Archived Topic

2012 - Tanner Mangum - verbal commit

by jvquarterback · 3/28/2011

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IavTuP4iMNQ



Strong arm. Decent mechanics when he isn't hopping around or scrambling. A few really good reads.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, but can he throw blindfolded?
G
Guest
Mangum has verbally committed to BYU.
S
SpiffCoug
This is a great get. BYU needs the heir apparent to Heaps. Although if he has mission plans, BYU is probably going to need a JC QB to fill in the gap.



Here are some of the schools interested in Tanner: Arkansas, Boise, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, Utah, Washington St. There are some good schools after him. I'm very excited for this.
U
urroner
SpiffCoug wrote:
This is a great get. BYU needs the heir apparent to Heaps. Although if he has mission plans, BYU is probably going to need a JC QB to fill in the gap.



Here are some of the schools interested in Tanner: Arkansas, Boise, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, Utah, Washington St. There are some good schools after him. I'm very excited for this.


Are you including Utah as one of the "some good schools?" :sulk:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, the Utes have been a good club the last 8 years. They produced a #1 draft pick and now have an OC who has coached a few 1st round QBs. And given the Utes ability to identify talent at other positions, it's safe to assume Mangum is talented.



Of course the biggest indication of how talented and smart he is are these: 1) he was offered by BYU and 2) he accepted said offer to BYU.
B
Brayden Green
The real indicator of talent is if he coaches at the U after attending BYU for college.
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
The real indicator of talent is if he coaches at the U after attending BYU for college.

+32.
B
byucougar1
Brandon Huffman, West Scout National Recruiting Analyst, summarized the play of QBs attending Eilte 11 Camp and indicated that Tanner was very good, strong-armed, athletic and believes BYU could have another outstanding Eilte 11 QB.



http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1072050.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L
Lawboy
Also means he should be at least a 4* by 2012. Nice get.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Additional information from Brandon Gurney:



"The final participants for the final Elite 11 will be named in a couple of weeks, shortly after they finish up the final regional camp held at Ohio State on May 20. "



Mangum stated,“I’ll admit to being a little nervous going in,” he said. “I’ve played well against competition here in Idaho, but you never really know how you’re going to stack up against all those kids from the big schools in Southern California, until you’re actually there. Now, after being through all that, I’m very confident that I belong there, and I can play and compete against the very best.”
G
Guest
byucougar1 wrote:
Additional information from Brandon Gurney:



"The final participants for the final Elite 11 will be named in a couple of weeks, shortly after they finish up the final regional camp held at Ohio State on May 20. "



Mangum stated,“I’ll admit to being a little nervous going in,” he said. “I’ve played well against competition here in Idaho, but you never really know how you’re going to stack up against all those kids from the big schools in Southern California, until you’re actually there. Now, after being through all that, I’m very confident that I belong there, and I can play and compete against the very best.”


Please post a link to the story this quote comes from. Thanks!
B
byucougar1
From his twitter notes today.
B
byucougar1
Bleacher Reporter Edwin Weathersby (6/15/11) rated Tanner as the #17 QB prospect in the country. Says this about him:



6'2", 185 pounds, Mangum looks like an average QB. Then you grade him out on tape and see that he's actually really, really good. He just gets it done, as the game comes pretty easy to him.



Mangum makes solid decisions, lets his skill players do their thing by delivering the football in position for them to make plays, and has pretty accuracy. His arm strength is good enough to be a threat to all defensive levels.



BYU has him locked up.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.