Archived Topic

Coach Rose

by SoCalCoug · 3/21/2011

Advertisement
S
SoCalCoug
Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but when something great happens to BYU I'm always expecting something bad to bring me back down to earth. This was definitely one of the best weekends of my life with our boys heading to the Sweet 16, so I hope someone can clear something up for me.



I know some on here have said that there are certain sites where they do not trust information, but I'm not as familiar with the rivalries between all the Cougar sites. One of them has a thread saying that Coach Rose has already decided to go to Utah after this season, but they obviously wont announce it until our season is done. Can anyone settle my stomach? I feel like this forum is the one to go to for the real scoop.
C
CannonCougar85
SoCalCoug wrote:
Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but when something great happens to BYU I'm always expecting something bad to bring me back down to earth. This was definitely one of the best weekends of my life with our boys heading to the Sweet 16, so I hope someone can clear something up for me.



I know some on here have said that there are certain sites where they do not trust information, but I'm not as familiar with the rivalries between all the Cougar sites. One of them has a thread saying that Coach Rose has already decided to go to Utah after this season, but they obviously wont announce it until our season is done. Can anyone settle my stomach? I feel like this forum is the one to go to for the real scoop.


I would suggest watching his post game press conference and then see how you feel.

http://www.ncaa.com/menshighlights

Under the Highlights section click on Pressers then find it from there. Roses comments start with about 6 minutes left.
B
BYUROCKS
I see Dave leaving to the U, Dave RICE, Rose is not going anywhere.
Y
Yndian
It amuses me that this is even a rumor.
L
Lawboy
I am not surprised by the Rose to Utah rumors at all. Utah fan baords have been discussing it since December, so it probably has momentum on the Utah fan end, but no legs in the real world. Plus, after this great tourney run, with how Coach Rose represents BYU, and will more $$ coming in the door, expect a nice raise for the men's hoops coach. He and his wife love it at BYU.
Advertisement
Y
Yndian
Lawboy wrote:
I am not surprised by the Rose to Utah rumors at all. Utah fan baords have been discussing it since December, so it probably has momentum on the Utah fan end, but no legs in the real world. Plus, after this great tourney run, with how Coach Rose represents BYU, and will more $$ coming in the door, expect a nice raise for the men's hoops coach. He and his wife love it at BYU.


To clarify, I meant that it amuses me that anyone that's not a fan/employee of Utah actually thinks Coach Rose would ever leave BYU for the U.



Keep dreaming, Utes.
B
BoiseBYU
Yndian wrote:
It amuses me that this is even a rumor.

Even Utah fans can dream can't they?
S
Schmoe
BoiseBYU wrote:
It amuses me that this is even a rumor.

Even Utah fans can dream can't they?


Yep, that's how nightmares are born.
S
stuckinbig10country
I don't see it as far fetched at all. I think it was more likely before winning 2 tourney games. I don't think he has had any direct discussions with the U of U, because he's still coaching. I believe that there has been some behind the scenes contact (Utah contacts agent, etc.)



Sources have said, anonamously, of course, when the announcement of moving to the WCC was made, Rose was not the most thrilled person. Other people, more recently, have said that he has backed off of that stance a little, looking at the exposure that ESPN can bring.



Also, he does have a great recruiting class coming in. That may keep him here.



If he is going to move, now is probably the time. Losing the starting backcourt, not having really developed anyone on the bench (makes me think he doesn't trust most of the returning team for next year), and he's as hot as he's going to be.



If he jumps to Utah, he has the opportunity to still get all of the great local kids he's after, and use the Pac-12 name to try and lure them. And, while he says that the honor code isn't a hinderance to recruiting, I'm sure he at times wishes that he didn't have to deal with it. Utah is the most logical choice of places to go if he leave. He probably wouldn't even have to actually move, has great recruiting ties here, and still can get the same kids, plus some others, that he was getting before.



I was thinking that Rose leaving has been a possiblility for a few years. Thought it was even more of a possibilitiy after leaving the MWC. Thought it was close to likely after the Davies situation. Now, I'm back to it being just a possibility. If BYU had lost to UNM or in the first two games of the NCAA's, I would have almost guaranteed he was gone.
J
jonnylingo
I don't see him leaving. But you never know. Things change when offers are made. Utah sucks. He won't go there. BYU has his back and while going to wcc is step down gonzaga does just fine there. with the exposure espn bring and his ability now to schedule higher profile out of conference games, byu will still be better off than they were in the mwc.



don't forget the mwc just go a lot worse. while its true their rpi takes a hit when they lose byu, it takes an even bigger hit bringing more crap teams like fresno state and nevada.
Advertisement
T
ThrowbackBlue
I can say with 100% CERTAINTY coach Rose is not going to Utah. Not now, not next year, not EVER!



This is pure rumor and speculation started by dillusional crimson club members.



I have spent a considerable amount of time lately with athletic administrators, coaches, university presidents, players, donors, media....... There is NO validity to this rumor whatsoever. Dave Rose is happier than he's ever been with his position at BYU and donors have already stepped up to ensure it stays that way. p
B
BroncoBot
I hope Dave Rose gives anyone from the u athletic dept trying to pry him away, the same treatment he gives to telephone scammers. A good, loud whistle, right in the phone.
B
Brayden Green
What are they going to do, pay him with borrowed money?



Coach Rose would be making coaching suicide going to the U. It is a bottomless program, that won't see a winning record for 3 more years minimum (wait, they ARE leaving the MWC for the Pac-none. Maybe they'll get SLIGHTLY over .500 in the next 3 years....)



Not to mention the fact that he would sever most, if not all, Provo and Timpview high school ties by going there. (Davies, the Collinsworth boys, Chris Miles, Ian Harward - Orem)
B
Brayden Green
declocoug wrote:
I hope Dave Rose gives anyone from the u athletic dept trying to pry him away, the same treatment he gives to telephone scammers. A good, loud whistle, right in the phone.


Or do what I do - ask them "What are you wearing right now?" (it actually works better if they are the same sex as you...)
H
HoosierCougar
Majerus always said "talk to the schools if they call. one day you may be ready and if they aren't looking for you, you'll be in trouble" or something like that. It's good advice (despite the source) and advice I have been given in my professional career: always talk to a head hunter. you may know someone they REALLY want to talk to.



that said, Tom Holmoe has 1 job right now: Keep Dave Rose Happy.
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
Forgive me for tooting my own thread, but I said as much Saturday night when I said Rose isn't going anywhere. He showed too much emotion to leave BYU. The deeper the run, the even more certain he stays since he knows he can have just as much success here as anywhere and he gets to do it at his Church's flagship university.



Just an observation: Rose has won 3 of the last 4 NCAA tournament games. Here's to going 4 for 4 in the next four. ;)



One further thing. As much as i love having Bronco as BYU's football coach, I actually admire and respect Dave Rose even more. He does the right things and says the right things nearly all the time. Never once have I seen anything he said or done used or twisted by the press trolls in Utah, unlike what happens to Bronco when he speaks his mind. I really think his character is exactly that of which a coach at BYU should have. For this, I admire him more than any other coach at BYU. I hope he continues coaching at BYU as long as he is willing and retires as BYU's most successful men's basketball coach.
S
SoCalCoug
I'm feeling much better, thanks everyone. I didn't make sense to me either, just seemed like some people were pretty adamant about it. I guess I have to become a better judge of character for these people who post rumors. I really hope donors are stepping up to reward Rose... I agree he couldn't be a better representative of BYU. Having said that, I would be pretty disappointed if Rice left as well. He deserves a shot as a HC, but selfishly I want him to stick around. He's been given a lot of credit for scheming after the BD situation and he has really prepared our team for this tourney. Plus, it's nice to have him on the recruiting trail. Maybe the whole staff will get a nice little bump in $ after this year.
L
Lawboy
Besides local talk show hosts like PK trying to mix it up just to get a rise out of everyone, which is his only trick, there is nothing to it at all. Not saying Rose will never leave, just saying it will not be for Utah. I mean, if UNC, Duke, Kentucky or UCLA came calling, you would have to listen. Otherwise, BYU may offer less $$, but the lifestyle is the best around, the support of the AD and fan base is great, and facilities are top notch. I take less $$ for lifestyle at my job, and it is worth it.
G
Gunk
Rose wouldn't leave to go coach his alma mater, so I don't see him leaving to go coach the pukes.
K
kiwibacon
ThrowbackBlue wrote:
I can say with 100% CERTAINTY coach Rose is not going to Utah. Not now, not next year, not EVER!



This is pure rumor and speculation started by dillusional crimson club members.



I have spent a considerable amount of time lately with athletic administrators, coaches, university presidents, players, donors, media....... There is NO validity to this rumor whatsoever. Dave Rose is happier than he's ever been with his position at BYU and donors have already stepped up to ensure it stays that way. p

Throwback, you have had good info before that ended up being correct so I will trust you with this information now. Thanks for your insight on the matter. :)
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.