Archived Topic

Harmon hits one out of the park

by hawkwing · 3/29/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
Dick Harmon's latest article is fantastic. It brings to light, and holds up for public scrutiny the anti-Mormon rhetoric coming from a small group of bigots in a central location.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700122458/Jimmer-Fredette-bashing-column-the-latest-in-a-litany-of-criticism-from-Colorado.html?pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Reilly commentary stands alone as the most vitriolic, acidic shakedown of the Cougar All-American in his career.



Why did Reilly's commentary appear to be so personal, a piece filled with shots at religion, laced with clear dislike, patent animosity and loathing?



Here is a theory.



A brief step back in history might enlighten you. There is a track record dating back almost three decades of this particular brand of commentary originating from sportswriters with ties to the Denver market and Boulder — home of the University of Colorado — in particular.



It seems to be based on a resentment for Utah, the LDS conservative culture in general and BYU specifically.


Read the entire article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700122458/Jimmer-Fredette-bashing-column-the-latest-in-a-litany-of-criticism-from-Colorado.html?pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L
Lawboy
Explains why the Buffs were a perfect fit for the PAC-12, and BYU is not. Without knowing it, was something that the Cal's of the wold would aspire to.
Y
YBrit
Y4LYFE | 11:23 a.m. March 29, 2011

Lubbock, TX

I didn't need to see this pattern to know he falls into the pattern of a major doosh.
C
CougarPeasant
A good read. Harmon, the defender of truth, justice and the way of the Jimmer.



and Reilly's a douche, spelled properly
E
EM_Puma
I saw someone had created a Fire Rick Reilly website, but now there is just a header there. Maybe that's all there ever was and it was a joke.



http://firerickreilly.com/2011/03/25/rick-reillys-%20jimmer-fredette-hatchet-piece/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



After reading DM's article, I think ESPN needs to issue a retraction of the portion of the original article that included shots at LDS. Can you imagine if he'd have done that to someone who was Jewish or Catholic? He'd be packing his bags already. Sometimes we turn our cheeks so often we look like a bobble-head doll.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Good one Puma!!!! F.M.D.I.H.-slap that guy!
U
Ungoy
EM_Puma wrote:
I saw someone had created a Fire Rick Reilly website, but now there is just a header there. Maybe that's all there ever was and it was a joke.



http://firerickreilly.com/2011/03/25/rick-reillys-%20jimmer-fredette-hatchet-piece/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



After reading DM's article, I think ESPN needs to issue a retraction of the portion of the original article that included shots at LDS. Can you imagine if he'd have done that to someone who was Jewish or Catholic? He'd be packing his bags already. Sometimes we turn our cheeks so often we look like a bobble-head doll.




Here's the page you're looking for I believe.



http://firerickreilly.com/2011/03/25/rick-reillys-jimmer-fredette-hatchet-piece/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
CougarClaw
EM_Puma wrote:
Can you imagine if he'd have done that to someone who was Jewish or Catholic? He'd be packing his bags already. Sometimes we turn our cheeks so often we look like a bobble-head doll.


Have you ever wondered why so many american cars have native american names? (Tahoe, Pontiac, cherokee, tilamook, and others)



It's because they are the world's smallest demographic and are least likely to cause a ruccous over their names being used.





that being said, at this rate I expect to see a Chevy Ammon or a Ford Helaman coming soon
M
Metal Bubba
Wow, that came from Dick Harmon? Color me shocked. I didn't know he had it in him. If I had four thumbs, I'd give him a quaduple thumbs up!
S
scott715
You know Reilly should be fired. Others have been for lesser comments than this.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
scott715 wrote:
You know Reilly should be fired. Others have been for lesser comments than this.


You're right on the second sentence, but I don't agree. Reilly shouldn't be fired, and ESPN shouldn't issue an apology. The column was incredibly douche-y, but I don't want it to turn into "Rick Reilly got fired/ESPN issued an apology because a bunch of Mormons got worked up over something he wrote." Think of the press release the church issued when Big Love did the whole temple ceremony thing.



Let him keep churning out garbage and burn up whatever goodwill he had (and honestly that's quite a bit, I used to think RR was THE MAN when he wrote for SI). Being LDS means having thick skin sometimes.



P.S. I was already pissed off at Rick Reilly earlier this month for an article he wrote against the high schooler in Iowa who forfeited the wrestling playoffs because it went against his religious beliefs to wrestle a girl. Repeat; Reilly went after a HIGH SCHOOLER for his religious beliefs. I think not wrestling w/ a girl for strictly doctrinal reasons is a little goofy, but the worst harm you could claim is that it gave the girl some unwanted attention (which RR played up big time). If a kid thinks wrestling against a girl is wrong, and the consequences of his action are mostly to his own detriment, why go after the kid (once again, KID) on the #1 sports site in the country?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.