Archived Topic

BDavies reinstatement date to the team--1 year??!!

by Cougs_Rule · 3/8/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Anyone know when Brandon will be able to play again?

Hans Olson is suggesting that TH said it would be 12 months.

I will withhold reaction until those more informed than myself provide some "quotable" answers.
Y
YBrit
Wow that would suck. In his case when BYU was expected to be a #1 seed/final four team I think missing out on that big stage is enough torture, let him back asap.
E
EM_Puma
Same amount of time that Unga was given for supposedly the same issue, so why would you expect any different for Davies just because we need him next season?
B
beauso79
Well that sucks. Hopefully he sticks around and we can give him a red-shirt. Hopefully Harward is ready to go next year cause we'll need him



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I dont know what to expect from this UNiversity, Except "open hands" and then hugs.

The issue is this. If BD has to sit out 12 months from MArch 1. why would he stay at byu? Transfer and play somewhere else. I know this usually doesnt work with most kids, but this "exact"-ness, again, if true, seems over the top. It becomes more about our worshipping practices (insert "science") and not principles and people. Where does repentance begin and end and where does rigid, dogmatic, thinking take over now that this whole thing has created an "Exposure" panacea for BYU.

Do the terms of church discipline then dictate university policy? Has BD been excommunicated and have to wait out 1 whole year prior to re-baptism? LAst time I checked, "Formal Probation" has leeway based on the sincerity of sinner, the nature of the offense, and the spiritual maturity/priesthood status of the offender. Is he even an Elder?

BUt again, probably not helpful to speculate without facts--many of which are not our business and of a confidential nature--oh wait, the whole world knows about BD's sins, so what the heck is confidential anymore?

Yep, sorry CC posters, I'm still worked up about this. I will try not to sow too many seeds of dissention or "HC office apostacy" posts.
Advertisement
U
urroner
dmcougar wrote:
Anyone know when Brandon will be able to play again?

Hans Olson is suggesting that TH said it would be 12 months.

I will withhold reaction until those more informed than myself provide some "quotable" answers.


Before we start wringing our hands and pulling our hair out from stress, let's wait until something happens. I've read somewhere, I think, that Rose wants him back next year, but that's coming from my 7 bit memory storage.
S
SpiffCoug
Maybe he gets a 2 semester suspension (summer and fall) and is then eligible like Carlino in mid-Dec?
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
Maybe he gets a 2 semester suspension (summer and fall) and is then eligible like Carlino in mid-Dec?


Our team would have a rough time until December then



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CannonCougar85
EM_Puma wrote:
Same amount of time that Unga was given for supposedly the same issue, so why would you expect any different for Davies just because we need him next season?


I thought Unga's punishment was 2 semesters? At the time 2 semesters would have cost Unga the football season but in Davies case he would be available for conference play.



I'm still thinking Davies will be back for the whole season but I have no proof of that. I'm just guessing.
T
ThrowbackBlue
Having heard Tom's comments on the matter, I take exception with Hans' interpretation of what was said.



Tom said he expects Brandon to be with the team next year. He did not say "....in exactly a year from now." Next year could mean next season, the start of 2012, next march..... I expect Brandon Davies to be playing basketball for BYU next season.



This is just one more example why many people in athletics do not like giving Hans information.
Advertisement
B
bluesince82
SpiffCoug wrote:
Maybe he gets a 2 semester suspension (summer and fall) and is then eligible like Carlino in mid-Dec?


If it is two semesters then there is a possibility he is back for Fall semester. BYU has 2 semesters between Winter and Fall (Spring and Summer semesters).
S
snoscythe
bluesince82 wrote:
Maybe he gets a 2 semester suspension (summer and fall) and is then eligible like Carlino in mid-Dec?


If it is two semesters then there is a possibility he is back for Fall semester. BYU has 2 semesters between Winter and Fall (Spring and Summer semesters).




Spring and Summer are quarters, and combine for one semester.



On another note, I think we need to start a petition to get Hans to donate his brain to the NFL studies. Sounds like one they'd want.
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Maybe he gets a 2 semester suspension (summer and fall) and is then eligible like Carlino in mid-Dec?


If it is two semesters then there is a possibility he is back for Fall semester. BYU has 2 semesters between Winter and Fall (Spring and Summer semesters).




Spring and Summer are quarters, and combine for one semester.



On another note, I think we need to start a petition to get Hans to donate his brain to the NFL studies. Sounds like one they'd want.

Considering Hans Olsen only played 2 games in the NFL, I'm not sure it's worth studying.
B
byucougar1
You sayin he didn't use his head???
S
SpiffCoug
I'm saying he hardly had an NFL career. Those two games weren't starts, so he played no more than a handful of plays in each game. The NFL would be much better off studying players who had careers slightly longer than two games.
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm saying he hardly had an NFL career. Those two games weren't starts, so he played no more than a handful of plays in each game. The NFL would be much better off studying players who had careers slightly longer than two games.


I think you missed the joke there Spiff. :whistle:
C
craigoscarson
I actually think with the potential issues of pregnancy here.. (I don't know that for sure)

1 year sounds about right considering it looks like they're going to let him finish classes this semester.



It's a redshirt for all practical purposes and unless the NCAA grants him a waiver for transferring (which is possible considering the grounds of the suspension) he'll be back with us eventually.



We're better with him, but in the end, 2 fulls years is better than 1 1/2 and if he can get his feet back under him during the suspension year then more power to him. He's just a baby for a sophomore so a year isn't going to hurt him at all.
M
Mars


I would guess that BD is allowed back on the team January 2012.





Unrelated question: Is it true that a girl who gets pregnant at BYU can't come back until 12 months after she gives birth? That's what I heard, but I have no good source on it. If true, wouldn't that make HC punishments for women worse than for men? Weird question, I know, sorry, just curious.
B
beauso79
Mars wrote:

I would guess that BD is allowed back on the team January 2012.






So does BYU red-shirt Davies next year then pull it in January '12 if he's needed??
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
I would guess that BD is allowed back on the team January 2012.
So does BYU red-shirt Davies next year then pull it in January '12 if he's needed??

Again, just guessing, but I doubt he'll redshirt or sit out a season. Remember, Carlino from UCLA will be going through a similar situation with his transfer.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.