K
kugrloverInteresting comparison.
Ainge played in the pre-internet, pre-ESPN/cable world. If you think the MWC is invisible to the major media, CBB fanbase and Eastern timezoners - the WAC didn't even exist for them. So Danny's senior season, he DESTROYS UCLA by dropping 30+ on them in the 1st round, in Providence IIRC. Dick Enberg is calling the game for NBC and he and his color commentator, a former DePaul star I think, are going NUTS on-air about Ainge, asking the world "...who IS this guy?"
Then in the 2nd round in Atlanta, he goes coast-to-coast to bounce ND and advance to the meeting with Virginia and Ralph Sampson. BYU loses a close game which featured a controversial goal-tend call on Sampson.
On the strength of only his NCAA tournament performance, Ainge comes literally out of nowhere to win the POY.
Now contrast that with Jimmer's season. He has been the face of college basketball (not my words) this season and has fans coast-to-coast following his every move, including NBA stars, entertainment world people and wannabe Jimmers all over twitter. As of my last check this morning, most national media guys, including ESPN's Pat Forde and CBSSports.com still have Jimmer on-top of POY. He is still far out in front of the ESPN fan poll and Vegas has him light years ahead of the field.
IMO, Jimmer will be fine unless he absolutely vanishes the rest of the season, and by that I basically mean does not play. I don't think he needs to rev his scoring average back-up over 30. I think 20+ with maybe one or two more major eruptions will get it done.
Then there is this comparison, albeit from a different sport.
Remember Ty Detmer's Heisman year? He beats #1 Miami in Provo on national TV to leap to the front of the Heisman race. He then rides that wave with a solid rest of the season. There are fan polls and media polls and discussion after every weekend's games. Ty is up, then it's Ismail, then Ty, then another guy. BYU fans everywhere are biting their nails heading into the Heisman announcement, but when the voting totals are revealed, it's pretty much a runaway landslide for Ty.
I foresee a similar outcome for Jimmer. When the dust settles and the announcement is made, Jimmer is the POY. I think the voting will be closer than it was for Ty's Heisman, but I still think Jimmer rules the day.
We'll see.
-----
Michael McQuain - BYU '82
http://twitter.com/kugrlover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ainge played in the pre-internet, pre-ESPN/cable world. If you think the MWC is invisible to the major media, CBB fanbase and Eastern timezoners - the WAC didn't even exist for them. So Danny's senior season, he DESTROYS UCLA by dropping 30+ on them in the 1st round, in Providence IIRC. Dick Enberg is calling the game for NBC and he and his color commentator, a former DePaul star I think, are going NUTS on-air about Ainge, asking the world "...who IS this guy?"
Then in the 2nd round in Atlanta, he goes coast-to-coast to bounce ND and advance to the meeting with Virginia and Ralph Sampson. BYU loses a close game which featured a controversial goal-tend call on Sampson.
On the strength of only his NCAA tournament performance, Ainge comes literally out of nowhere to win the POY.
Now contrast that with Jimmer's season. He has been the face of college basketball (not my words) this season and has fans coast-to-coast following his every move, including NBA stars, entertainment world people and wannabe Jimmers all over twitter. As of my last check this morning, most national media guys, including ESPN's Pat Forde and CBSSports.com still have Jimmer on-top of POY. He is still far out in front of the ESPN fan poll and Vegas has him light years ahead of the field.
IMO, Jimmer will be fine unless he absolutely vanishes the rest of the season, and by that I basically mean does not play. I don't think he needs to rev his scoring average back-up over 30. I think 20+ with maybe one or two more major eruptions will get it done.
Then there is this comparison, albeit from a different sport.
Remember Ty Detmer's Heisman year? He beats #1 Miami in Provo on national TV to leap to the front of the Heisman race. He then rides that wave with a solid rest of the season. There are fan polls and media polls and discussion after every weekend's games. Ty is up, then it's Ismail, then Ty, then another guy. BYU fans everywhere are biting their nails heading into the Heisman announcement, but when the voting totals are revealed, it's pretty much a runaway landslide for Ty.
I foresee a similar outcome for Jimmer. When the dust settles and the announcement is made, Jimmer is the POY. I think the voting will be closer than it was for Ty's Heisman, but I still think Jimmer rules the day.
We'll see.
-----
Michael McQuain - BYU '82
http://twitter.com/kugrlover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

