Archived Topic

Options Sans Davies

by Cougs_Rule · 3/2/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Ok, Options?



Noah and Anderson at the 5.



I see some stretching tweets about KC to the 4--no way!

Rogers, maybe. Better than KC.

Charles to the 4 if the opponent 4 is shorter. He has the strength to fight on the glass.

Magnussen, if the opponent is slow.

Any others?
B
BoiseBYU
Still thinking.....
B
BYULV
How's Chris Collinsworth's knee?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
My last post was in jest...I said this on the other topic, but I truly believe we will see even greater and more effective effort from the team, led by Jimmer and jackson. This team has not and DOES not give up. I think Rose will rise to the occasion too. He is a GREAT coach. I'm not saying we will keep winning...I think we will really have our hands full with CSU and SDSU, but we will still be proud at what the team does with this obstacle. I really believe this.
C
Cougs_Rule
I think we survive against sdsu. We lose to CSU. ANd any other team with good Bigs.

Its never been about their effort. Yes they will give the full measure and more.

Now as for UNM, we'll see. Now Anderson has to learn to stay out of foul trouble. Lets hope Coach Rose can Rise to that.
Advertisement
S
storminmormon
It should be Hartsock (starting) & Anderson at Center. Rogers (starting) & Magnusson at Power Forward. Abouo (starting) & KC at Small Forward. It's a small lineup but one that give you the best offense on the floor. Of course we are even more vulnerable to fall victim to foul trouble now.
Y
YBrit
This is a special season, wins have come in glorious fashion on big stages (so far) and Fredette has been a national phenom...the atmosphere is still special without him.



BYU has just one more road block to face against odds already stacked against them. I think BYU can and will win out, win the tourney and go deep...they are fighters, and will find a way.
B
BlueBaron
storminmormon wrote:
It should be Hartsock (starting) & Anderson at Center. Rogers (starting) & Magnusson at Power Forward. Abouo (starting) & KC at Small Forward. It's a small lineup but one that give you the best offense on the floor. Of course we are even more vulnerable to fall victim to foul trouble now.


I agree.



BYU doesn't have another player that can be a down-low scoring presence to replace Davies, so Coach Rose will probably look to Rogers and Collinsworth to help plug some of the holes in the offense. But even though Rogers is 6'8" (same height as Hartsock BTW), he is too thin to guard post players one-on-one, so I'm guessing we are going to see a lot more zone. My guess is Hartsock/Rogers will play inside with Hartsock/Rogers and Abouo/Collinsworth on the wings, and Jimmer and Jackson up top.



Note: I posted this in the other thread, but it has degenerated into a HC battle. What's done is done, people, let's move on and save HC issues for the summer when we have nothing else to talk about.
S
Sammich
Remember that for a good part of the year, Davies was MIA (a non-factor in early games) or sitting on the bench in foul trouble. When he's good, he's a big help for the team, but we've gotten along fine without him before and I think we'll do it again.
L
livin the dream
Just like every other fan out there, my hopes of a deep tourney run have taken a major blow, but this team is not a lost cause especially if they can come together and shoot like they did at SDSU.



My starting five would be Hartsock (C) Abouo (PF) KC (SF) and obviously Emery and the Jimmer. I know Chuck is a wing player, but with his Athleticism and nose for the rebounds, I think he could defend decently against the taller guys. They'd obviously have to be even more focused on transition ball, but that's what this team thrives at, and having to play small might not cripple our tourney run. (Depends on match-ups though)
Advertisement
K
kfilly20
James Anderson is not an option.
G
Gunk
Sammich wrote:
Remember that for a good part of the year, Davies was MIA (a non-factor in early games) or sitting on the bench in foul trouble. When he's good, he's a big help for the team, but we've gotten along fine without him before and I think we'll do it again.


Was thinking the same thing. We pretty much beat SDSU without him, though he's been great on the glass as of late.



Problem is, teams are perceiving him as an inside threat. He can score down low with his back to the basket. In fact, when he got the ball down low he often got doubled. Noah doesn't have the reputation and Anderson certainly doesn't either.
G
Gunk
kfilly20 wrote:
James Anderson is not an option.


If it's the only tool in the tool bag, is it really considered an "option?"
W
Wolverine
Gunk wrote:
James Anderson is not an option.


If it's the only tool in the tool bag, is it really considered an "option?"

Nope, it then becomes "essential"
B
beauso79
BYULV wrote:
How's Chris Collinsworth's knee?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That was my first thought too.



I think we have to go with:



1 - Jimmer

2 - Jackson

3 - KC

4 - Abouo

5 - Hartsock



We're going to have to these players to now play the entire game and not to foul, at all......Noah's going to have to become an IRON MAN and re-discover how to play with his back to the basket. Rogers now becomes a pivotal 6th man and we have become one of the shallowest teams in the nation. I just hope Davies is allowed to return next year and that he chooses to do so.
Advertisement
P
ProV1
I like Davies but I'm not dying over this. Zone, zone and more zone. Anderson can rebound okay. KC will have to man up, Magnusson will need to use his fouls, and Rogers needs to shoot with confidence. We have to move on and realize this simply means a few more shots for Jimmer.
B
beauso79
Gunk wrote:
Remember that for a good part of the year, Davies was MIA (a non-factor in early games) or sitting on the bench in foul trouble. When he's good, he's a big help for the team, but we've gotten along fine without him before and I think we'll do it again.


Was thinking the same thing. We pretty much beat SDSU without him, though he's been great on the glass as of late.



Problem is, teams are perceiving him as an inside threat. He can score down low with his back to the basket. In fact, when he got the ball down low he often got doubled. Noah doesn't have the reputation and Anderson certainly doesn't either.


Not only has Davies been great on the glass but he's been blocking a lot of shots lately too. His Dunks bring an excitement/perception of athleticism to the team that helps us pass the eye test to our critics. Hopefully we can still hold on to a 2 - seed. The selection committee will likely not be very kind to us as we've lost one of our better players. I could see us falling to a 3 or 4 seed now even if we win out. Our team will need to prove a lot tomorrow vs UNM
C
CougarPeasant
Does Shawn Bradley have any eligibility left? He only played the one year for BYU after all. Is it too late to recruit Tai Wesley?
B
BYULV
Ansah could probably fill in a few minutes down low for us, think bronco would mind sharing him?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
The committee isn't going to drop us to a 4 seed because one of our players is missing, as long as we win out, we'll be a one, otherwise we'll be a two.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.