Archived Topic

Rice and UNLV

by CougarClaw · 4/8/2011

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
So we've called the rebels all kinds of things and our recent history with them has not been pretty. We do however, have all kinds of respect for Dave Rice and what he's done here for BYU.



So should he select to go to UNLV, do we suddenly like UNLV? Are they immediately a 'classy' program? Or does his classy'ness merely cancel out their amazing negativity leaving us neutral, or 'confused' about where UNLV stands.



How would your opinion of UNLV change with Dave Rice at the helm.
G
Gunk
I'd pay attention to them a bit and wait to see what happened with Rice at the helm. I want Rice to succeed, for sure, but my opinion of UNLV isn't going to change until there is proof in the pudding.
Y
YBrit
Gunk wrote:
I'd pay attention to them a bit and wait to see what happened with Rice at the helm. I want Rice to succeed, for sure, but my opinion of UNLV isn't going to change until there is proof in the pudding.




For instance if players are jailed for shoving their girlfriends faces into pudding while Rice is there, that'd be a reason to continue disliking them.
U
urroner
YBrit wrote:
I'd pay attention to them a bit and wait to see what happened with Rice at the helm. I want Rice to succeed, for sure, but my opinion of UNLV isn't going to change until there is proof in the pudding.




For instance if players are jailed for shoving their girlfriends faces into pudding while Rice is there, that'd be a reason to continue disliking them.


Do you mean "not jailed?"
S
SpiffCoug
If Rice goes to UNLV, I would congratulate him on the opportunity and then forget the Rebels like I am with every other MWC team we're leaving behind.
Advertisement
C
crh55
SpiffCoug wrote:
If Rice goes to UNLV, I would congratulate him on the opportunity and then forget the Rebels like I am with every other MWC team we're leaving behind.


With Rice there, us leaving the conference, and the fact that they got Jimmered twice this year makes it easier to hold no more ill will toward them.



However, Trevon will always be a deusch... supposedly the best?
M
Mars


I would root hard for Rice, hope for a long-term scheduling contract with UNLV, look forward with glee to every time we beat them, look on past and current Rebel players with distaste, look at his recruits more favorably, still dislike their admin, still hate their fans, still be disgusted by their town, still enjoy road trips there, and still not care about their pitiful football team. Is that what you were looking for?
C
CougarClaw
Mars wrote:


I would root hard for Rice, hope for a long-term scheduling contract with UNLV, look forward with glee to every time we beat them, look on past and current Rebel players with distaste, look at his recruits more favorably, still dislike their admin, still hate their fans, still be disgusted by their town, still enjoy road trips there, and still not care about their pitiful football team. Is that what you were looking for?


yup.



maybe we should root for Rice to fail so he can come back to the Y? too selfish?
E
EM_Puma
To me it was like when Heath Schroyer was the HC at Wyoming. It was hard to hate a guy that had coached at BYU and was a great guy. I think I'll feel the same way if Rice goes to UNLV, especially now that we aren't in the same conference any more even though I think we'll still find time on our schedules for each other because I think we both love to hate each other.
B
Brayden Green
I will hope that he does a fantastic job, so that in 5 years if Rose decides to hang up the cleats, we can just ask Rice if he wants to come join a top 15 year in and year out contender.



But I refuse to cheer for, or pay attention to, any collegiate team but BYU.
Advertisement
M
Mars
EM_Puma wrote:
To me it was like when Heath Schroyer was the HC at Wyoming. It was hard to hate a guy that had coached at BYU and was a great guy. I think I'll feel the same way if Rice goes to UNLV, especially now that we aren't in the same conference any more even though I think we'll still find time on our schedules for each other because I think we both love to hate each other.

Yup. With Schroyer-led Wyoming, when they won it was like "Good for him", and when they lost it was like "Nice- Wyoming sucks".
B
BYULV
Unlv = unclassy

Unlv fans = very unclassy

Kruger = classy

Rice = classy



Looks like nothing really changes down here if rice is hired.



Then again, their style of pay might change. Trevon will be gone, supposedly, and they will have a couple of LDS kids on the team next year so maybe that will help change things as well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
BYULV wrote:
Kruger = classy

I used to think than Lon was classy, until this year. He "choked" multiple times when it came to reining in Fe'lon Willis.
B
BYULV
Mars wrote:
Kruger = classy

I used to think than Lon was classy, until this year. He "choked" multiple times when it came to reining in Fe'lon Willis.


He was classy by not choking trevon himself. I agree it tarnished kruger's image for me as well when he didn't hand down a more serious penalty. I have also been on the verge of calling him classless for how he teaches his team to play defense...basically he has them grab, slap, bump, push to the point where the refs will call it, then backs down just a bit. If they don't call it he ratchets up the grabbing, pushing, etc. I guess it's legal so it's his prerogative to play that way, but I have always felt it was distasteful, like a KWhitt double timeout prior to a field goal kick.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
If Rice goes to UNLV, I will root for Rice to be the best coach he can be, but I still won't root for the Rebs.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.