Archived Topic

GOOD BYE, and GO TO HELL MWC.

by BYUROCKS · 3/13/2011

Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
I am happy I WILL NEVER have to watch another MWC game again! damn refs, I am soooo sick of them trying to adjust to Jimmer, IF HE IS FOULED 30 times CALL IT, don't let them foul, to make it even!
W
wahdee
Not so much a "goodbye" as a never have to sit and watch the pathetic officiating.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUROCKS
wahdee wrote:
Not so much a "goodbye" as a never have to sit and watch the pathetic officiating.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




That was HORRIBLE, I thought for a minute, that we were in the BIG EAST.
S
stuckinbig10country
You think the refs will be better in the WCC? This game was lost on TO's and missed shots, especially layups.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
wahdee
Or Noah going 0-5 from 3 and Collingsworth rushing shots early.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
stuckinbig10country wrote:
You think the refs will be better in the WCC? This game was lost on TO's and missed shots, especially layups.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Did you watch that game ???? most of the TO, and missed layups WERE FOULS, not called, had they called everything, Jimmer would have shot 30 FT
W
wahdee
We need to leave and not look back. SDSU may have won the game but the Y will still be classy no matter what happens. Sports is not everything, honor family and faith is where true happiness is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Sammich
stuckinbig10country wrote:
You think the refs will be better in the WCC? This game was lost on TO's and missed shots, especially layups.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I hate this type of response. Yes, of course BYU needs to outplay the other team and win regardless of what the refs are doing, and they could have done more tonight, but in the end that doesn't change the awfulness of the officiating and there's nothing wrong with being glad to get away from that. Besides, any single game can have inconsistencies in the officiating, but the topic wasn't about this game, but the inconsistencies of MWC refs over our multi-year history with them.
B
BOID
Agreed, BYUROCKS and Sammich. This MWC displays nothing but hate for BYU, even before we declared independence. I take note that there was some pathetic make-up attempt by these contemptible officials. They condescended to call a few shooting fouls for Jimmer, once the game was a run-away (18 to 20 point spread) for Any-Team-Not-BYU.



I was saying "to Hell with this conference," and calling for independence back in 2009 after the way the MWC called BYU's TCU football game. They were clearly protecting TCU and calling it dishonestly (TCU still undefeated/BYU carrying one loss from FSU). And now we hear them expecting some empathy for their desire to "control the game"-----"maintain competitive balance," etc.



Sure, BYU already knows that they must outplay the officials, and they seemed unprepared mentally, emotionally, for this game after last night's big one. BUT, if the game had been called with an equal threshold for foul calls for all players, and with all fouls seen being called, the Cougars could have been only 5 to 7 points behind instead of 20, before waking up in the last seven minutes, and then been in better position for for the eight point run that we did have, and been in the game in the final two minutes.



There should be no excuse made for officials based on whether one team was emotionally down, or off on their shooting. Biased call selection by officials is still cheating.



Emancipation is sweet, and they hate us even more because we escaped. HA!
D
dank80
I'm beginning to wonder if I watched the same game as some of you? Are you saying BYU lost because of the officiating? I get the feeling you watch the game to moan and groan about refs, MWC hates us, etc. than you do to actually enjoy a good game between two top ten teams.



Basketball can be extremely difficult to officiate. Calls get missed. Refs are human. It didn't even cross my mind that we were getting screwed on any calls.
Advertisement
B
BOID
dank80 wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if I watched the same game as some of you? Are you saying BYU lost because of the officiating? I get the feeling you watch the game to moan and groan about refs, MWC hates us, etc. than you do to actually enjoy a good game between two top ten teams.



Basketball can be extremely difficult to officiate. Calls get missed. Refs are human. It didn't even cross my mind that we were getting screwed on any calls.


This canned, cliche' reply looks like an attempt at good sportsmanship, but is not worthy of (further) response.
C
CougarClaw
BOID wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if I watched the same game as some of you? Are you saying BYU lost because of the officiating? I get the feeling you watch the game to moan and groan about refs, MWC hates us, etc. than you do to actually enjoy a good game between two top ten teams.



Basketball can be extremely difficult to officiate. Calls get missed. Refs are human. It didn't even cross my mind that we were getting screwed on any calls.


This canned, cliche' reply looks like an attempt at good sportsmanship, but is not worthy of (further) response.


i disagree. Poor officiating means little when you're already down 20.



And calls do get missed. sorry. They do.
S
snoscythe
I actually thought this was one of the better reffed games in the last couple of months. We just got out-hustled, out-physicalled, and hit the panic button early on.
B
BOID
Look here, guys.... I know we did not play well enough to win this one. But that was not the point of this thread. The fact remains that this game was a continuation of the same kind of officiating by the MWC, that has gone on for years, and has intensified against us in the latter half of this BB season. We are sick and tired of it, and are therefore celebrating our departure from this conference.



Two facts here that are neither mutually neutralizing, or mutally exclusive:



1- BYU did not play to their potential today



2- These officials and this conference officially suck



Number one does not nullify number two, and is not what this thread was about.
S
Sammich
BOID wrote:
Look here, guys.... I know we did not play well enough to win this one. But that was not the point of this thread. The fact remains that this game was a continuation of the same kind of officiating by the MWC, that has gone on for years, and has intensified against us in the latter half of this BB season. We are sick and tired of it, and are therefore celebrating our departure from this conference.



Two facts here that are neither mutually neutralizing, or mutally exclusive:



1- BYU did not play to their potential today



2- These officials and this conference officially suck



Number one does not nullify number two, and is not what this thread was about.

Exactly. Nobody, other than the "good sportsman" detractors, suggested that BYU lost because of the refs. Could the refs have been a factor? Certainly, but BYU lost because of a lot of other things also.



Let us rejoice that we're leaving these crappy refs behind, and stop trying to turn it into an argument about this game.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
BYU lost because BYU got outplayed. Simple as that. SDSU was just better tonight. More athletic, killed us with points in the paint--which we virtually struggled to get. We shot crap from the perimeter and Jimmer missed a lot of shots, and came up short on most. We were a tired team and it showed in the hustle areas. hard to go 3 games in 3 nights, but especially when you are going 5-6 deep at best. Our lack of depth got exposed tonight. Davies and Collinsworth were missed. And Jimmer looked totally tired, especially late. SDSU did not.
S
Sammich
Lawboy wrote:
BYU lost because BYU got outplayed. Simple as that. SDSU was just better tonight. More athletic, killed us with points in the paint--which we virtually struggled to get. We shot crap from the perimeter and Jimmer missed a lot of shots, and came up short on most. We were a tired team and it showed in the hustle areas. hard to go 3 games in 3 nights, but especially when you are going 5-6 deep at best. Our lack of depth got exposed tonight. Davies and Collinsworth were missed. And Jimmer looked totally tired, especially late. SDSU did not.

Maybe we should rename this thread to "Did the refs steal the SDSU game from us?" Because that seems to be all that anyone wants to talk about. . .



I know it's possible the WCC refs will be just as bad or worse in years to come, but it would require record-breaking performance (record currently held by the MWC in multiple games) to outdo some of the garbage we've seen called.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
I actually thought this was one of the better reffed games in the last couple of months. We just got out-hustled, out-physicalled, and hit the panic button early on.

winner, winner, chicken pot pie dinner.
B
BroncoBot
Sammich wrote:
BYU lost because BYU got outplayed. Simple as that. SDSU was just better tonight. More athletic, killed us with points in the paint--which we virtually struggled to get. We shot crap from the perimeter and Jimmer missed a lot of shots, and came up short on most. We were a tired team and it showed in the hustle areas. hard to go 3 games in 3 nights, but especially when you are going 5-6 deep at best. Our lack of depth got exposed tonight. Davies and Collinsworth were missed. And Jimmer looked totally tired, especially late. SDSU did not.

Maybe we should rename this thread to "Did the refs steal the SDSU game from us?" Because that seems to be all that anyone wants to talk about. . .



I know it's possible the WCC refs will be just as bad or worse in years to come, but it would require record-breaking performance (record currently held by the MWC in multiple games) to outdo some of the garbage we've seen called.

The funny thing is Sammich, fans of other schools are probably saying the same thing. I know SDSU fans were saying the refs sucked after they lost to BYU @SDSU. Which might just mean the games are being called fairly, it's just a matter of who you're cheering for.
S
Sammich
declocoug wrote:
The funny thing is Sammich, fans of other schools are probably saying the same thing. I know SDSU fans were saying the refs sucked after they lost to BYU @SDSU. Which might just mean the games are being called fairly, it's just a matter of who you're cheering for.

"Fairly" and "crappily" can coexist. When my kids are fighting as I'm trying to watch the game and I dole out random unrelated punishments so I can get back to the game instead of sorting out the real problem, I'm certain that all kids involved are equally unhappy with how I handled the situation. Just because an act is evenly distributed in its inconsistency, bad timing, and inappropriate-ness does not make it good and I'm glad to be getting away from the MWC for that reason alone.



That said, I've seen statistics over the years that suggest BYU does not get the same home cooking that other teams in the conference do, nor do they get the "star treatment" that other teams with high-performance players get. So complain as they will, I still believe the other teams in the conference have less to complain about than BYU.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.