SpiffCoug wrote:
The honor code has nothing to do with it. This is about Sonny Parker (dad) and his desire to get Jabari to a name school that can win a national championship or two.
Sonny is not LDS and is not fond of BYU.
The Honor Code is always a factor with BYU. If Sonny Parker wants Jabari at BYU, but Jabari doesn't feel like he can live it, then he won't come.
But If Sonny is concerned about a NC, I think BYU showed this year, a NC is a real possibility at BYU.
The honor code is no more a factor for Jabari Parker than it is for Nick Emery.
Sonny does not favor BYU... the honor code is an ancillary issue here. Jabari from all reports is a really good kid. I've spoken to the mother of his best friend, and I have no doubt that the honor code is not an issue at all. Sonny Parker and his blessing, is.
Sonny wants his son close at a "name" school.
Sonny coaches AAU teams and has interest in parlaying his son's attention into more attention into coaching for himself, etc.
Sonny is not LDS, however, he is a an active Christian and posts Bible verses on his fb page on a weekly basis. From all reports is a very good and decent man, but BYU is not high on his list.
The honor code is not the problem, to speak of it as so, is to take attention off the real issue.
I'll say this again though, while I haven't seen Parker in person, I have seen him play several times on ESPN and on videos and he does not blow me away as a future college all-american. he's going to be really good and he's got a very high hoops IQ, but his athleticism and size limit him at the next level. He's a tweener at the 3/4.
He'll be really really good, but I don't think he'll be great unless he's surrounded by great players. Something Sonny Parker knows having been in the NBA and around college all americans and NBA players.