Archived Topic

Wofford has a plan for Fredette

by MesaCougFan · 3/14/2011

Advertisement
S
Sammich
Wofford held Goldilocks or whatever his name is to 18 and 25 points this season, barely under and over his average. I have this feeling they're going to be changing their defensive strategy on Jimmer after halftime.
N
NCPUMA
They're going to guard Jimmer 1 on 1? Please let this be true.
C
Cougs_Rule
My hope will continue to be that more than Jimmer others will be able to get their shots. Why I hope in noah, I have no idea, but he should be the tallest guy and the court and with a high release be able to get his shot off again from closer to the rim.

I also hope and think Kyle needs to get to the rim more and dump it out if he has to. His height against their 3 will make him feel like he's got an edge more than against the likes of sdsu. And hopefully charles will be able to get to the rim also so he can develop some confidence in his shot.

Again, to go as deep as we can, jimmer can't just shoot his all in the first game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
radius19
Straight up defend Jimmer with no double? Really? I give them 15 minutes before that is changed. I don't care how good that defender is, Jimmer is used to the other teams best defender (is it crazy of me to think that Kawhi and Billy Boy are better defenders than their shut down defender?) and the only thing that I have seen that has given him trouble is superior length + athleticism and even that wasn't good enough to keep him below 25.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I hope they guard him straight up. We'll be looking at an NCAA tourney record.
U
urroner
radius19 wrote:
Straight up defend Jimmer with no double? Really? I give them 15 minutes before that is changed. I don't care how good that defender is, Jimmer is used to the other teams best defender (is it crazy of me to think that Kawhi and Billy Boy are better defenders than their shut down defender?) and the only thing that I have seen that has given him trouble is superior length + athleticism and even that wasn't good enough to keep him below 25.




You really are going to give them 15 minutes. By then, the score will be Wofford 10 Jimmer 45 and the rest of the BYU players will be camping down under the Wofford basket to get the rebound and feed the big dog.



I don't think so radius19. Thanks for playing the game. :P :P
C
CougarPeasant
Wofford will see a player or two who might be able to defend against Jimmer, but unfortunately, they both play for BYU. Even then, I doubt they could limit him to less than 25 points.



Jackson Emery is the MWC DPOY and Abouo is a good defender in his own right. What makes Wofford think they have better defenders than either of these two? And they will be the two best defenders on the court when BYU and Wofford play.
B
bcsbound
1 vs. 1? Jimmer goes on a tear, scores 65 points, beats Wofford....134-52.
B
bcsbound
1 vs. 1? Jimmer goes on a tear, scores 65 points, beats Wofford....134-52.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
CougarPeasant wrote:
Wofford will see a player or two who might be able to defend against Jimmer, but unfortunately, they both play for BYU. Even then, I doubt they could limit him to less than 25 points.



Jackson Emery is the MWC DPOY and Abouo is a good defender in his own right. What makes Wofford think they have better defenders than either of these two? And they will be the two best defenders on the court when BYU and Wofford play.

Rose said nobody on our team can defend Jimmer in practice, and the only way they can keep him from scoring is by fouling him. And I promise that if Jackson can't do it, none of their players can.
R
radius19
urroner wrote:
Straight up defend Jimmer with no double? Really? I give them 15 minutes before that is changed. I don't care how good that defender is, Jimmer is used to the other teams best defender (is it crazy of me to think that Kawhi and Billy Boy are better defenders than their shut down defender?) and the only thing that I have seen that has given him trouble is superior length + athleticism and even that wasn't good enough to keep him below 25.




You really are going to give them 15 minutes. By then, the score will be Wofford 10 Jimmer 45 and the rest of the BYU players will be camping down under the Wofford basket to get the rebound and feed the big dog.



I don't think so radius19. Thanks for playing the game. :P :P


clearly I was not referring to 15 minutes of actual game time but 15 minutes of real time. I'm assuming they try their 'lock down defender' who shut down goldilocks (wouldn't that make him papa bear?) and jimmer will eat him up in 3 minutes of game time (which will equal 10 - 11 minutes of actual time as he shoots 2-4 free throws in that span). So, in response to foul trouble and refusing to double team him, they will put someone else on him for the next 2-3 minutes of game time (which will equal the remaining 4-5 minutes in my calculation). This 2-3 minutes will be faster than the previous 2-3 minutes because 1) they won't be able to responsibly use their remaining 2 timeouts to stop jimmer's run and b) there will be less fouls called on jimmer defenders as he won't be able to stay within arms reach of the jimmer on shots or off the ball cuts to foul him.



In all seriousness, when they do start to double team jimmer, noah/abuou/kc/emery need to get going to put this game out of reach quickly!! They will need to be locked and loaded come St Johns or Zags if they want to win that game. Either team will be tough.
U
urroner
radius19 wrote:
radius19 wrote:
Straight up defend Jimmer with no double? Really? I give them 15 minutes before that is changed. I don't care how good that defender is, Jimmer is used to the other teams best defender (is it crazy of me to think that Kawhi and Billy Boy are better defenders than their shut down defender?) and the only thing that I have seen that has given him trouble is superior length + athleticism and even that wasn't good enough to keep him below 25.




You really are going to give them 15 minutes. By then, the score will be Wofford 10 Jimmer 45 and the rest of the BYU players will be camping down under the Wofford basket to get the rebound and feed the big dog.



I don't think so radius19. Thanks for playing the game. :P :P


clearly I was not referring to 15 minutes of actual game time but 15 minutes of real time. I'm assuming they try their 'lock down defender' who shut down goldilocks (wouldn't that make him papa bear?) and jimmer will eat him up in 3 minutes of game time (which will equal 10 - 11 minutes of actual time as he shoots 2-4 free throws in that span). So, in response to foul trouble and refusing to double team him, they will put someone else on him for the next 2-3 minutes of game time (which will equal the remaining 4-5 minutes in my calculation). This 2-3 minutes will be faster than the previous 2-3 minutes because 1) they won't be able to responsibly use their remaining 2 timeouts to stop jimmer's run and b) there will be less fouls called on jimmer defenders as he won't be able to stay within arms reach of the jimmer on shots or off the ball cuts to foul him.



In all seriousness, when they do start to double team jimmer, noah/abuou/kc/emery need to get going to put this game out of reach quickly!! They will need to be locked and loaded come St Johns or Zags if they want to win that game. Either team will be tough.


You are right here radius, BYU needs to put the game away quickly and not let Wofford hang around. We need to b-slap them back into the kitchen again, but to do it in a loving and kind attitude.
V
vancouvercougar
By Thursday Fredette will have plan for Wofford--35 + points and 9 assists.
D
Ddawg
NCPUMA wrote:
They're going to guard Jimmer 1 on 1? Please let this be true.


So true!!! That would be a gift!! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Sweeeeeeet!!!!! 8)
Advertisement
G
Guest
If I were Wofford's head coach, I would say we plan on playing Jimmer straight up with no double teams. Then I would come out and double and triple team him right from the get go. Make BYU adjust to what they're not expecting rather than the other way around.
S
Schmoe
hawkwing wrote:
If I were Wofford's head coach, I would say we plan on playing Jimmer straight up with no double teams. Then I would come out and double and triple team him right from the get go. Make BYU adjust to what they're not expecting rather than the other way around.


It's nothing different from what we've been seeing all year, I don't think it will take much adjustment on our end.
B
BroncoBot
Well, time for a new plan. Jimmer quietly tore Wofford up.



Credit Wofford for limiting the damage though. Jimmer definitely had to work for it tonight.
C
CougarClaw
.... it didn't work.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.