Archived Topic

Is Caffeine Really Covered in the HC?

by Schmoe · 3/7/2011

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I keep seeing this on ESPN, I know that coffee and tea are specifically mentioned but I didn't think caffeine was. I know you can't get caffeine on campus, but is it really against the honor code to drink it?
B
BYUROCKS
Schmoe wrote:
I keep seeing this on ESPN, I know that coffee and tea are specifically mentioned but I didn't think caffeine was. I know you can't get caffeine on campus, but is it really against the honor code to drink it?




No, it is not, it is looked down on, but not outlawed.
G
Gunk
BYUROCKS wrote:
I keep seeing this on ESPN, I know that coffee and tea are specifically mentioned but I didn't think caffeine was. I know you can't get caffeine on campus, but is it really against the honor code to drink it?




No, it is not, it is looked down on, but not outlawed.


But it is against team rules. :P
B
BroncoBot
depends on the temperature at which it's drunk.
B
BroncoBot
ESPN got it right in this article:



Tim Tebow, Amare Stoudemire support dismissed BYU C Davies



"The honor code requires students to be honest; live a chaste and virtuous life; use clean language; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and illegal substances; and attend church regularly."
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
declocoug wrote:
ESPN got it right in this article:



Tim Tebow, Amare Stoudemire support dismissed BYU C Davies



"The honor code requires students to be honest; live a chaste and virtuous life; use clean language; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and illegal substances; and attend church regularly."


Watch the video connected with the article, they put caffeine on the screen as something students can't use. Oh, and Amare is an ass.
E
EM_Puma
I don't know if the written code changed in the last five years, but I can't remember exactly, but it might have been related to 2007 FB recruit Ryan Kessman in the incident where he drove some players to some night club in Salt Lake. There were issues because the honor code stated that BYU students were not allowed to be at places that sold alcolhol. I got a copy of the honor code and I sent a copy of that part highlighted to President Samuelson and I asked him how could that be written as such as then that would not allow students to be in places like TGIFridays with their families, or any other similar sports grill that also sells alcohol. I understand the code had been written with the intention of baring students from bars, but the wording was vastly too vague and general. He never responded and I sent it interoffice mail to BYU as I work at the Church headquarters.
S
Schmoe
Puma, I remember something a couple years ago, and it seemed like the wording was changed to something like "place that primarily serves alcohol," something along those lines. So they can't be at a kegger or night club, but can go to Fridays or Shabu Shabu.
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
I keep seeing this on ESPN, I know that coffee and tea are specifically mentioned but I didn't think caffeine was. I know you can't get caffeine on campus, but is it really against the honor code to drink it?


Here's the Honor Code - it does not specifically mention caffeine - "Party On!!!" LOL!!



"Honor Code Statement

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).



As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will



Be honest

Live a chaste and virtuous life

Obey the law and all campus policies

Use clean language

Respect others

Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse

Participate regularly in church services

Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards

Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code



Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)"
M
mizzoucoug
I don't really care either way, but the only kids I knew who drank caffeine did so as often as possible. It's not to say they were necessarily addicted but they all reported on separate occasions that they desperately hustled to 7-11 every morning before classes to get their fix and then they drank a Dew or Coke all throughout the block of classes, which I witnessed on a daily basis...I am nobody's judge but doesn't that kind of behavior throw up red flags?
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
mizzoucoug wrote:
I don't really care either way, but the only kids I knew who drank caffeine did so as often as possible. It's not to say they were necessarily addicted but they all reported on separate occasions that they desperately hustled to 7-11 every morning before classes to get their fix and then they drank a Dew or Coke all throughout the block of classes, which I witnessed on a daily basis...I am nobody's judge but doesn't that kind of behavior throw up red flags?




Uh oh! Rebels!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
mizzoucoug wrote:
I don't really care either way, but the only kids I knew who drank caffeine did so as often as possible. It's not to say they were necessarily addicted but they all reported on separate occasions that they desperately hustled to 7-11 every morning before classes to get their fix and then they drank a Dew or Coke all throughout the block of classes, which I witnessed on a daily basis...I am nobody's judge but doesn't that kind of behavior throw up red flags?


Here's a funny "Red Flag" (TIC - but true) story. About 3 years ago I was on a Father's & Son' Camp-out. It was Saturday around 11 AM - myself and about 3 of my buds in my Ward were breaking into an ice chest we brought. One of the guys pulled out a Diet Dr. Pepper.



About 60-70 ft. away was the 1st Counselor in the Bishopric. He saw that Diet Dr. Pepper & came at a dead run (and if you knew this guy - he never exercised or ran - ever.) He was panting & asked "Do you have another Dr. pepper or a Coke?" We all laughed. It was obvious he was a regular Coke (or Dr. Pepper) drinker & he really wanted that drink badly!! It was hilarious!! Is that a "Red Flag??" LOL!
Y
YBrit
The gestapo (HCO) has tried to get caffeine on, but not successful yet.
S
Schmoe
YBrit wrote:
The gestapo (HCO) has tried to get caffeine on, but not successful yet.


Source?
S
SenorCougar
We laugh about the "temperature of the caffine", but I was on a committee at work and I was the only LDS individual on the committee. (1 of 4). As casual talk before the committee began its meeting, one of the individuals inquired about caffinated drinks. He asked what was the difference between a morning cup of coffee and a morning cup of Mountain Dew. That really baffles them ... to see an LDS acquaintence drinking 3 bottles of Mountain Dew, but not touching the coffee. Is it the caffine they're avoiding? Is it the temperature? If so, do they drink HOT chocolate? These were questions I was asked and wasn't sure how to answer them. Do I tell them that the Lord has not "spoken" regarding caffinated sodas? Or do I tell them that Elder McConkie in Mormon Doctrine says that these drinks are "not in the spirit of the Word of Wisdom"? I can understand the confusion, but it really puts you on the spot when asked by someone not of our faith these questions.....
Advertisement
L
livin the dream
SenorCougar wrote:
We laugh about the "temperature of the caffine"... I can understand the confusion, but it really puts you on the spot when asked by someone not of our faith these questions.....


Obviously we know that this has always been a "grey area," and I can totally see why people (like the media) can get confused and put caffeine as part of the honor code. BYU does not serve it anywhere on campus, to me that means they don't want their students consuming it. I think BYU ought to just sell it on campus to eliminate this confusion, or restrict it as part of the code, but then 90% of BYU students would have to make a trip to the HCO...
B
Brayden Green
If we didn't make a big deal of it, other people wouldn't. The problem is that too many "Dogmatic" (read: Stupid or Utah) Mormons don't know their own religion. (and p.s. I'm from Utah).





Too many are concerned with not watching rated R movies, and not drinking caffeine, that they are missing the whole point about religion.



"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might live a dogmatic approach to all things religion and God, living life in fear, guilt and shame." Is that how it went? It's something like that...
S
Schmoe
I don't claim to know or even come close to knowing all of the reasons the WOW was given to us by God, but I will say that there are many harmful substances in both Tea and Coffee that go way beyond caffeine. I guess caffeine is still a personal choice, I try to avoid it (did a research paper on the effects of drinking caffeine while pregnant, you wouldn't believe all the terrible things it can do), but I still drink a Dew or DP on the grave shift sometimes. And, though I didn't even apply to BYU because of the HC (nothing big, just the curfew and the like that I didn't want to deal with), I'm glad that they also leave caffeine out of any specific rules.
U
urroner
If caffeine or caffeine like substances were outlawed at BYU, all the coed would be on the outside looking in due to chocolate.
K
KYCoug
urroner wrote:
If caffeine or caffeine like substances were outlawed at BYU, all the coed would be on the outside looking in due to chocolate.



My Bishop who is a PHD in Chemistry tells us that caffeine is a family of substances, not all alike and that the caffeine in chocolate is different than the caffeine in coffee.



I wonder about green tea, my daughter in St George tells me everyone in Utah drinks it for the anti oxidants. But the only difference between green tea and black tea leaf tea is one is dried and ground up and the other is oxidized and ground up. It's the same tea leaf in the beginning.



You can go around in circles with the WoW but I won't say a thing as long as I have this extra tire around my middle!?! :~(
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.