Archived Topic

Not cool

by Sammich · 3/5/2011

Advertisement
S
Sammich
Without calling anyone specific out, I just want to say that divulging "the scoop" you've heard about an athlete's personal life on message boards just so you can be the guy "in the know" makes you no better than Franchuk (even assuming he stooped to the low we've heard rumors of). It's too late now, but that's a very amoral thing to do and I hope nobody else takes it upon themselves to do such a thing in the future.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sammich, i generally agree with what you are saying. BUt at this point, almost for Brandon's sake, the truth, though usually none of our business, would be better than all the speculation getting flung around. I mean, two gf's? C'mon Brandon. Youre not in the NBA yet.

So, if that unnnamed person you refer to is throwing this around and its false, then you are right, shame on him for making a career out of "being in the know" and lording it over multiple boards.

BUt then again, I am not "without [posting] sins" so I wont cast any stones. I have been pretty agitated about this whole thing.

I still disagree with the way this was handled by BYU. And I still believe that the supposedly well-honed "science" that TH referred to will be altered because it wasnt so well-honed.
S
Sammich
I totally disagree. The truth, if that's what it really is, is more damaging to the people involved than any amount of unsupported speculation. When it gets this specific, where names are named and multiple people's mistakes are being publicly tossed around like the statistics of a potential recruit, it becomes something far worse. Ask the families involved and I bet they'd tell you they'd prefer non-specific speculation that didn't drag anyone's names and deeds unnecessarily into it.
C
Cougs_Rule
Well said. I guess I just accept, not to be confused with condone, that society today, with all the technology mixed gossip-ers will render the same thing we have currently--massive unveiling of the accused lives' and at an unprecedented level. It is a near unstoppable force. So, yes, if someone has info this sensitive and is leaking it out, i get that that person is complicit in shameful, slimy behavior.

This is my issue with BYU. I believe they are complicit in exposing these details. NOt just that it would have been better to simply state "suspension for breaking team rules" but even more significantly, finding a way other than the unintentional parading of Brandon and this girl(s) to the whole nation. AND ITS NOT OVER By ANY STRETCH! If People mag and Today show picked up the story, what do you think will happen when the press finds out who the girl is--particularly if she's pregnant. I can see it now some innane explicit or implicit statement and picture. "The face that launched a thousand [reports]" "the girl who helped take down the best season in bball history." "the girl who helped put the HC code on the national spotlight. ITs all sickening. And its certainly NOT COOL. BYU needs to find a better way to get Parade ALL-Americans (pun intended)--And we have forgotten about Jimmer's Fantasy season which is also pathetic. BYU needs to find a better way to discipline their HC breaking, high profile students.
S
Sammich
dmcougar wrote:
Well said. I guess I just accept, not to be confused with condone, that society today, with all the technology mixed gossip-ers will render the same thing we have currently--massive unveiling of the accused lives' and at an unprecedented level. It is a near unstoppable force. So, yes, if someone has info this sensitive and is leaking it out, i get that that person is complicit in shameful, slimy behavior.

This is my issue with BYU. I believe they are complicit in exposing these details. NOt just that it would have been better to simply state "suspension for breaking team rules" but even more significantly, finding a way other than the unintentional parading of Brandon and this girl(s) to the whole nation. AND ITS NOT OVER By ANY STRETCH! If People mag and Today show picked up the story, what do you think will happen when the press finds out who the girl is--particularly if she's pregnant. I can see it now some innane explicit or implicit statement and picture. "The face that launched a thousand [reports]" "the girl who helped take down the best season in bball history." "the girl who helped put the HC code on the national spotlight. ITs all sickening. And its certainly NOT COOL. BYU needs to find a better way to get Parade ALL-Americans (pun intended)--And we have forgotten about Jimmer's Fantasy season which is also pathetic. BYU needs to find a better way to discipline their HC breaking, high profile students.

I agree that BYU should have used more careful wording---it's true that the press and online sites will, in truly despicable form, eventually reveal every sordid detail on a story this big---but that's why I hate everything the press stands for these days. For the same reason I don't think true fans of the players, team, and university should lower themselves to that behavior either.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Sammich wrote:
Without calling anyone specific out, I just want to say that divulging "the scoop" you've heard about an athlete's personal life on message boards just so you can be the guy "in the know" makes you no better than Franchuk (even assuming he stooped to the low we've heard rumors of). It's too late now, but that's a very amoral thing to do and I hope nobody else takes it upon themselves to do such a thing in the future.


Yep. It's one thing to cast a stone or two at so called journalists that use BYU for their own perceived gain and another to name or address the people involved, beyond the bare essentials. These are kids for goodness sake. We're better than that.
G
Guest
The real blame lies with the media and the fans here. Very little goes on BYU. Yes, BYU should have said he's off the team for violation of team rules. But don't for a second think that the fans and the reporters wouldn't instantly be digging into find out what it is (and the fact that it's an HC violation would be guessed at within hours. We'd still have all the fans posting what they've heard from various sources.



BYU has revealed nothing in terms of what the violation was (other than its not criminal), yet because of over zealous fans and sleazebag reporters we all "know" about multiple girls and possible pregnancies.



As soon as fans and the media stop holding athletes to a different standard than the rest of the population, we're going to have these issues.
B
Brayden Green
I refuse to take credit for someone else allegedly sleeping around against his contract.



Regardless of how we choose to handle it, it doesn't change the fact that someone chose to live his/her "life in the fast lane".



We can choose to not follow sports all together, and then it wouldn't be a big deal if the starting PF for the team you used to follow gets booted.



I wonder which one the athletes would rather have: 21,000 screaming fans and national media attention OR nothing.



The athletes can't have it both ways. They can't expect to be on the national stage and then not have their laundry aired publicly. They chose this for themselves, don't forget that. You can choose your actions, but unfortunately you always don't get to choose the punishment.



I think the way this has been handled is a bloody shame and shambles to Davies, and I feel sorry for what must be happening, but he tipped the dominoes when he let his pants do the thinking for him.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Well said. I guess I just accept, not to be confused with condone, that society today, with all the technology mixed gossip-ers will render the same thing we have currently--massive unveiling of the accused lives' and at an unprecedented level. It is a near unstoppable force. So, yes, if someone has info this sensitive and is leaking it out, i get that that person is complicit in shameful, slimy behavior.

This is my issue with BYU. I believe they are complicit in exposing these details. NOt just that it would have been better to simply state "suspension for breaking team rules" but even more significantly, finding a way other than the unintentional parading of Brandon and this girl(s) to the whole nation. AND ITS NOT OVER By ANY STRETCH! If People mag and Today show picked up the story, what do you think will happen when the press finds out who the girl is--particularly if she's pregnant. I can see it now some innane explicit or implicit statement and picture. "The face that launched a thousand [reports]" "the girl who helped take down the best season in bball history." "the girl who helped put the HC code on the national spotlight. ITs all sickening. And its certainly NOT COOL. BYU needs to find a better way to get Parade ALL-Americans (pun intended)--And we have forgotten about Jimmer's Fantasy season which is also pathetic. BYU needs to find a better way to discipline their HC breaking, high profile students.


Now we get to what it would apparently taken for BYU not to have offended your perspective on how it should have been handled. Everyone is really ticked off becasue he got dismissed from the team at a critical time. So unless they were willing to let him stay on the team, all of this speculation would have happened no matter what words BYU used to announce the suspension.



I suspect that the family of a young woman at ASU is quite motivated to make it clear that she is not pregnant. If the UVU student is pregnant - don't you imagine that she has many friends that know she was dating Davies. Would you not imagine that if nothing else, there are a few BYU haters over at UYU, and someone would let the cat out of the bag when she suddenly dropped out of school and seemed to be carrying the brunt of the problem while Brandon was knocking down a double double in the Big Dance.



All of this was unavoidable once the two of them took a bite out of what I refer to in my family as "The Forbidden Fruit".
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.