Archived Topic

OC back as safety in 2012

by urroner · 4/8/2011

Advertisement
U
urroner
According to the tweets by Drew Jay, O'Neil Chambers will be able to join the team in January
Few more BYU practice notes: Bronco said O'Neill Chambers is still in school can rejoin the program in January. Said OC might move to safety


He also tweeted that Bronco said:
Chambers will most likely play in the secondary. "I would like to coach him personally,"


According to Greg Wrubell:
Bronco, on former WR O'Neill Chambers: "He had a chance to be released anywhere he wanted to go, and he won't go. He wants to be here."


:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:



I bet OC will rock in the secondary as a safety. He likes to hit people.
C
CougarClaw
Can we send him a "get well soon" card? I feel like he needs to know we will support him.
B
BYULV
Love the quotes. I wouldn't be surprised to see bronco and OC develop a lifelong bond as they work through this love-hate relationship over the next two years. With Oc's ability and hardheadedness and bronco's hardheadedness and coaching we may see OC turn into a "special" player in the secondary. I would love to see it happen.
B
Brayden Green
Hopefully they are teaching him to make contact AFTER the ball has touched a player. I can't count how many times he got one called back. I hope it works out, if for no other reason than we need bodies in the secondary.
S
SpiffCoug
I also read the OC hasn't missed one item on his "return-to-the-team-checklist". That's a great sign for him.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Perfect. Right where he should have been 3 years ago. Hope he comes out fired up.
G
Guest
So OC can join the team in the BCS game. that's Sweet!! ;)
I
imuakahuku
hawkwing wrote:
So OC can join the team in the BCS game. that's Sweet!! ;)




LOL! Awesome thought!
Y
YBrit
This is the "mission time" he's on-self development, hard work, goals to achieve. When media gets wind of this, that's probably what they'll report it as, he's a nonmormon missionary on BYU campus.
W
Wickchad
If OC is expected to play free safety next year I don't see him getting much playing time. He will be behind Bills who I anticipate will be a three year starter upon returning from his mission.



I can't imagine how many personal foul penalties OC will rack up for high hits or late hits the way the refs have been calling those. If it was 3rd and over 15 I would sub OC out just to avoid the chance of the refs bailing the other team out with a suspect call.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Way to have faith in your players and coaches.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
Gunk wrote:
Perfect. Right where he should have been 3 years ago....


My thoughts are: he IS where he is supposed to be right now.



Waxing philisophical; I spent some time this morning at KSL.com (keeping a few ties to the land of my upbringing) and saw the two stories of men accused of child molestation and murder. Both were at the State Hospital and will likely be found incapable of being tried. I enlarged their picture, looked at thier face and tried to imagine what their parents must think when they look in their child's eyes.



Silly, I know. But next I think of Linette Chambers and what she see's in Oneal's eyes. Then I wonder where he would be in his personal life if he had chosen to go somewhere else to play. I cant wait to see what Mr. Oneal Chambers will become in his adult life and how these years at BYU will effect that.



I am very happy for him! This will be an even bigger feel-good story than Jimmer Fredette playing hoops with prisoners, and should net years of good Karma for BYU.
S
Sammich
Wickchad84087 wrote:
If OC is expected to play free safety next year I don't see him getting much playing time. He will be behind Bills who I anticipate will be a three year starter upon returning from his mission.



I can't imagine how many personal foul penalties OC will rack up for high hits or late hits the way the refs have been calling those. If it was 3rd and over 15 I would sub OC out just to avoid the chance of the refs bailing the other team out with a suspect call.

Man, some people really hate OC. The guy hasn't even played a down with the defense yet and you're already bagging on him.
T
trueblue72
Well, I don't see OC being very good at safety. I think he was extremely overrated as a receiver and will not amount to much as a safety. There will be too many guys in that d back field that will be just as good but with more eligibility. I think he's getting too many props as a safety and we've yet to see him play there



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wickchad
Sammich wrote:
If OC is expected to play free safety next year I don't see him getting much playing time. He will be behind Bills who I anticipate will be a three year starter upon returning from his mission.



I can't imagine how many personal foul penalties OC will rack up for high hits or late hits the way the refs have been calling those. If it was 3rd and over 15 I would sub OC out just to avoid the chance of the refs bailing the other team out with a suspect call.

Man, some people really hate OC. The guy hasn't even played a down with the defense yet and you're already bagging on him.


Don't really think I was bagging on him but whatever.



Bills will beat everyone out for the free safety spot when he gets back from his mission.



OC has proven to be undisciplined in the past and will be put in a position where his aggression could hurt the team based on how officials have called the defenseless receiver rule.



I'm actually an OC fan but I've seen the writing on the wall that the younger talent will probably keep him from seeing the field very much. He'll probably be utilized for special teams mostly upon his return.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I wonder if he has considered playing fullback. That kid can block, and block well.



I hope we at least use him in the return game, as the lead blocker.
C
CAFB_04-12
This is really turning out well for OC, I think. I remember when Bronco took him off the team it really felt like OC would be gone forever. I can imagine the pain OC would bring from the safety position! Is he fast enough at safety though?
U
urroner
From my POV, the OC we'll see in 2012 will not be the OC we saw last year. To go through what he has gone through since finding himself on the outside looking in and being told that if he wanted back in, there would be a huge price to pay, he will come out with more self respect and more discipline.



AFAIK, Bronco ain't told him he's worthless and to not even try, it seems to me that Bronco has taken him under his wing and that means a lot to me.
B
BigCougsFan
This is the guy... Who was kicked off the team. What was the first public thing he did? Attend the very next home game in the front row with his shirt off, sporting a big BYU letter painted on his chest. Along with his friend and Apo.



Chambers is fully committed to BYU and I look forward to watching him rough up some WR's.



A few years ago. Utah's Sean Smith was a nobody at WR. One of the biggest trash talkers who could not back it up. He switched to safety and was their biggest defensive threats. Was even drafted within the first couple rounds of the draft.



Chambers will have something all the others in the secondary players won't have. The mindset of a WR. He knows them better than any other Cougar secondary.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Wickchad84087 wrote:
If OC is expected to play free safety next year I don't see him getting much playing time. He will be behind Bills who I anticipate will be a three year starter upon returning from his mission.



I can't imagine how many personal foul penalties OC will rack up for high hits or late hits the way the refs have been calling those. If it was 3rd and over 15 I would sub OC out just to avoid the chance of the refs bailing the other team out with a suspect call.


Wickchad84087 wrote:
Don't really think I was bagging on him but whatever.



Bills will beat everyone out for the free safety spot when he gets back from his mission.



OC has proven to be undisciplined in the past and will be put in a position where his aggression could hurt the team based on how officials have called the defenseless receiver rule.



I'm actually an OC fan but I've seen the writing on the wall that the younger talent will probably keep him from seeing the field very much. He'll probably be utilized for special teams mostly upon his return.

Man, if this is how you talk about someone you're a fan of, I'd hate to see what you'd say about a player you didn't like. I can't imagine how anyone reading what you wrote would think you were bagging on him.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.