Archived Topic

Will we have to wait another 30 years???

by crh55 · 3/25/2011

Advertisement
C
crh55
I hope it won't take another 30 years to see this kind of run again. It is tough with the honor code, but i hope we can keep playing this caliber of basketball without having to have one of the best players in the country.



Jimmer and Danny Ainge are 2 players that come along once in a generation and it seems like we need one of these types of guys to carry us to the Sweet 16. I just hope we won't have to wait until my 3 year old is married to see this happen again.
D
Dcr36
crh55 wrote:
I hope it won't take another 30 years to see this kind of run again. It is tough with the honor code, but i hope we can keep playing this caliber of basketball without having to have one of the best players in the country.



Jimmer and Danny Ainge are 2 players that come along once in a generation and it seems like we need one of these types of guys to carry us to the Sweet 16. I just hope we won't have to wait until my 3 year old is married to see this happen again.


I do/don't agree. Teams that advance to the second weekend and beyond usually have the three following traits: a) a clear-cut team leader who can make the big plays, b) a solid cast of role-players/guys who can step up and have big games, and c) good coaching.



I don't think that first trait has to be a Jimmer/Ainge once in a generation type of guy. I know history doesn't back me up here, but I really feel like if we just get a player every few years who has draft potential and a good skill set we stand a chance to repeat.



BYU's ability to have the second attribute improved this year, in my mind. Granted, we were a less balanced team this year than last year, but I was impressed how EVERY position got better. Davies was a beast and really came out of NOWHERE to suddenly become one of our best players. Collinsworth became a solid option for the end of the season. Hartsock added the long-ball to his game. Defense was better all-around this year than in the past. It seems like BYU's coaching has the ability to legitimately capitalize and improve upon the skillsets for PGs, SGs, and post guys. Prior to this season, I felt like everybody except the guards were in a state of stasis.



I think someone mentioned it elsewhere, but I'll state it again: If I'm Tom Holmoe, my #1 priority for the next few weeks is making sure Coach Rose is happy and sticking around. We need this type of effort and improvement out of our players, and that's a direct result of good coaching.



(Subscript: While I think Rose is a great coach, this next year bears a lot of similarities, in my opinion, to the one Bronco just came off of: if Rose can continue to win despite losing so much talent, we'll know we've got the real deal.)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.