Archived Topic

BYU vs TCU Positives and A concern

by SpiffCoug · 2/20/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
- Teammates. Rogers with 15 pts. KC with 8 rebounds. Four non-Jimmers in double figures.

- Ball movement and without the ball movement. 14 assists on 22 FGs shows guys are passing the ball quickly and moving without it in their hands.

- Rebounding. 40 total rebounds.

- Team defense. 36.9% FG and 26.3% 3P by TCU.



Now a concern or two:

- Jimmer's turnovers. 20 in the last four games. I'm hoping the upcoming stretch of CSU, SDSU and UNM focuses him a bit in this department. The ones today were more of the inadvertent pass than getting caught with nowhere to go.

- No, that's pretty much it.



Thoughts? Additional positives or concerns?
P
ProV1
Positive: the non-Jimmers are looking to score when they have the ball, not just give it back to Jimmer. Rogers took it to the hoop, Abouo shoots when open, Emery is never afraid to jack it up. When Jimmer is hot they know to keep him fed but I like the all around aggression on offense.
G
Gunk
Positive: Defense and rebounding was great today. I liked the switching of zone to man and back again. Our guys did a good job of blocking out and grabbing boards too.



Negative: As Kitic mentioned, Jimmer's turnovers are becoming all too frequent. He's forcing things a bit and dribbling into traffic way too much. 27 pts per game is a high percentage to maintain. He needs to realize that.



Teams have figured out that when he takes it to the hole they need one defender on high to try to disrupt the shot and bring another defender down low to try and swipe the ball. TCU did a great job at this today. One defender high, one defender low.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes, turnovers. This does look a little bit more like the Jimmer of last year than the Jimmer who clearly worked on this and had a strong assist to turnover ratio the first half of the season.

As cycles of ups and downs go, I am hoping that Jimmer is a little down right now and that come tourney time he will get back in a groove. He has to work quite hard for his points lately. Almost forcing it a bit.
S
SpiffCoug
I wonder if Jimmer has been bored the last two weeks. Outside of the UNLV home game we haven't been really challenged or had to get up for any game.



I like having CSU this week before SDSU. It's going to be a big game, but not huge. Enough to focus the team and get it ready for the epic showdown next weekend.



Maybe the CSU, SDSU, UNM stretch will be what this team needs to focus and for Jimmer to rediscover his magic.



I really think the poor quality of opponents have lulled this team to a certain extent.
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
Can we refrain from calling other members of the basketball team non-Jimmers...Look at what has happened with the BCS...now everyone is a NON-qualifier unless you are from a BCS conference. Instead of calling the other players non-Jimmers I suggest...Mid-Jimmers.



That is all. :whistle:
C
CougarPeasant
How about as his supporting cast, we call them the "Fredettes"?



Positives. Again Abouo played well. Hartsock had a fine game. rebounded well and scored 10 points and scored early.



I too think CSU is a great game to play before SDSU as I think CSU's strengths are similar to SDSU's and benefits our team to have a scrimmage against a team similar to the Aztecs.



Two more positives: additional records/milestone, Jimmer tied JT for most 3s in a season and Rose tied Reid for 2d on most wins as a coach. Rose should break the record in about 8-9 years at his present rate and if he stays that long, which I think he will.



Positive/Negative: Jimmer still is trying to carry the team like he did against SDSU, but the team is playing better overall and so Jimmer can let the game flow more rather than continue to press like he has been.
M
mizzoucoug
I love Rogers' game. That kid goes to the rack like nobody else on our team can and it changes our team's identity whenever he is out there. Also, did anyone else notice that for once, when Jimmer was sitting, that our offense didn't look lost? We played great. Hartsock posted up (another positive) and he had some good moves and looks with his back to the basket (something he needs to keep doing).



Agreed on the defensive switch--we weren't covering the perimeter well in the zone so Rose went back to man, which worked well.



I was saying the same thing as Kitic yesterday...Jimmer is probably a bit bored by these teams we're playing. I mean he doesn't have to do much for us to beat Wyoming and TCU. He'll get going on Wednesday in prep for the Aztecs.
B
bball
Ok, I think all the starters have had their slump, Hartsock, Davies, Collinsworth, Emery, and now Jimmer. Do we realize how good this team is when it's hitting on all cylinders? Holy smokes, these guys are beating everybody while playing at half strength. If they all emerge, and I'm not worried about Jimmer at all, these guys will go deep into the NCAA.
B
BYULV
Not sure if it's a positive or negative, but zylstra's missed dunk near the end of the game, rejected by the rim, landing him on the floor. At least it had Rose and the guys on the bench laughing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
beauso79
mizzoucoug wrote:
I love Rogers' game. That kid goes to the rack like nobody else on our team can and it changes our team's identity whenever he is out there. Also, did anyone else notice that for once, when Jimmer was sitting, that our offense didn't look lost? We played great. Hartsock posted up (another positive) and he had some good moves and looks with his back to the basket (something he needs to keep doing).



Agreed on the defensive switch--we weren't covering the perimeter well in the zone so Rose went back to man, which worked well.



I was saying the same thing as Kitic yesterday...Jimmer is probably a bit bored by these teams we're playing. I mean he doesn't have to do much for us to beat Wyoming and TCU. He'll get going on Wednesday in prep for the Aztecs.


Agree on Rogers, he's able to do things that guys like Magnusson couldn't dream of. I don't know why but it bugs the CRAP out of me seeing Magnusson at the 4 and Noah at the 5 on the floor at the same time. Talk about an nonathletic front line. Should have been Rogers out there instead of Magnusson. I don't care if Magnusson outweighs Rogers, Rogers has length and athleticism to help make up for his lack of size plus he can shoot the 3. Magnusson just sits on the perimeter expecting to be a shooter like everybody else.....I say BOOO
B
BYULV
Oh, I also liked that when the subs came in they were looking for shots. Martinau jacked up two threes without much forethought. Although I would have cringed had it been in the middle of a tight game, I was glad to see the subs had the green lit to run the offense and not be hesitant. I like it when coaches use game time to prepare their subs rather than just make them run the clock out. I imagine that is part of the reason he leaves many of the starters in near the end with a game out of reach, to give these guys time to gel with the starters.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
beauso79 wrote:
I love Rogers' game. That kid goes to the rack like nobody else on our team can and it changes our team's identity whenever he is out there. Also, did anyone else notice that for once, when Jimmer was sitting, that our offense didn't look lost? We played great. Hartsock posted up (another positive) and he had some good moves and looks with his back to the basket (something he needs to keep doing).



Agreed on the defensive switch--we weren't covering the perimeter well in the zone so Rose went back to man, which worked well.



I was saying the same thing as Kitic yesterday...Jimmer is probably a bit bored by these teams we're playing. I mean he doesn't have to do much for us to beat Wyoming and TCU. He'll get going on Wednesday in prep for the Aztecs.


Agree on Rogers, he's able to do things that guys like Magnusson couldn't dream of. I don't know why but it bugs the CRAP out of me seeing Magnusson at the 4 and Noah at the 5 on the floor at the same time. Talk about an nonathletic front line. Should have been Rogers out there instead of Magnusson. I don't care if Magnusson outweighs Rogers, Rogers has length and athleticism to help make up for his lack of size plus he can shoot the 3. Magnusson just sits on the perimeter expecting to be a shooter like everybody else.....I say BOOO


seems to me that Rose puts Magnusson in when of defense is getting beat under the basket or not getting rebounds. I guess he uses him as muscle when we need to give some of the bigger guys a harder track to the basket.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Yes, turnovers. But it's not a huge concern. I think of how many "Non-Fouls" have contributed to the turnovers and it's only a mild adjustment. The majority of JImmer's turnovers come from dribbling into traffic, and he uses that "low-dribble" of his and then a few *SLAP* *SLAP* *SLAP* 's later he is kicking it our of bounds.



Unbiased reffing will have that as a foul at least some of the time.



Jimmer DOES need to get rid of the jump pass. And not the jump pass itself - Some of the best passes I have ever made/seen (I am primarily a slasher/scorer) come with both feet off the ground (after drawing the defense to you on the drive).



I am talking about the jump-ditch. The "raise up for a shot, realizing you are double teamed and about to get blocked" so you just throw it at someone in a jersey like yours. Those actually don't end in turnovers nearly as often as they should (which is, they should end in one every time).
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Yes, turnovers. This does look a little bit more like the Jimmer of last year than the Jimmer who clearly worked on this and had a strong assist to turnover ratio the first half of the season.

As cycles of ups and downs go, I am hoping that Jimmer is a little down right now and that come tourney time he will get back in a groove. He has to work quite hard for his points lately. Almost forcing it a bit.

Jimmer is pressing a bit - but Rose was recently interviewed and he said that the relentless pressure that Jimmer puts on a defense is what makes all of the magic work. It is why you can never let up at any time or any place for a 10th of a second on defense and why he draws double and triple teams. He does take a beating, have more misses, and make more turnovers, but the net result is that he gets twenty something points and the rest of the team is wide open frequently. If he backs off a bit - I hope he does not back off much, or defenders will go off the double teams slightly and tighten up on someone else at times.



I like that Jimmer is letting others handle the ball more which means less wear and tear on Jimmer. He gives the ball up to a teammate much more quickly after crossing mid-court.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Yes, turnovers. This does look a little bit more like the Jimmer of last year than the Jimmer who clearly worked on this and had a strong assist to turnover ratio the first half of the season.

As cycles of ups and downs go, I am hoping that Jimmer is a little down right now and that come tourney time he will get back in a groove. He has to work quite hard for his points lately. Almost forcing it a bit.

Jimmer is pressing a bit - but Rose was recently interviewed and he said that the relentless pressure that Jimmer puts on a defense is what makes all of the magic work. It is why you can never let up at any time or any place for a 10th of a second on defense and why he draws double and triple teams. He does take a beating, have more misses, and make more turnovers, but the net result is that he gets twenty something points and the rest of the team is wide open frequently. If he backs off a bit - I hope he does not back off much, or defenders will go off the double teams slightly and tighten up on someone else at times.



I like that Jimmer is letting others handle the ball more which means less wear and tear on Jimmer. He gives the ball up to a teammate much more quickly after crossing mid-court.


I'm fine with teams letting up a bit on Jimmer because the moment they do he'll drop 40 on them. Either way it's a win.



I am worried though that against SDSU, a team with much better length and defense then TCU, UNLV or AF will take advantage of those turnovers more. Agree Jimmer needs to keep pressing and keep the foot on the gas, doesn't mean though he needs to keep dribbling in the corner trying to evade three defenders. Give the ball up!
M
mizzoucoug
Thanfully SDSU tends to play Jimmer straight up. We'll see if they change their tune this week. If a guy drops 43 on you it seems intuitive that you'd want to shut him down, but we are a much more dangerous team when he gets doubled. I believe that SDSU knows this and will stick with the one-defender defense...anything else will be suicide.
B
Brayden Green
mizzoucoug wrote:
Thanfully SDSU tends to play Jimmer straight up. We'll see if they change their tune this week. If a guy drops 43 on you it seems intuitive that you'd want to shut him down, but we are a much more dangerous team when he gets doubled. I believe that SDSU knows this and will stick with the one-defender defense...anything else will be suicide.


They want Ji-mmer **CLAP** **CLAP** **CLAP CLAP CLAP**
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.