certainly. But db's are typically the fastest players on the team. If you aren't at LEAST as fast as the guy you're defending then every step he makes gets the better of you, seeing as how you can only react and do something at least as fast as him. Great corners are at least as fast as their wide receiver counterparts or else they aren't great corners.
M
Mars


Johnson and Buckner combined to pick 4 passes this spring, 3 of which they turned into touchdowns. Not very exciting, I know.
B
BigCougsFan
Mars wrote:


Johnson and Buckner combined to pick 4 passes this spring, 3 of which they turned into touchdowns. Not very exciting, I know.


:lol:



Yawn...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
Kajdin
By exciting do you mean corners the national media drools over because they don't that for any BYU players. . .
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:


Johnson and Buckner combined to pick 4 passes this spring, 3 of which they turned into touchdowns. Not very exciting, I know.


Get your facts away from my stereotypes!
B
BoiseBYU
taekwondave wrote:
I just wish there were some big, strong, fast, crazy corners that I could get excited about individually. Bronco's schemes are great. He's a great coach. I just love to see great coaching mixed with mind-boggling talent/athleticism.

How many big strong fast crazy cornerbacks are there? Name one in the MWC. name one in the Pac 10? There are very very few....I could be wrong, but I heard that after QBs, the best cornerbacks are the highest paid NFLers. Why? They are extremely rare....
N
nuk13
taekwondave wrote:
BYU will never have mind boggling talent/athleticism. We have to overcome that with scheme. Even the 96 corners who IMO were the best we have ever had, did not have mind boggling talent/athleticism.


I think we already have a bit of it at several positions, actually. I agree that our schemes are vital, but I would say even more vital has been the way our team plays as a team. A whole team of pretty good players can beat a group of shiny NFL talent who don't play together any day (OU game), but I think we have truly some mind boggling talent at QB, RB, and wide receiver right now, as well as some mind boggling talent at linebacker, so I don't think your statement is quite true. Especially when you consider the NEVER part of it. BYU did just boast the best basketball player in the country, after all.


Gunk wrote:
I've always gotten the impression Corners were players that were either too slow, too short or didn't quite have the hands to play WR.


Too slow? That was never a trademark of db's in my mind. Can't catch? Yes. Too short? Certainly. But db's are typically the fastest players on the team. If you aren't at LEAST as fast as the guy you're defending then every step he makes gets the better of you, seeing as how you can only react and do something at least as fast as him. Great corners are at least as fast as their wide receiver counterparts or else they aren't great corners.


Who was the slow white rm that caught the fast running back from Arizona from behind?
T
taekwondave
Mars wrote:


Johnson and Buckner combined to pick 4 passes this spring, 3 of which they turned into touchdowns. Not very exciting, I know.


I did not know that. Obviously that is exciting. :lol: But you guys all know what I'm talking about. Hopefully this year is different, but need I remind everyone how we lost to Utah in the final minutes last year? A little taller, little more talented DB doesn't let that happen.
Advertisement
T
taekwondave
BoiseBYU wrote:
I just wish there were some big, strong, fast, crazy corners that I could get excited about individually. Bronco's schemes are great. He's a great coach. I just love to see great coaching mixed with mind-boggling talent/athleticism.

How many big strong fast crazy cornerbacks are there? Name one in the MWC. name one in the Pac 10? There are very very few....I could be wrong, but I heard that after QBs, the best cornerbacks are the highest paid NFLers. Why? They are extremely rare....


I may be wrong here but that seems to be something the Yewts have every year. They ALWAYS have the ability to play man to man on the corners. They do it to us every time we play. Our little guys are always 6-10 yards off. I know I'm not the only guy that sees this, right? Right??? :~(
T
taekwondave
nuk13 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
BYU will never have mind boggling talent/athleticism. We have to overcome that with scheme. Even the 96 corners who IMO were the best we have ever had, did not have mind boggling talent/athleticism.


I think we already have a bit of it at several positions, actually. I agree that our schemes are vital, but I would say even more vital has been the way our team plays as a team. A whole team of pretty good players can beat a group of shiny NFL talent who don't play together any day (OU game), but I think we have truly some mind boggling talent at QB, RB, and wide receiver right now, as well as some mind boggling talent at linebacker, so I don't think your statement is quite true. Especially when you consider the NEVER part of it. BYU did just boast the best basketball player in the country, after all.


Gunk wrote:
I've always gotten the impression Corners were players that were either too slow, too short or didn't quite have the hands to play WR.


Too slow? That was never a trademark of db's in my mind. Can't catch? Yes. Too short? Certainly. But db's are typically the fastest players on the team. If you aren't at LEAST as fast as the guy you're defending then every step he makes gets the better of you, seeing as how you can only react and do something at least as fast as him. Great corners are at least as fast as their wide receiver counterparts or else they aren't great corners.


Who was the slow white rm that caught the fast running back from Arizona from behind?


I don't get this comment. I don't know the answer to your question. Did I bring up race, because anybody who knows me KNOWS I hate stereotyping black people as better athletes than white people, if that's what you're getting at. I wrote a speed training book that debunks the myth about white people and speed and I was the first guy to post on here the video of the 5' 10" Jacob Tucker with the 50 inch vert.



Or was it just an honest question? I really didn't catch your tone.
K
Kajdin
taekwondave wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
I just wish there were some big, strong, fast, crazy corners that I could get excited about individually. Bronco's schemes are great. He's a great coach. I just love to see great coaching mixed with mind-boggling talent/athleticism.

How many big strong fast crazy cornerbacks are there? Name one in the MWC. name one in the Pac 10? There are very very few....I could be wrong, but I heard that after QBs, the best cornerbacks are the highest paid NFLers. Why? They are extremely rare....


I may be wrong here but that seems to be something the Yewts have every year. They ALWAYS have the ability to play man to man on the corners. They do it to us every time we play. Our little guys are always 6-10 yards off. I know I'm not the only guy that sees this, right? Right??? :~(


Part of the problem in the past has also been our slow, small receivers. Collie certainly took it to the :utard: corners. And this year you can bet that Apo and Hoffman will make their DB's pay for daring to try man coverage.
T
taekwondave
Kajdin wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
I just wish there were some big, strong, fast, crazy corners that I could get excited about individually. Bronco's schemes are great. He's a great coach. I just love to see great coaching mixed with mind-boggling talent/athleticism.

How many big strong fast crazy cornerbacks are there? Name one in the MWC. name one in the Pac 10? There are very very few....I could be wrong, but I heard that after QBs, the best cornerbacks are the highest paid NFLers. Why? They are extremely rare....


I may be wrong here but that seems to be something the Yewts have every year. They ALWAYS have the ability to play man to man on the corners. They do it to us every time we play. Our little guys are always 6-10 yards off. I know I'm not the only guy that sees this, right? Right??? :~(


Part of the problem in the past has also been our slow, small receivers. Collie certainly took it to the :utard: corners. And this year you can bet that Apo and Hoffman will make their DB's pay for daring to try man coverage.


Oh, I totally agree. Our team sounds absolutely STACKED this year. Honestly? I would NOT be surprised if we only lose one game this year. I thought Hoffman was good and now all we can hear about is Apo. I can't wait to have them on the field at the same time. I bet we beat Utah by 28 pts.



Now...if we can JUST have our corners be as deep and as strong as our linebackers...
I
imuakahuku
taekwondave wrote:

I've always gotten the impression Corners were players that were either too slow, too short or didn't quite have the hands to play WR.


Too slow? That was never a trademark of db's in my mind. Can't catch? Yes. Too short? Certainly. But db's are typically the fastest players on the team. If you aren't at LEAST as fast as the guy you're defending then every step he makes gets the better of you, seeing as how you can only react and do something at least as fast as him. Great corners are at least as fast as their wide receiver counterparts or else they aren't great corners.


Yeah, the CB's are usually your fastest and quickest players on the team which also usually translates to your smallest players on the team. The slow one of all the db's is usually the strong safety. That's why SS's usually cover TE's and play close to the line in run support. They are the biggest, strongest, and slowest of the group of DB's. Some teams take their smaller LB's and move them to SS. FS's are usually fast (not really quick), tall (usually the tallest of the bunch), lean and athletic (could actually play WR because they can catch :))
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.