Archived Topic

Spring Practice Day 1

by snoscythe · 3/15/2011

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
From Greg Wrubell:



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=14733165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I love the energy coming out of camp---you can tell this team knows where it is going, unlike last Spring when no one knew where they were going. DuPaix and Cahoon seem to be homeruns for Bronco.



Love the confidence by Heaps, and love what Bronco had to say about the QB-non-dilemma. Only thing I wish he would have said differently would have been for him to make it clear that if Nelson or Lark were going to take the job away from Heaps they had to do it by the end of Spring instead of "Spring-slash-Fall" like he said. I understand the competitive spirit he is trying to develop, but there needs to be a CLEAR hierarchy at that position going into Summer.



Surprised at all the guys out with academic and team rules issues as well as those who simply aren't in school. Hopefully these guys get the message (or the Stanford list?) well before Fall camp.



Feels great to have real football reports and to start putting rumor-season behind us.
G
Guest
As I said in today's podcast, check out http://www.ratemyprofessor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you need some easy classes!
F
fifthqb
Sounds like an intense day. I was very tempted to wait 20 minutes longer on campus to try and catch a glimpse or two of practice. Hard not to see a lot of people there, but hey I prefer the quiet non-shows to the mid-season-dream-crushing announcements. If players aren't going to commit I figure its best they show that now. That being said.. most those guys got to get their issues cleared up. We need all the people in the secondary that we can get.



Really exciting to hear Heaps talk about being on the same page with the Offensive coordinator this season. Gotta have good chemistry between the play caller and the QB.



Also, excited to see my St.George boys playing well. Glad to see Mees playing well in coverage after his injury vs. TCU (he was a dominate safety in high school), and Foote getting some carries. Wouldn't be spring if I wasn't promoting Lark. Nice day 3-4 for 53 yards not bad for a backup. I think it should be clear that he is our backup. If we want to be able to run the same plays as we do with Heaps, Lark is going to have to be the 2 guy. No way Nelson can run Heap's offense.
C
CougarClaw
DuPaix and Cahoon seem like homeruns. Especially in some areas of need.



Couple of quesitons: Notice how many of those on the injured list have "OL" listed next to them?



Wrubell conveniently omitted Kariya from the RB's list even if he preemptively admits to

a few gaffes.



I'd like to hear from Lance Reynolds what he's going to do with the TEs this year to get them back into the offense.
C
Cougs_Rule
fifthqb wrote:
Sounds like an intense day. I was very tempted to wait 20 minutes longer on campus to try and catch a glimpse or two of practice. Hard not to see a lot of people there, but hey I prefer the quiet non-shows to the mid-season-dream-crushing announcements. If players aren't going to commit I figure its best they show that now. That being said.. most those guys got to get their issues cleared up. We need all the people in the secondary that we can get.



Really exciting to hear Heaps talk about being on the same page with the Offensive coordinator this season. Gotta have good chemistry between the play caller and the QB.



Also, excited to see my St.George boys playing well. Glad to see Mees playing well in coverage after his injury vs. TCU (he was a dominate safety in high school), and Foote getting some carries. Wouldn't be spring if I wasn't promoting Lark. Nice day 3-4 for 53 yards not bad for a backup. I think it should be clear that he is our backup. If we want to be able to run the same plays as we do with Heaps, Lark is going to have to be the 2 guy. No way Nelson can run Heap's offense.


WHAT?? You're cutting out Nelson so soon? But what about his leadership? What about the fact that he "can make all the throws?" ;-). SHeesh! The Aggies would not have discarded him thusly.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
I have a feeling that dmcougar isn't exactly a fan of nelson. Lets just put the whole nelson issue to bed. One local radio host said last year that nelson should not be starting for any team from Logan to Provo. Lark is 2 Jake is 1. Bronco said that open competition to just give the media and all of us something to fret about



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
what about day 2????? I saw them out there today. I dn't think my life will be complete unless I know whether the 1s played against the 2s and how many more passes Lark completed vs Nelson.
M
Mars


Uh... from a quick stat-check, it seems like we aren't running the ball a whole lot. Or very well. Better defense and more emphasis on the passing game?
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Sounds like an intense day. I was very tempted to wait 20 minutes longer on campus to try and catch a glimpse or two of practice. Hard not to see a lot of people there, but hey I prefer the quiet non-shows to the mid-season-dream-crushing announcements. If players aren't going to commit I figure its best they show that now. That being said.. most those guys got to get their issues cleared up. We need all the people in the secondary that we can get.



Really exciting to hear Heaps talk about being on the same page with the Offensive coordinator this season. Gotta have good chemistry between the play caller and the QB.



Also, excited to see my St.George boys playing well. Glad to see Mees playing well in coverage after his injury vs. TCU (he was a dominate safety in high school), and Foote getting some carries. Wouldn't be spring if I wasn't promoting Lark. Nice day 3-4 for 53 yards not bad for a backup. I think it should be clear that he is our backup. If we want to be able to run the same plays as we do with Heaps, Lark is going to have to be the 2 guy. No way Nelson can run Heap's offense.


WHAT?? You're cutting out Nelson so soon? But what about his leadership? What about the fact that he "can make all the throws?" ;-). SHeesh! The Aggies would not have discarded him thusly.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We fired all the coaches. Now you don't trust the new regime to get it right. I doubt anyone will unseat Heaps unless Heaps starts taking things for granted instead of working his butt off.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


Uh... from a quick stat-check, it seems like we aren't running the ball a whole lot. Or very well. Better defense and more emphasis on the passing game?

Since we can't hit right now, it's tough to work on the running game.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
Mars wrote:


Uh... from a quick stat-check, it seems like we aren't running the ball a whole lot. Or very well. Better defense and more emphasis on the passing game?


I'd say it's because it takes a lot more work to get the passing game humming with routes and timing and whatnot.



I remember last year before the season started it seemed like are our running game was pretty inept. Watching the fall scrimmage was particularly painful as I don't think we had a running play go for more than 2 or 3 yards the whole scrimmage, but it turned out alright.
F
fifthqb
Cougarbib2 wrote:

We fired all the coaches. Now you don't trust the new regime to get it right. I doubt anyone will unseat Heaps unless Heaps starts taking things for granted instead of working his butt off.


Did you even read what we said? No one said anything about not trusting the coaches, or anything about Heaps being unseated... We were clearly talking about back up...



Anyways... Yesterday days stats were pretty underwhelming in yardage but you gotta be happy to hear that Heaps is still making 75% of his passes, for around 56 yards or so if I remember right. Lark was only 2-5 for 51.. but at least one of those 2 completions was a 50 yarder. I think the focus should be on passing right now, as well.
S
scott715
Remember they are not tackling and are blowing the whistle early so the yards will be reduced.
J
jonnylingo
I am going to wait before declaring the coaching changes a homerun. so far the enthusiasm and optimism is obviously great, but it way to early to see how it will translate come gameday.



But seeing the attitude now as opposed to last year is pretty incredible.
C
Cougarbib
fifthqb wrote:

We fired all the coaches. Now you don't trust the new regime to get it right. I doubt anyone will unseat Heaps unless Heaps starts taking things for granted instead of working his butt off.


Did you even read what we said? No one said anything about not trusting the coaches, or anything about Heaps being unseated... We were clearly talking about back up...



Anyways... Yesterday days stats were pretty underwhelming in yardage but you gotta be happy to hear that Heaps is still making 75% of his passes, for around 56 yards or so if I remember right. Lark was only 2-5 for 51.. but at least one of those 2 completions was a 50 yarder. I think the focus should be on passing right now, as well.

The OP commented about Bronco saying Nelson or Lark would have to take the job awY in Spring or Summer. You are correct, you were talking about the battle for #2. My same comment applies. Surely by now, without the scapegoat Anae to make him give Nelson reps, Doman will manage things to your satisfaction. It will be important to have a back-up or two ready to go in case stuff happens - only because stuff happens.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
I am going to wait before declaring the coaching changes a homerun.

Not me. ;)
B
Brayden Green
And as to the dm/fifth debate... I was on here on the front lines last year with Mars and Lingo (Byutx jumped in also) and a few others as the "biggest coaching gaffe" debacle splitting reps etc etc etc. but I have now made my peace with it.



If an extremely mismanaged and mediocre season is what it took to get BOTH Jamie Hill and Robert Anae gone, then I'll take it. And we replace them with Ben Cahoon, and Bronco gets more involved with the team, and goes back to coach our defense again (which he does PHENOMENALLY, our best defenses to date have been under him), then I will take one of those seasons. Jake doesn't seem to be adversely affected for it all. So I have made my peace with it. But part of outliving your mistakes means you get to make sure they don't happen again. I hope to see freshman get better representation in the future (especially on the D-side, now that Jamie "Favoritism" Hill is gone), and may the best man at each position win!
B
Brayden Green
you still think Anae was a "scapegoat" Bib2?



Please...



Nationalism is a killer!
C
Cougs_Rule
I probably shouldnt have started with the anti-nelson comments. its less about nelson and more about getting Bib2 excited, which seems to be partially accomplished--for fun, of course. In fact, I think i got a 2-fer: a push back about nelson and anae (see "scapegoat"). Admittedly, or should I say, obviously, my m.o. contains a healthy amount of starting a dog-pile and then slipping out the back-side.

Po, Po Nelson and Anae.

I'm mostly at peace about it 5 months after the debacle ended and the ship started getting righted by Bronco (who is not absent of fault in naming Nelson the starter, "bc we dont start freshmen"--oh and bc heaps was sipping margaritas and skipping practices, right Bib? ;-) ); And bc the prospects look so bright this year!

BUt I am not at peace regarding BDavies. Thats gonna take alot longer. So expect to see some random digs. If for nothing else to entertain myself. And see if I cant get dogpiled myself for therapeutic value or until Hawk gives me das boot. ok, enough of my cougarcorner memoirs--been a long week of death by power point in corporate mtgs.
S
SpiffCoug
Let it go man. Let it go.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.