Archived Topic

Gordon Monson Open Hand Article

by sandiegoblue · 3/3/2011

Advertisement
S
sandiegoblue
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/51355487-88/byu-code-honor-lds.html.csp?page=1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I know many of you will never read another Gordon Monson article. I don't care much for most of his articles either. However, in the open hand article I like a small part of his premise.



Where students break the HC, I wish there were a better way to resolve issues. I would rather the bishop and/or stake leaders or ecclessiastical leaders be the ones making the final decisions about these students.



Maybe that's just not feasible. But I sometimes wonder how much mercy there is to balance out justice when it comes to the HC office. Bishops, stake presidents, and high councils are imperfect and sometimes mess this up, too. But I trust their hearts and inspiration more than I do the HC office.



This input is only based on my distant purview of BYU's HC office in my lifetime of 42 years. I have never personally met with any of the HC officers and have only heard first person acounts of those who have dealt with them. So anyone who disagrees, I welcome your input.
G
Guest
Thats the good question, whats the balance of mercy and justice and is it being used spiritual by revelation as it should be. I hope that it is, and if it's not, I feel bad for those that are doing so unwisely, as it will be on their head in the end.



As for Monson, he's a tool.
L
Lawboy
From the info out there, BYU had no choice on this one. Sounds like it is another Harvey Unga scenario. I agree that teh HC process can suck, but I think they got it right in teh end. How they got there left something to be desired, however.
C
CAFB_04-12
Monson is a muckraking clown.



Everyone wants an honor code without consequences. Well, an honor code without consequences is not an honor code. Sometimes consequences in life are hard. Sometimes we make decisions that have an unintended effect on ourselves or others. Life is that way. Life doesn't care. Why should the BYU honor code be any different? The Lord forgives, but he allows us to suffer the consequences anyway. The Lord is so unfair.
S
snoscythe
The only thing I wish that BYU would do differently is this: say they are off the team for a violation of team/university rules and leave it at that. Other than that, I have no problem with how this was handled.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:

As for Monson, he's a tool.


He's worse than that. He's an Arrogant, Punk, Back stabbing Jack-off dork!

That's right.

:bug:
I
imuakahuku
Man he is a tool. I feel dumber for reading it. Yeah maybe the school should just prosecute preditor and let the rest of the students have orgies as long as they feel bad about it afterwards. Maybe they can make a fast offering or "extra" tithing donation before attending and get a permission slip to be "human". Afterall, premarital sex is just being human. BTW, so Brandon confessed to Monson that he had premarital sex? It is right there in the article and as far as I know all the speculation is that but noone has officially acknowledged it.

The article is nothing more than an iron fisted jab at BYU. Nothing more. Maybe if he trolled the campus in Salt Lake he could find something interesting to write about at the U. No, he likes taking his liberal ideals and pushing them in the face of conservative BYU fans and alumni.

As I said, man what a tool.
B
BoiseBYU
It's a shame this guy shares a last name with someone I respect greatly
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:
It's a shame this guy shares a last name with someone I respect greatly


Kinda like Ezra Taft Benson and his grandson(?), the newspaper cartoonist.
B
BroncoBot
imuakahuku wrote:
Man he is a tool. I feel dumber for reading it. Yeah maybe the school should just prosecute preditor and let the rest of the students have orgies as long as they feel bad about it afterwards. Maybe they can make a fast offering or "extra" tithing donation before attending and get a permission slip to be "human". Afterall, premarital sex is just being human. BTW, so Brandon confessed to Monson that he had premarital sex? It is right there in the article and as far as I know all the speculation is that but noone has officially acknowledged it.

The article is nothing more than an iron fisted jab at BYU. Nothing more. Maybe if he trolled the campus in Salt Lake he could find something interesting to write about at the U. No, he likes taking his liberal ideals and pushing them in the face of conservative BYU fans and alumni.

As I said, man what a tool.

Sadly, I'd assume that this is exactly the type of response he revels in.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
declocoug wrote:
Man he is a tool. I feel dumber for reading it. Yeah maybe the school should just prosecute preditor and let the rest of the students have orgies as long as they feel bad about it afterwards. Maybe they can make a fast offering or "extra" tithing donation before attending and get a permission slip to be "human". Afterall, premarital sex is just being human. BTW, so Brandon confessed to Monson that he had premarital sex? It is right there in the article and as far as I know all the speculation is that but noone has officially acknowledged it.

The article is nothing more than an iron fisted jab at BYU. Nothing more. Maybe if he trolled the campus in Salt Lake he could find something interesting to write about at the U. No, he likes taking his liberal ideals and pushing them in the face of conservative BYU fans and alumni.

As I said, man what a tool.

Sadly, I'd assume that this is exactly the type of response he revels in.


And I would bet the farm that you are right.



man what a tool! (for you know who).
N
NebraskaCoug
snoscythe wrote:
The only thing I wish that BYU would do differently is this: say they are off the team for a violation of team/university rules and leave it at that. Other than that, I have no problem with how this was handled.




I totally agree, and in fact posted a much too long explanation of my feelings in this regard in a different thread yesterday. I just don't think that we should be parsing violations so that it makes it easier for anyone to shout someone else's sins from the rooftops. That is the only thing I would have changed in this whole situation.
B
BroncoBot
imuakahuku wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
Man he is a tool. I feel dumber for reading it. Yeah maybe the school should just prosecute preditor and let the rest of the students have orgies as long as they feel bad about it afterwards. Maybe they can make a fast offering or "extra" tithing donation before attending and get a permission slip to be "human". Afterall, premarital sex is just being human. BTW, so Brandon confessed to Monson that he had premarital sex? It is right there in the article and as far as I know all the speculation is that but noone has officially acknowledged it.

The article is nothing more than an iron fisted jab at BYU. Nothing more. Maybe if he trolled the campus in Salt Lake he could find something interesting to write about at the U. No, he likes taking his liberal ideals and pushing them in the face of conservative BYU fans and alumni.

As I said, man what a tool.

Sadly, I'd assume that this is exactly the type of response he revels in.


And I would bet the farm that you are right.



man what a tool! (for you know who).

Ha, he is a tool, and I totally agreed with what you said. Just didn't want to give him the satisfaction of saying it out loud.



Thanks for voicing my opinion though.. :evil:
C
CougarPeasant
I read the article and thought that had BYU allowed Davies to finish the semester on the team that he'd bring up how Unga was suspended for the next season and that wouldn't have been fair. I thought his article was a jab and counterproductive. And like most others here, I think Monson's a tool too.
B
bouteloua
My favorite part of this article...



".....stop reading here and now."



GOOD Advice
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
bouteloua wrote:
My favorite part of this article...



".....stop reading here and now."



GOOD Advice


That should be the title of every article he writes er.. don't know if I call it writing because it is an insult to third graders and up that actually write coherently.
R
radius19
I thought this was a reference to a talk by President Monson. Glad I didn't follow the link... can't stand gordo.
S
stuckinbig10country
The sad thing is, not only does he share the same last name as a well respected person in the community, I believe he shares the same blood lines. The problem with Gordon is that he tries to hard to cover a bias. He grew up a BYU fan and attended BYU. He has, however, tried to build a reputation as an impartial observer, and in doing so has overcompensated and become biased to the other extreme.
S
SpiffCoug
I think BYU was utilizing an open hand, but when it became clear that the open hand was not changing the behavior and allowing for the repentance process to work, the method had to change.
D
Ddawg
I don't think I was very clear: I think Monson is a Punk - Tool - Slime Ball - Mouth Breathing Dweeb!!!!!



That's right!!!!

:crazy:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.