Archived Topic

Forde's BYU comment of being part of a loser situation

by urroner · 3/23/2011

Advertisement
U
urroner
Forde, of ESPN, made a prediction of winners and losers.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6246052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



He said that because of BYU, Bourbon St. was going to be a loser.


Loser: Bourbon Street. With BYU among the four teams headed to New Orleans, potential revenues from some of that locale's drinking and entertaining establishments could be down 25 percent.


He also included BYU in two groups of winners, though I can't quite agree on the second one, but I guess a losing organization can be a whiner winner occasionally.


Winner: The power of team. Florida State was supposed to be doomed by the February injury to its best player, Chris Singleton. BYU was supposed to be doomed after the late-season suspension of Brandon Davies. Yet here they both are, in the Sweet 16, and not thanks to any kind of fluke circumstances. The Seminoles beat Texas A&M and then crushed Notre Dame, with Singleton contributing a total of five points and four rebounds to the cause. The Cougars beat Wofford and then demolished Gonzaga without their third-leading scorer and leading rebounder. Kudos to both teams for not letting a personnel loss -- no matter how significant -- end their season.


WhinerWinner: The Mountain West Conference, which has two teams in the Sweet 16 for the first time in San Diego State and BYU.


He even said that Coach Rose was a winner.


Winners: Coaches on the rise. Shaka Smart of VCU, Chris Mooney of Richmond, Buzz Williams of Marquette and Dave Rose of BYU all should have either a higher-profile job or a much-enhanced contract by the time this season is over.
C
CannonCougar85
I agree with the part about Rose. As soon as the final buzzer sounds on this season Holmoe better be in talks with Rose about increasing his salary considerably. What does Rose make now? 700K? They should be able to bump that up to around 1 million with this new Independence contract.



If Rose decides to stay he could be considered the Lavell Edwards of BYU basketball. Name the court after him and everything.
I
imuakahuku
CannonCougar85 wrote:
I agree with the part about Rose. As soon as the final buzzer sounds on this season Holmoe better be in talks with Rose about increasing his salary considerably. What does Rose make now? 700K? They should be able to bump that up to around 1 million with this new Independence contract.



If Rose decides to stay he could be considered the Lavell Edwards of BYU basketball. Name the court after him and everything.




Hmmmm... Rose Arena.... Kinda has a ring to it I would say :)
C
CougarClaw
imuakahuku wrote:



Hmmmm... Rose Arena.... Kinda has a ring to it I would say :)


I wonder what the Marriott's would say to that.
U
urroner
CougarClaw wrote:



Hmmmm... Rose Arena.... Kinda has a ring to it I would say :)


I wonder what the Marriott's would say to that.


Marriott and Rose Arena - the Mr. Arena

Rose and Marriott Arena - The RM Arena



Sounds catchy to me either way. The first would encourage more women to come looking for a husband or for their husband. The second would cause great guilt to all the jocks who refuse to do the set in stone Lord's will and go on a mission. :whistle:
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
You can leave it the Marriott Center - just name the court after him. A lot of places have dual names like that.



And name the nets after Jimmer, because that's all his shots ever touch. ;) Or perhaps the scoreboard... :evil:
B
BigCougsFan
Marriott Center: House of Rose :skeptic:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
BYU might do for Rose what the Jazz did for Larry Miller, and just name the court after him. The building would be the Marriott Center, but it would be the Dave Rose Court or something to that effect.



*EDIT* And that's what I get for not refreshing the page before I posted. Redneckjedi beat me to it, like an hour ago.
D
Ddawg
imuakahuku wrote:
I agree with the part about Rose. As soon as the final buzzer sounds on this season Holmoe better be in talks with Rose about increasing his salary considerably. What does Rose make now? 700K? They should be able to bump that up to around 1 million with this new Independence contract.



If Rose decides to stay he could be considered the Lavell Edwards of BYU basketball. Name the court after him and everything.




Hmmmm... Rose Arena.... Kinda has a ring to it I would say :)




No - no - no!! "Big Dave's Downtown Hoops Hall" Whadya think?? LOL!!! :whistle:
S
SenorCougar
This may be a stretch, but......



To be Title IX compliant, I believe there was a women's bball player that took the girls team high in the NCAA playoff named Erin Thorne.



How about the Rose Thorne arena?



Ouch....
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.