Archived Topic

Caution: Extreme Highs precede Extreme Lows

by Mars · 3/20/2011

Advertisement
M
Mars


It happened to Gonzaga after smoking St. John's.

It happened to BYU after Jimmer dropped 52 on New Mexico, and after both SDSU wins.

It happened after the Oklahoma game and after 59-0.



Seriously though, did BYU even look this good when The Jimmer Show went on the road and double-digited SDSU for the 2nd time? Wow!
B
BoiseBYU
Mars wrote:


It happened to Gonzaga after smoking St. John's.

It happened to BYU after Jimmer dropped 52 on New Mexico, and after both SDSU wins.

It happened after the Oklahoma game and after 59-0.



Seriously though, did BYU even look this good when The Jimmer Show went on the road and double-digited SDSU for the 2nd time? Wow!

Good point. I think it will happen to FL come Thursday :lol:
C
Cougs_Rule
Mars, are you smokin the sweet weed and then doing valium?
B
BOID
I don't think so this time, Mars. These Cougars may have a bit of a drop-off from such a brilliant game as today's but I don't expect an extreme low. For one thing, as I had said in another thread, BYU is not exactly spoiled by success lately. They just today got their full mojo back with this game. I think they will stay on focus for a chance to get to the Elite Eight.



GO COUGARS !!!!!!!! 8)
W
WyoCoug
I think they're going to be great. It'll be different this time, I hope, because they'll have a few more days of rest than with the SDSU and UNM games, which should make a huge difference. I know they played hard tonight, but they didn't look tired. They made this win look easy. I think it'll give them the confidence they need to beat FL. :D
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Luv ya Mars - but - not THIS time! The Cougar Basketball Team has experienced, endured & overcome major challenges this year. They may get beat Thursday - but - not because of a let doen. No way!!! These guys are a solid team & on fire!!!!



Oooooohhh yeaaaaahhh!!!!!!! 8) :lol: :lol: :crazy:
B
BYUROCKS
Hey, I said if we make it to the sweet 16 I would be happy, AND I AM, anything from here is BONUS.



Lets play BONUS for 4 more weeks!
Y
YBrit
BYU has that confidence it needs.



BYU beats Florida in 3 OT and scores 99...I mean



BYU wins by 9 IMO!!!
B
BYUROCKS
YBrit wrote:
BYU has that confidence it needs.



BYU beats Florida in 3 OT and scores 99...I mean



BYU wins by 9 IMO!!!




If we go to 3 OT we will be playing Jimmer and 4 bench players.
C
CougarClaw
no one could have beaten the Cougars tonight. Not when you're shooting nearly 60% from the field and 50% from 3s.



While I don't expect that to continue, I do think this team is starting to get its new identity, post-brandon davies. That means KC understands he has to rebound and drive to the basket, the defense can back up Emery so he can take a few more risks, and it never hurts when one of your players shoots 100% (Hartsock)
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
I miss Michael Lloyd Jr.... :sulk:
B
BYUROCKS
jmvcougar wrote:
I miss Michael Lloyd Jr.... :sulk:




AMEN, if we had MLJ, DAVIS, and CC, I would have NO FEAR playing ANYONE, but without a backup for Jimmer, I wonder how many 40 minute games does he have ? 4 more ? I hope so!
M
Mars
BYUROCKS wrote:
Hey, I said if we make it to the sweet 16 I would be happy, AND I AM, anything from here is BONUS. Lets play BONUS for 4 more weeks!

That's exactly how I feel. BYU and Jimmer have lived up to their expectations this year, and more than done so without Brandon. Any win from here on out in gravy.



Then again at the same time, we've beat Florida in the Tourny before, and there's no Pitt or KSU left to face after that. Cougar Final Four dreams baby! Our school's never been there before...
C
CAFB_04-12
Agreed. If BYU can get through Florida I think they match up well against Butler or Wisconsin.
P
profgeek
There's also the fact that Jimmer hasn't really had a "way above average" (e.g. in the 40's) game since New Mexico. He's due. The other players dropping shots is what can open him up for such a game.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
jmvcougar wrote:
I miss Michael Lloyd Jr.... :sulk:


Not as much as he's missing BYU I'll bet.
M
MesaCougFan
I was utterly shocked (pleasantly!) by the teams all around performance last night. Their level of determination was greater than I had seen at any moment during this season. I'm not sure what brought it on, and I don't expect a repeat performance on Thursday. That being said, I don't believe that BYU needs a repeat performance to beat FL. I think Gonzaga beats FL had they played each other last night. Chandler Parsons is a good player for FL (maybe their best), but he won't impact the game Thursday as much as the 3 biggs for the Zags did last night. BYU wins even if their stats fall somewhere in between the stat sheets from Wofford and Gonzaga.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
profgeek wrote:
There's also the fact that Jimmer hasn't really had a "way above average" (e.g. in the 40's) game since New Mexico. He's due. The other players dropping shots is what can open him up for such a game.


I would disagree. Jimmer getting 40--or shall we say NEEDING to get 40- is not a good formula for this team. It usually means he had to get that many. If Jimmer keeps getting in the 30's and distributing and not forcing shots or taking desperation shots to keep us in the game, he plays much better.

Besides 30+ games are "way above average." Getting 40+ games is nigh unto super human, one-man show.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.