Davies loss is not good, for sure. However, here's another perspective.
1. Davies rarely did a lot of scoring, yes he had some good games, but he also had a bunch of zero and two point games. I disagree that his inside scoring threat is the key to this team's success.
2. Defense is where I worry, but I believe other players will step up, Anderson can play defense and he's a big body, if he only scores 5 points a game, so what?
3. This will be an opportunity for other players on the team to really step up and make a difference; Obouo can now be "the beast" and Harsock is a far more capable scorer than is Davies, Rogers can be a wild card piece in this puzzle.
4. Jimmer, Emery, Obouo and Hartsock are still on the team, last I checked. These guys make this team what it is, not Davies. Davies often got into foul trouble and wasn't on the floor when he was most needed--and what happened? the team won anyway, it didn't really matter. Yes BYU is now short one more body, and the depth issue is probably more significant than losing Davies. If Chris Collinsworth was healthy and playing, we'd hardly bat an eye at the loss of Davies.
Remember when Magic Johnson and the lakers were playing for the championship (I think Johnson was a rookie), and Kareem got injured and couldn't play in the final game? the coach moved Magic to the post. The Celtics hadn't prepared for this, they couldn't defend him down low, and Magic scores 42 points and the Lakers win the game and the championship. I don't know if we have a Magic to put in the post, but I believe it is New Mexico and Wyoming who now have a problem of trying to guess what BYU will do to "fix" this problem. And if teams think they can now run three and four guys at Jimmer; Obouo, Hartsock and Emery are going to score 20-30 points apiece, and BYU still wins. I think opposing coaches have already figured out that it is counterproductive to sacrifice good team defense just to try and stop Jimmer. It's bad coaching, it doesn't work, and other guys on the team will have big nights if teams try to do this anymore.