Archived Topic

Spring Football Overview

by snoscythe · 4/7/2011

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Here is a pretty decent overview of Spring Practices to date:



http://bleacherreport.com/articles/656327-byu-spring-football-practice-update-offensive-depth-chart-qustions-and-answers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/150/402/90975132_crop_340x234.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I just wish he would have mentioned KVN running down Ross Apo from behind. I just can't hear that recounted enough!
J
jonnylingo
One part that stood out was Phillips. Seems like he is struggling to fit in at this point. I sure hope he ends up being a success story. Hope all that is going on outside football doesn't hurt his confidence inside football.



also interesting points about falslev.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm not too worried about Phillips from a football standpoint. He's on a redshirt freshman. Some players take several years before finding their groove on the field.
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm not too worried about Phillips from a football standpoint. He's on a redshirt freshman. Some players take several years before finding their groove on the field.


I'm worried that he won't be able to keep his head on straight long enough to find that groove. Sometimes it seems like he's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Hopefully he'll get enough touches on the field to help him stay motivated to keep himself straight off the field.
M
Mars


He is absolutely correct about Falslev, as I have already stated earlier elsewhere. In my opinion, JD has clearly passed Jacobsen by as the best slot receiver, and if it were up to me McKay would be starting the 2011 season as the first WR off of the bench. If you want to put him ahead of Matt Marshall, that is.



I also like Lark's production better than Nelson's at QB, going by the stats and their comparative strengths. This is a down-field offense now, and Lark fits that mold much better.



Mike Hague has been a revelation on defense. It's the blue-print Nelson should try to copy in Fall (I wish).



Munns may as well move to the O-line.



Kariya is the blue-zone RB. JJ is the yardage RB. Juice is the do-it-all plus receiving RB. They still combine to form a 3-headed monster. A lot like last year.



Justin Sorensen will be an awesome kicker, it seems at this point.



Yes, Drew Phillips is MIA, but so are Marcus Mathews, Hafoka, K. Friel, Jordan Black, and Famika Anae. Putnam, Stout, and Ian Dulan on defense. Wilson sitting out Spring too, along with Ogletree.





Overall, too many guys are sitting out with injuries, academics, honor code problems, or simply aren't here yet. Adam Timo-Hine. Joe Sampson. Thomas Bryson. Pendleton. Atkinson. Eason. Gaines. Houk. Jorgensen. Mitch Mathews. Thompson. Wagner. Fuga. Richardson. Keoshian. Yeck. Afo. Aguirre. O'Neill Chambers.



Fall will be much, MUCH more interesting!!
Advertisement
B
bball
The team in this spring camp is light years ahead of last year. Last year we had a lot of freshmen, unsettled positions, and injuries and a lot of question marks. This year the kids are older, experienced, a lot of competition, more skill, more speed, more talent, no injuries--plus, the offense comes out like gangbusters. Plus, there is little doubt the defense will be significantly better next year than last.



The optimism for me is that this all translates into some great football out of the schute in the fall, which means have a very good shot at winning our first two games, away at Ole Miss and Texas, and if that happens, it's a very likely undefeated season we're looking at.
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


He is absolutely correct about Falslev, as I have already stated earlier elsewhere. In my opinion, JD has clearly passed Jacobsen by as the best slot receiver, and if it were up to me McKay would be starting the 2011 season as the first WR off of the bench. If you want to put him ahead of Matt Marshall, that is.



I also like Lark's production better than Nelson's at QB, going by the stats and their comparative strengths. This is a down-field offense now, and Lark fits that mold much better.



Mike Hague has been a revelation on defense. It's the blue-print Nelson should try to copy in Fall (I wish).



Munns may as well move to the O-line.



Kariya is the blue-zone RB. JJ is the yardage RB. Juice is the do-it-all plus receiving RB. They still combine to form a 3-headed monster. A lot like last year.



Justin Sorensen will be an awesome kicker, it seems at this point.



Yes, Drew Phillips is MIA, but so are Marcus Mathews, Hafoka, K. Friel, Jordan Black, and Famika Anae. Putnam, Stout, and Ian Dulan on defense. Wilson sitting out Spring too, along with Ogletree.





Overall, too many guys are sitting out with injuries, academics, honor code problems, or simply aren't here yet. Adam Timo-Hine. Joe Sampson. Thomas Bryson. Pendleton. Atkinson. Eason. Gaines. Houk. Jorgensen. Mitch Mathews. Thompson. Wagner. Fuga. Richardson. Keoshian. Yeck. Afo. Aguirre. O'Neill Chambers.



Fall will be much, MUCH more interesting!!


What stats are you looking at. I did see your post elsewhere saying Lark has more yards per catch. While that may be true - I have not seen those stats. Where are they posted. The summaries I have seen, though, showed Nelson having higher completion % and total yards so I would be interested in the YPC stats if they are available - but YPC is just one variable.



Nelson beat out Heaps very narrowly last year with Bronco, Anae, and Doman making the call and we ended up with 2QB because it was only by a hair. This year, so far, Nelson, fresh off surgery, has beaten out Lark and Munns with Bronco, Doman, and Doman making the call - counted Doman twice because he is OC and QB coach. I have to wonder at what point you might consider that he may actually be a decent QB because this year they are not running two separate offenses and Nelson has ouplayed Heaps statistically a couple of times and it has been the opposite all of the other times, but I never saw stats for any day where Lark ouplayed Nelson.



Hopefully we have 4 really good QBs and hopefully we will only need one of them - Jake Heaps.



Go Cougs
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.