Archived Topic

The Jimmer is AP All American

by hawkwing · 3/28/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
The Jimmer received 64 of 65 first team votes for Associated Press First Team All-American.



Makes you wonder if old Reilly has a vote in it?
E
EM_Puma
I was bugged that one of the 65 saw things differently until I saw the voting for the other folks on the 1st team and Jimmer "Jimmered" (I have to use that at least one more time as I'm going through withdrawl) the additonal first team players by being on more first place ballots that all the rest. I guess I feel half-glass empty knowing that if it hadn't been for one derelict voter, he would have been the only consensus AP All-American.



Great season Jimmer
U
Ungoy
hawkwing wrote:
Makes you wonder if old Reilly has a vote in it?


Or Tre'von...
Y
Yndian
EM_Puma wrote:
I guess I feel half-glass empty knowing that if it hadn't been for one derelict voter, he would have been the only consensus AP All-American.


As far as I understand it, the term "consensus" isn't usually used with individual polls. The Consensus All-American team is determined using a point system reflecting a player's position on the four main All-American lists (the AP, The National Association of Basketball Coaches, the US Basketball Writers Association and Sporting News), where players get three points for each First Team nomination, two for Second Team and one for Third Team, then the ten players with the most points make up the First and Second Consensus All-American teams.



Can anyone back me up or set me straight on this?
S
snoscythe
Yndian wrote:
I guess I feel half-glass empty knowing that if it hadn't been for one derelict voter, he would have been the only consensus AP All-American.


As far as I understand it, the term "consensus" isn't usually used with individual polls. The Consensus All-American team is determined using a point system reflecting a player's position on the four main All-American lists (the AP, The National Association of Basketball Coaches, the US Basketball Writers Association and Sporting News), where players get three points for each First Team nomination, two for Second Team and one for Third Team, then the ten players with the most points make up the First and Second Consensus All-American teams.



Can anyone back me up or set me straight on this?


That's almost exactly what Wikipedia says, so I'd guess you're on the mark.
Advertisement
Y
Yndian
I had read it originally on the NCAA's website, so that must be where they got it too.
C
CougarPeasant
Consensus doesn't mean unanimous.



Great honor Jimmer. Well deserved.
S
SpiffCoug
While not unanimous, I'm guess 64 of 65 votes is about as large of a consensus as there could be without it being unanimous. I'm not a math major, but I think my numbers are right.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.