Archived Topic

Tressel of OSU Caught in Coverup!

by BoiseBYU · 3/9/2011

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Turns out Tressel knew about his players' illegal actions and kept it to himself. So, happily, all his players played the whole year and went 12 - 1. OSU fined him $250k, which is chump change, and suspends him for two games against Lady of our Lourdes and some other weak sauce. I guess he's glad he doesn't work at BYU. If OSU had ethics they'de forfeit all their games



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
May I just congratulate OSU in handling this matter with an open hand. I'm sure there are *many* on this site that can look to OSU as a wonderful example on how to handle transgressions.
S
snoscythe
What's funniest about the whole ordeal is the fact that the NCAA, in postponing the suspension of the players cited the cooperation of the players and coaches and the fact that they self-reported as soon as they knew they had a violation. Whoops.



I do like that the fine imposed is roughly the same as his bonus for winning the Sugar Bowl.
S
Schmoe
Looks like Tressel is the new Pete Carroll.
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
What's funniest about the whole ordeal is the fact that the NCAA, in postponing the suspension of the players cited the cooperation of the players and coaches and the fact that they self-reported as soon as they knew they had a violation. Whoops.



I do like that the fine imposed is roughly the same as his bonus for winning the Sugar Bowl.

So since Tressel covered things up and got his team to the Sugar Bowl, he can use the Sugar Bowl bonus to pay the fine, meaning he really is not out anything....nice I think I would have been more accepting of the outcome if OSU had at least banned Tressel from wearing those awful sweater vests with ties...
Advertisement
Y
Yndian
The best part? His quote, "I don't think any less of myself."



Very revealing... Obviously OSU and the NCAA don't either.
R
radius19
BYU looks cleaner and cleaner with each passing day. It looks like we are becoming an increasingly "peculiar people."
J
JamieVallen
Oh my, some players took stuff that was theirs and tried to sell them while they were still in college! Big whoop. A lot of players on different teams around the country do worst things all the time. This is an NCAA violation,(how many of you bag on the NCAA all the time?) they didn't break the law. It wasn't like they did drugs or robbed or murdered somebody and as we all know that won't necessarily get you kicked off the team these days. I understand it is against the rules but to make this big of a deal out of this is crap and it's just out of hate and jealousy for a team that is annually successful. Forfeit all their games over something this small?!? HAHAHA!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Herd went on and on about this this morning, and basically compared Tressel to Pearl, except Pearl turned himself in after his initial cover-up. And Pearl got 8 games and recruiting bans. tOSU gave Tressell 2 games. The NCAA will probably give more. Apparently the Big Fat Greedy Sisters of the Rich need to be humbled and taught about honesty and ethics. Obviously, tOSU just showed they will cheat to win. Their institutional integrity just took a hit. Rightly so.
B
BoiseBYU
I think this is all in anticipation of tOSU applying to the SEC for membership
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
This isn't about players selling stuff. This is about telling the truth. Tressel wasn't. As for not doing drugs, we don't know that. We do know the amount of tattoos they got wasn't worth as much as the stuff they traded. And oh, gee, the tatoo parlor was being investigated by the feds for drugs. Hmmm... You do the math.



Tressel is dirty. OSU is dirty. The players are dirty. OSU should be hit hard for covering this us.
J
JamieVallen
Do we really even know how much Tressell really knew? And as for honesty last I checked there was still an honor code when Jimmy Mac went to school at BYU. There's countless stories of countless players doing stuff whether unlawful on morally unclean where no actions were ever taken and you can't tell me the coaches had no idea what was going on? Lavell knew what was going on he just turned the other cheek and figured if somebody was going to do something about it it surely wasn't going to be him. Last I checked that's dishonest. But do we punish coaches for ticky tacky things like that? No, because it doesn't matter and it's the team that we all root for. It's easy to find flaws in something that you hate. And most of you tend to hate OSU. if this was Eastern Tennessee State nobody would be talking about it. Stuff like this isn't going away. And I'd say let's go after the people who actually commit crimes and instead of just giving these people 4th and 5th chances the NCAA should kick these kids out of school. Oh wait I guess they don't want to be considered racist or what have you...



As for the drug issue I have been to bars and parties tattoo parlors and everywhere else where heavy drugs and alcohol were being used even by some of my good friends so does that mean I participated? No, but I guess to some people I'd be guilty just by association.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
This is not 1980 anymore. BYU "covering up" a McMahon HC violation is no longer going on.



And yes we do know what Tressel knew. There are emails showing he knew about the tatoo parlor, its drug investigation, its trading tatoos for paraphenalia, etc.



And how many of those bars and parties and tatoo parlors that you've been to are being investigated by the feds?
B
BoiseBYU
jmvcougar wrote:
Do we really even know how much Tressell really knew? And as for honesty last I checked there was still an honor code when Jimmy Mac went to school at BYU. There's countless stories of countless players doing stuff whether unlawful on morally unclean where no actions were ever taken and you can't tell me the coaches had no idea what was going on? Lavell knew what was going on he just turned the other cheek and figured if somebody was going to do something about it it surely wasn't going to be him. Last I checked that's dishonest. But do we punish coaches for ticky tacky things like that? No, because it doesn't matter and it's the team that we all root for. It's easy to find flaws in something that you hate. And most of you tend to hate OSU. if this was Eastern Tennessee State nobody would be talking about it. Stuff like this isn't going away. And I'd say let's go after the people who actually commit crimes and instead of just giving these people 4th and 5th chances the NCAA should kick these kids out of school. Oh wait I guess they don't want to be considered racist or what have you...



As for the drug issue I have been to bars and parties tattoo parlors and everywhere else where heavy drugs and alcohol were being used even by some of my good friends so does that mean I participated? No, but I guess to some people I'd be guilty just by association.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

tOSU knows that Tressel knew of major NCAA violations and did not report. tOSU now knows that the statement they made in December that as soon as they learned of the violations, they reported them is now a lie. I don't follow Easern TN State, but if I heard that the coach covered up knowing NCAA violations he ought to be booted.
C
CougarPeasant
jmvcougar wrote:
Oh my, some players took stuff that was theirs and tried to sell them while they were still in college! Big whoop. A lot of players on different teams around the country do worst things all the time. This is an NCAA violation,(how many of you bag on the NCAA all the time?) they didn't break the law. It wasn't like they did drugs or robbed or murdered somebody and as we all know that won't necessarily get you kicked off the team these days. I understand it is against the rules but to make this big of a deal out of this is crap and it's just out of hate and jealousy for a team that is annually successful. Forfeit all their games over something this small?!? HAHAHA!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


And what the players at USC did wasn't illegal either, but was a violation of NCAA rules. Selling memorabilia is the same as taking money for play. A coach covered up some info at both USC and OSU. USC lost 10 scholarships a year for 3 years and was banned from 2 bowl seasons. Hardly fair compared to OSU's self imposed 2 game suspension and fine.



I hope OSU gets hammered for this. Wonder how Pres. Gee will explain that to the world.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Let's also not forget that this isn't Tressel's first instance of doing what he could to "protect" a player from possible improprieties.
L
Lawboy
Like I said, The Herd was ripping Tressel for taking the protect the player approach. He said the University must be protected first, as they sign his checks. Protecting the player is short-sighted, put winning now over long term integrity, and looks really bad when you get caught. Tressel has now done it 2x--at least--and it is dumb. And now tOSU looks bad because of how he chose to act--or not act. From where I am siting, tOSU let him off easily. I do not think the guy should lose his job, but a longer suspension, a big fine, and some recruiting restrictions for Tressel (on campus only) for a while should happen. We all complain that the people who cheat often walk free, and the school and players left behind pay, but here, it is the HC, so make him pay--as he should.
R
radius19
jmvcougar wrote:
Do we really even know how much Tressell really knew? And as for honesty last I checked there was still an honor code when Jimmy Mac went to school at BYU. There's countless stories of countless players doing stuff whether unlawful on morally unclean where no actions were ever taken and you can't tell me the coaches had no idea what was going on? Lavell knew what was going on he just turned the other cheek and figured if somebody was going to do something about it it surely wasn't going to be him. Last I checked that's dishonest. But do we punish coaches for ticky tacky things like that? No, because it doesn't matter and it's the team that we all root for. It's easy to find flaws in something that you hate. And most of you tend to hate OSU. if this was Eastern Tennessee State nobody would be talking about it. Stuff like this isn't going away. And I'd say let's go after the people who actually commit crimes and instead of just giving these people 4th and 5th chances the NCAA should kick these kids out of school. Oh wait I guess they don't want to be considered racist or what have you...



As for the drug issue I have been to bars and parties tattoo parlors and everywhere else where heavy drugs and alcohol were being used even by some of my good friends so does that mean I participated? No, but I guess to some people I'd be guilty just by association.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


As per ESPN.com,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=6195223
Ohio State officials say Tressel broke NCAA rules because he didn't tell athletics director Gene Smith or the school's compliance office about e-mails he received from an attorney in April 2010, which indicated Buckeyes players were receiving improper benefits.



Tressel never even mentioned the e-mails nine months later, when in December the NCAA suspended five Ohio State players, including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling memorabilia and awards from the tattoo parlor owner.


That's what he knew, as per OSU (and can people stop calling it "The Ohio State University"? It's so stupid and sounds little brother-ish to me). He knew and did nothing, that's the problem. Not that what the players did was some egregious error but that it was wrong, according to the NCAA, and should have been revealed when the coach was informed. He knew, let his players play despite being ineligible to play if the NCAA knew, and therefore he should be punished for it. It's ridiculous to give him the slap on the wrist treatment he is being given.



As far as 'hating' OSU, I don't hate them at all. Why would I take the time to hate somebody who plays in a protected conference that is not, in reality,that much bettern than the MWC and who doesn't play ANYBODY outside of their conference? At least the ACC and Big East teams venture outside of their state (see OSU playing Troy, Ohio University and Little Sisters of the Poor on a yearly basis) to play non conference or, heaven forbid, cross the Mississippi. I'll save my 'hatred' for a rival or someone who would play BYU if given the chance.



As for BYU in the past letting stuff slide. My dad was a Sergeant on campus in the 70's-80's and he was asked, on many occasions, to go and pick up a certain individual from a bar or club and bring him home. When he got back the first time, he was told to not write up any report about it and just let it go. He struggled for several years with this and finally had to retire as he couldn't justify it in his mind any longer. So, yes, it did happen. However, in the recent past (90's - present) as witnessed by BD and HU situations as well as the supposed "rape" junk in 2004(?), BYU has let the honor code govern, regardless of who it is going to hurt. Can't say the same thing about OSU following much looser and easier to live by NCAA rules. Do you see BM doing the same thing, knowing about an NCAA rules violation (not just things he had heard possibly might have happened like many of the things that you mentioned Lavell let slide)and NOT doing anything about it? I have a hard time seeing that ever being the case.
S
stuckinbig10country
While I don't necessarily agree with this type of thing being an NCAA violation, because it is their property that they were selling (I know there are chances for abuses by selling for way more than market value, etc).



However, having said this, this is a violation that everyone knows about. A kid from Georgia was suspended four games for the same thing just this year. And it wasn't an email that Tressel didn't read, because it is shown that he had multiple correspondences with the other party.
J
JamieVallen
I know this isnt the 1980s but similar stuff still goes on in BYU athletics. Has it gotten better? Probably but that doesn't change that it still happens not too long ago my mother in law was working at a hospital in Provo in the records department and she said over the years that many a time some players from byu that weren't married would be asking for birth records. (and no they weren't their own) anyway radius some of the stuff your saying I do agree with but I still feel that this is a hate for one school more than anything, maybe not for you but for some and I guess that's all I have to say and won't say anymore about it. Peace



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.