Archived Topic

A Longhorn with questions

by hookemhorns · 3/3/2011

Advertisement
H
hookemhorns
Hi everyone, I did not come here to flame or anything. I have posted on your football board in the past and I'm sure I will in the future as football season draws near.



I really feel bad for you guys. I went to see you play TCU in Fort Worth and thought your team was fantastic and could go a long way in the tourney. I also feel bad for Davies and hope things work out for him.



1. Who are your main backups and do they compare to the Davies?

2. Do you think he'll end up transferring? I don't know the precedent for these kind of things at your school.



Thanks for the info and wish all of you well.



Steven

Hook 'em
L
Lawboy
hookem,



Depth, and especially in the post, is a real issue for BYU this year. Our other best post player went out earlier with a knee issue, so we are down 2 bigs. Behind them we are bad. Really bad. If I were you, I would not pick us past Sweet 16--at most--in the NCAA pool this year.



As for if he transfers, it is up to him. BYU has had kids get booted or become academic dropouts that make it back after a year. He still has a RS season, so could enroll at a local uni, and still come back. up to him. But if he wants back, BYU will create a path for him to do so. If he follows that plan, he can come back.
K
kiwibacon
Lawboy wrote:
hookem,



Depth, and especially in the post, is a real issue for BYU this year. Our other best post player went out earlier with a knee issue, so we are down 2 bigs. Behind them we are bad. Really bad. If I were you, I would not pick us past Sweet 16--at most--in the NCAA pool this year.



As for if he transfers, it is up to him. BYU has had kids get booted or become academic dropouts that make it back after a year. He still has a RS season, so could enroll at a local uni, and still come back. up to him. But if he wants back, BYU will create a path for him to do so. If he follows that plan, he can come back.

I have been away for a few hours so I am not sure if anything has changed yet. I don't want to presume anything but Davies decided to go to BYU initially over other good D1 schools he had offers from. If he is allowed to stay and come back next year or redshirt next year and come back the following year I see him staying. If he is not allowed to comeback to basketball(in my opinion it would be stupid not to let him comeback at some point) then I think it is 50/50. He may still stay just to finish up school or he may go wanting to play a sport he loves.
C
Cougarbib
I presume Brandon Davies plans to play professional ball. NBA- too early to tell if he has what it takes. Europe - probably a possibility after more development in college. Best bet for him is probably to take whatever consequence he is given and requirements for returning to the team that are made, and doing it.



If he remains single, he may not want to take the risk that he might repeat the mistake because with a red-shirt year left, he right now has a graceful way to transfer to another D1 school. If he burns a red-shirt year, comes back, makes a similar mistake, there would be no graceful transition at that point.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
Let's see, functional back-ups...hmmm....thinking...
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Let's see, functional back-ups...hmmm....thinking...

This could take a while......
I
imuakahuku
declocoug wrote:
Let's see, functional back-ups...hmmm....thinking...

This could take a while......


Hit ctr-alt-del already and end task!



Functional - somewhat

good - not in their current state of mind. Being 6'10 in its own right should give one a great chance of scoring when standing under the basket but for Anderson he kinda panics and throws the ball over the hoop. He needs confidence that he can play the game and play it well but he seems to get in and then forgets what his assignments are. if he "grows up" in the next few weeks then maybe we have a chance otherwise it is going to be real hard with just Rogers and Hartsock.
C
CougarPeasant
Even Watson would have been stumped on whether BYU had a serviceable back up center.



As for transferring, I don't see it. I think the team and coaches will embrace davies and help him through this dark period for him and he'll come back. The down side is if he messes up again, he's out permanently.



Others have come back from similar circumstances and have been successful.
H
hookemhorns
Cool, thanks for your in-site everyone! Really interesting and I for one don't have any negative feelings on what BYU did. Hey, he bought his ticket when he chose BYU so the consequences of his actions should not be a surprise to anyone. Again, that's not being negative, it's just a fact to me looking from the outside in.



Hey, looking forward to seeing you guys come into Austin next year in football to play my Horns. As the game draws near, I'll be posting places to go to eat and where to stay and all that to help ya'll out.



Best regards,

Steven
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.