Archived Topic

WCC Championship at T&M

by EM_Puma · 3/8/2011

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/51382603-88/2012-wcc-byu-seeds.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Next season's WCC championship is slated for the Orleans, but in the SLTrib article it states, "The WCC tournament will be played at the Orleans Arena again next year but a decision will be made by this summer as to whether the WCC ultimately needs a larger venue with BYU joining."



So if we didn't have UNLV in our conference, would we be willing to play the tournament at the Thomas & Mack? I think I would be okay with that, if it came down to the issue that the Orleans wasn't big enough.
S
SpiffCoug
Yes. The issue isn't the T&M. It's the fact that it's on UNLV's home court. I'd be okay with the MWC tourney in LV if it was at the Orleans.
B
bigbluepuma
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...
E
EM_Puma
bigbluepuma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?
B
billbillbillbill
There is the issue of a possible home game for UNLV at the end of the season. It would have to be worked out with the MWC which probably wouldn't bode well due to the spite.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
EM_Puma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?


That can be reasonably assumed. :angry:
U
urroner
bigbluepuma wrote:
bigbluepuma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?


That can be reasonably assumed. :angry:


I did a search on his name on Google News and found nothing about him being there.
B
bigbluepuma
urroner wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?


That can be reasonably assumed. :angry:


I did a search on his name on Google News and found nothing about him being there.


Perhaps he no longer exists?? :P
U
urroner
bigbluepuma wrote:
bigbluepuma wrote:
bigbluepuma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?


That can be reasonably assumed. :angry:


I did a search on his name on Google News and found nothing about him being there.


Perhaps he no longer exists?? :P


There are some miracles that the Lord can't even do. :whistle:
B
bigbluepuma
Rats!
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yes. The issue isn't the T&M. It's the fact that it's on UNLV's home court. I'd be okay with the MWC tourney in LV if it was at the Orleans.


I'd rather have a change of dates than a change of venues. With BYU joining the WCC, it must be more attractive to ESPN than the WAC tourney - so make them switch dates - WAC tourney, and then WCC. I wouldn't mind moving the tourney to SoCal or even NoCal either.
S
stuckinbig10country
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Yes. The issue isn't the T&M. It's the fact that it's on UNLV's home court. I'd be okay with the MWC tourney in LV if it was at the Orleans.


I'd rather have a change of dates than a change of venues. With BYU joining the WCC, it must be more attractive to ESPN than the WAC tourney - so make them switch dates - WAC tourney, and then WCC. I wouldn't mind moving the tourney to SoCal or even NoCal either.


There will already need to be a change in dates because the semi-finals are on Sunday for the WCC. The change in venue is probably needed to house more fans than the Orleans can hold to accommodate the BYU fans.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I thought I remember seeing/reading something that the WCC was going to break on Sundays but still play the championship round on Monday.
K
kiwibacon
SpiffCoug wrote:
I thought I remember seeing/reading something that the WCC was going to break on Sundays but still play the championship round on Monday.

Friday, Saturday, then Monday Final.
S
SpiffCoug
So the last place team won't make the tourney?



I'd still like to see a similar bracket to the MWC women's where the top 2 seeds don't enter the tourney until the semis as a reward for having been at the top of the conference.



It also helps protect your best teams' RPI by not having to play another dog team.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
bigbluepuma wrote:
bigbluepuma wrote:
bigbluepuma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?


That can be reasonably assumed. :angry:


I did a search on his name on Google News and found nothing about him being there.


Perhaps he no longer exists?? :P


I think it's just that Satan can only be in one place at a time, and he had a prior engagement.
U
urroner
Ungoy wrote:
urroner wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
No problem with holding the tourney in Sin City (just don't participate). The problem has always been giving UNLV the home court advantage every year. I'll be sooooooooo glad to be rid of that travesty .....and Craig Thompson......and The Mountain........and...


Speaking of Hair, by chance was he in San Diego Saturday night to present them the MWC co-champion trophy?


That can be reasonably assumed. :angry:


I did a search on his name on Google News and found nothing about him being there.


Perhaps he no longer exists?? :P


I think it's just that Satan can only be in one place at a time, and he had a prior engagement.


How dare you insult Satan! What did he ever do to deserve that type of treatment?
C
CannonCougar85
SpiffCoug wrote:
So the last place team won't make the tourney?



I'd still like to see a similar bracket to the MWC women's where the top 2 seeds don't enter the tourney until the semis as a reward for having been at the top of the conference.



It also helps protect your best teams' RPI by not having to play another dog team.


Right now the WCC Mens bracket is set up just like the MWC Womens bracket.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket/_/id/77/2011-west-coast-tournament



The WCC Commissioner was asked about it on Friday and he said that the reasons for it were, exactly as you said, to reward the top seeds and to help their RPI.



The Commish also said that the Orleans Arena is looking for ways to increase the seating capacity of their venue for next season to accommodate the increase in ticket sales that will come with BYU joining.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.