Archived Topic

Texas Spring Game

by YBrit · 4/3/2011

Advertisement
Y
YBrit
Saw some bits of it. Looks like BYU is playing Boise St in 2011 after all. I only watched one series but their QB is no better yet. I like our chances
B
BigCougsFan
Its a spring game. Don't put too much merit into it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
hookemhorns
Honestly, if everyone would have looked other worldly I wouldn't have put much merit into it and that goes with any team. I'm just glad we came out of this Spring injury free!! Heck, if BYU looks mediocre for their Spring game I won't read anything into it. I know we'll be facing a very good opponent come September either way. Frankly, I like the Spring game for 2 big reasons, 1. Recruiting and 2. Just to see my Alma Mater on the field again no matter how bad or well they play. It's fun taking my kids to get autographs and to enjoy the college atmosphere once again. Ahh, sometimes I miss those college days.



Hook 'em

Steven
T
tmoney35
hookemhorns wrote:
I'm just glad we came out of this Spring injury free!!


We're not out of spring yet...thanks for jinxing us! ;)
Advertisement
H
hookemhorns
Sorry, my bad! LOL
M
Mars


Okafor nasty
H
hookemhorns
Yeah, glad to see Alex moving back to his natural position. Very nice kid to boot and hope he stays strong and healthy.
H
Hookem
First of all, I should probably have my screen named changed so as not to be confused with hookemhorns. Sorry, hookemhorns.



Thought I would post over here today, since most of our boards seem to be in a heated debate as to who is the best qb is. I get a little tired of the negativity. We really got spoiled with Colt and Vince there for a few years.



Not sold on Little McCoy just yet, I guess I'm still holding out hope that Gilbert finds his groove. I think he could be great for us if he gains some confidence. I just hope last year didn't ruin him.



Like I've said before, our o-line is what concerns me the most, but having to go against guys like Okafor, Randle, and Jeffcoat everyday should make them better, I hope. :~(



Overall the play-calling was quite vanilla, Mack seems to have taken a complete 180 from when he first came to Texas, and has become quite secretive about the what's being implemented into the program. Before, we had several open practices throughout spring and pre-season. That's all changed. Probably for the best.



However, it was fun "not" to know what play was about to be run before the ball snapped. Something, I think Texas fans (& opponents) grew accustomed to the past few years. I think we'll be better next year, but just how much and how soon, I don't know.



I think we'll definately be in a dogfight come the second week in September with you guys, regardless.
G
Guest
If you want to change your username Hookem, then send me a PM with what you want it to be and I'll change it for you.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I was talking with one of our RBs this past week who mentioned the difference an O-line makes. Almost all our o-line starters are out with offseason surgeries giving the younger hogs a chance to play.



He said finding running seams was harder than last year with so many backup against the more veteran D-line. He mentioned that our D-line has been pushing some of our young guys a bit. Even despite that, our offense has been able to move the ball. I hope Texas gets their oline issues fixed.



as for secrecy, Utah Utes coach Kyle Whittingham kicked out a former BYU player who's now with some local Utah media who was covering a Ute football practice last year. The implication is pretty clear. I for one believe secrecy is a good thing, but it can go too far.
H
Hookem
Yeah, the o-line is the most underrated component of an offense, imo. The fact that you guys have been able to move the ball still, probably says a lot for your OC, and the scheme he's implemented. It could also be a good sign that your QB is just doing a good job.



With the exception of Colt's freshman yr, it seems that our o-line has been a concern nearly every year since. Some have argued that it's scheme, others have argued that it's misevaluating talent, or simply both. Either way, I have high hopes that Harsin/Applewhite and Searels will get it turned around before too long. Though, next year is going to be a work in progress.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.