Archived Topic

BYU is on a Roll, QB issue solved

by jonnylingo · 4/7/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
So here's the QB timeline as I see it:



2011: Heaps (SO); Nelson (SR); Lark (JR); Munns (SO); Hill (RS); Kuresa (RS/mission)

2012: Heaps (JR); Lark (SR); Munns (JR); Hill (FR); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2013: Heaps (SR); Munns (SR); Hill (SO); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2014: Hill (JR); Kuresa (FR); Magnum (RS)

2015: Hill (SR); Kuresa (SO); Magnum (FR)
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
So here's the QB timeline as I see it:



2011: Heaps (SO); Nelson (SR); Lark (JR); Munns (SO); Hill (RS); Kuresa (RS/mission)

2012: Heaps (JR); Lark (SR); Munns (JR); Hill (FR); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2013: Heaps (SR); Munns (SR); Hill (SO); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2014: Hill (JR); Kuresa (FR); Magnum (RS)

2015: Hill (SR); Kuresa (SO); Magnum (FR)


If Heaps is everything we think/hope he is...then I think your 2013 timeline is a pipe dream...
S
SpiffCoug
Timeline stands, and everyone just moves one position to the right.
C
CougarClaw
Assuming Heaps goes Pro his Senior year.



2011: Heaps (SO); Nelson (SR); Lark (JR); Munns (SO); Hill (RS); Kuresa (RS/mission)

2012: Heaps (JR); Lark (SR); Munns (JR); Hill (FR); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2013: Munns (SR); Hill (SO); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2014: Hill (JR); Kuresa (FR); Magnum (RS)

2015: Hill (SR); Kuresa (SO); Magnum (FR)[/quote]



seems like we need another frosh QB in 2013 class.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
Wait, if I read the article right, Hill won't join the team until next January so he won't be around for the 2011 season, and he'll essentially just replace Nelson on the depth chart. I'm really starting to love the spacing we've got going. No more seasons where we have multiple QBs who are seniors at the same time.



Edit... yeah, he won't be here until January 2012 so that pushes him back a year. Also, for a second I was thinking this was the kid from Pleasant Grove HS. As long as we're at it, why don't we start working on him next and get another defection from Stanford.



Re-edit... but I think he did redshirt a year at Stanford so he'll still be a redshirt freshman in 2012. Nevermind and carry on.
Y
YBrit
Can't wait.
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
So here's the QB timeline as I see it:



2011: Heaps (SO); Nelson (SR); Lark (JR); Munns (SO); Hill (RS); Kuresa (RS/mission)

2012: Heaps (JR); Lark (SR); Munns (JR); Hill (FR); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2013: Heaps (SR); Munns (SR); Hill (SO); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2014: Hill (JR); Kuresa (FR); Magnum (RS)

2015: Hill (SR); Kuresa (SO); Magnum (FR)


So if he enrolls in 2012, his RS hear is 2012, FR in 2013, and moves on the down the timeilne. Any one know for sure if he still has 5 years to play 4???
S
SpiffCoug
I believe he has 5 to play 4. I don't think he ever actually attended Stanford.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
I remember BYU considering this guy before he left on a mission. When he went to stanford I felt like BYU let a good one go. Glad it all worked out!!!! Nice get.
L
Lawboy
Key to success at BYU is to lock up the top 1-2 LDS QBs every couple of years. From there, gotta get playmakers around them. We seem to have the QB issue sorted, not gotta get the playmakers. Davonte Neal types. Need one of those every 2 years, minimum.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
So here's the QB timeline as I see it:



2011: Heaps (SO); Nelson (SR); Lark (JR); Munns (SO); Hill (RS); Kuresa (RS/mission)

2012: Heaps (JR); Lark (SR); Munns (JR); Hill (FR); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2013: Heaps (SR); Munns (SR); Hill (SO); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2014: Hill (JR); Kuresa (FR); Magnum (RS)

2015: Hill (SR); Kuresa (SO); Magnum (FR)


Spiff - iirc - Nelson is getting a Medical Redshirt for last season and has 2 years left to play. I may have that wrong - and your reputation for being factually correct is nearly impeccable - nearly.



So does he have 2 years to go after having played in 2 1/2 games in 2011 before getting the season ending injury?



I would have noted this sooner - but my iphone still cannot log into CC so I had to wait until I was back at my desk.
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
Key to success at BYU is to lock up the top 1-2 LDS QBs every couple of years. From there, gotta get playmakers around them. We seem to have the QB issue sorted, not gotta get the playmakers. Davonte Neal types. Need one of those every 2 years, minimum.


You need one of those at every position every year. Preferably two. Think HC, injury, homesickness, flamers, did I mention HC, missions, academic casualties, and whatever I left out - oh early NFL defections - I knew there was something else. Oh - attitude - OC - clean out the QB's locker type things. Entitlement issues.



The BYU Basketball team reminded us of what we have been reminded of before - you need depth to win Championships because stuff happens and a rising tide actually struggles to raise broken boats with large leaks.



For example - this year at WR - we have Ross Apo whom we assume will be all everything - like we assumed last year - but is one broken finger away form not being on the field and who surprisingly got run down from behind by a linebacker in Spring drills and who may have run into a fence during practice or was that Hoffman? We have Jacobsen who was a stud as a freshman and then kind of disappeared and may be back or not. And then we have Hoffman. Luckily, I read that there may be a 4th receiver who is ahead of Drew Phillips at the moment. Although all of this compares quite nicely with last year - we should have this kind of a stable of horses or better every year because - stuff hapens.
B
BroncoBot
"For example - this year at WR - we have Ross Apo whom we assume will be all everything - like we assumed last year - but is one broken finger away form not being on the field and who surprisingly got run down from behind by a linebacker in Spring drills and who may have run into a fence during practice or was that Hoffman? We have Jacobsen who was a stud as a freshman and then kind of disappeared and may be back or not. And then we have Hoffman. Luckily, I read that there may be a 4th receiver who is ahead of Drew Phillips at the moment. Although all of this compares quite nicely with last year - we should have this kind of a stable of horses or better every year because - stuff hapens." Cougarbib2



ANd now we have Falslev!!!!!! Here's to hoping the kid is as money this year as he was pure energy last year.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
So here's the QB timeline as I see it:



2011: Heaps (SO); Nelson (SR); Lark (JR); Munns (SO); Hill (RS); Kuresa (RS/mission)

2012: Heaps (JR); Lark (SR); Munns (JR); Hill (FR); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2013: Heaps (SR); Munns (SR); Hill (SO); Magnum (mission); Kuresa (mission)

2014: Hill (JR); Kuresa (FR); Magnum (RS)

2015: Hill (SR); Kuresa (SO); Magnum (FR)


Spiff - iirc - Nelson is getting a Medical Redshirt for last season and has 2 years left to play. I may have that wrong - and your reputation for being factually correct is nearly impeccable - nearly.



So dose he have 2 years to go after having played in 2 1/2 games in 2011 before getting the season ending injury?



I would have noted this sooner - but my iphone still cannot log into CC so I had to wait until I was back at my desk.

BYUcougars.com lists Riley as a JR, so maybe he did get the medical RS.
S
storminmormon
After watching that video, all I can say is "Wow!". This guy may be the best athlete we've recruited at QB in a long time. 4.5 speed at QB, nice moves and a cannon arm. The comparison someone made to Steve Young looks dead-on. Tons of potential in this guy. He's a much bigger get than Kuresa or Magnum (who are great recruits in their own right).
D
drewage81
With Kuresa, Hill, and Magnum, coach Doman seems to be recruiting athletic QBs. That might give us some insight into what kind of Offense he wants to run after Heaps goes pro.
M
Mars


Correct me if I'm wrong here (and if you dare)...



2011: Heaps, Nelson, Lark... Munns, Stewart, Heap, McEwen

2012: Heaps, Lark, T. Hill... Hamblin, Pulsipher, Brown, M. Hill

2013: Heaps , Hill, Kuresa (Andrew Elffers?)

2014: Hill, Kuresa, Mangum

2015: Hill, Mangum, Kuresa

2016: Mangum, Kuresa

2017: Mangum
S
SpiffCoug
If Nelson is a JR this year, he'll be back next year. I'm excited for the Hill signing, because I'm not sold on Kuresa as a D1 QB. He's a poor man's Riley Nelson. Nelson is a good backup D1 QB. I'm not even sure Kuresa is even close to that level.



So by bringing in Hill, we can bridge the gap between Heaps and Mangum and will give both QBs (Hill/Mangum) time to learn in the program before having to play too early.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.