Archived Topic

QB Situation

by jonnylingo · 2/18/2011

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I want Nelson to start. Just kidding.



Our schedule in 2014 (year after Jake graduates assuming he sticks around and graduates) looks like this so far:



2014

Sep 6 @ Texas

Oct 11 @ Georgia Tech

@Utah

@BSU

@UCF



Things change, but as of now, that is not good if we don't have someone ready to go at quarterback. lark, munns, and heaps will all be gone. Who is going to be the man at that point. Kuresa will just have gotten back from his mission having already used a red shirt probably. That doesn't make me feel better. Do we have qbs on missions right now? that are coming back in the next two years? I can't remember any.
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
I want Nelson to start. Just kidding.



Our schedule in 2014 (year after Jake graduates assuming he sticks around and graduates) looks like this so far:



2014

Sep 6 @ Texas

Oct 11 @ Georgia Tech

@Utah

@BSU

@UCF



Things change, but as of now, that is not good if we don't have someone ready to go at quarterback. lark, munns, and heaps will all be gone. Who is going to be the man at that point. Kuresa will just have gotten back from his mission having already used a red shirt probably. That doesn't make me feel better. Do we have qbs on missions right now? that are coming back in the next two years? I can't remember any.


Huge problem. This will be the year we pay the price for the ambitious scheduling that is being done. Even if we recruit the next Jake Heaps this year or even if Kuresa is the next Detmer - nobody will have much experience in 2014 unless BYU does a far better job of getting backup QBs meaningful reps - ie let them throw it on 1st or 2nd down in a blowout game. All of the fans that want to see Heaps put up gaudy numbers mayneed to realize that it may be better for the team if Heaps sits out many games from mid 3rd quarter to the end.



BYU really botched this in 2009 and that is why noone was ready to go and clearly established for 2010. They botched it again in 2010 and that is why - if Jake Heaps is unavailalbe for any reason early next year - there is not much to go with for early season back-up other than Nelson. BYU needs to develop backups - yes plural - Nelson and Lark most likely for 2011 and unfortunately, they won't get many blowout games to do it until after game 6 or so. Pray for Jake to stay healthy through those tough early games - or pray that Nelson is more capable than many give him credit for being. That is the only meaningful experience at QB at BYU now. Lark hardly got to throw a pass last year.



2011 is the year for Brandon Doman to demonstrate his recruiting skills again and bring in a **** or ***** QB to redshirt during Heaps Junior Season and to play some back-up during his senior season. And if Heaps leaves early - has anyone got the details of when Lark and Munns run out of time? Nelson will have 2011 and 2012 with a medical resdshirt - then he is gone.



I wonder if Lark or Munns are praying that they get injured so they can get an extra medical redshirt year. Just kidding.



Go Jake
L
Lawboy
We will get a solid recruit for 2012 or 2013. Count on it. That Mangum kid up in Boise might be the next hot thing for us. And of course, the walk on kid from Alta who is gray shirting sounds like he has an outside shot of being good. We will get QBs, and find at least 1 to get it done. Pretty much always do.
B
BoiseBYU
Lawboy wrote:
We will get a solid recruit for 2012 or 2013. Count on it. That Mangum kid up in Boise might be the next hot thing for us. And of course, the walk on kid from Alta who is gray shirting sounds like he has an outside shot of being good. We will get QBs, and find at least 1 to get it done. Pretty much always do.

The Mangum kid has a rocket for an arm, is incredibly athletic, and has the mindset of a champion. BSU has already offered and Oregon is fawning. His brothers went to BYU and I think we have a good chance. I hope Doman can work his magic....He's a four star easily
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
We will get a solid recruit for 2012 or 2013. Count on it. That Mangum kid up in Boise might be the next hot thing for us. And of course, the walk on kid from Alta who is gray shirting sounds like he has an outside shot of being good. We will get QBs, and find at least 1 to get it done. Pretty much always do.


Is Mangum going on a mission? If so, right out or after a year. If its not right out, then he will come back in 2015 right? If its right out he comes back in lark or munns' position, not ready. I guess if he doesn't go on a mission, it would be perfect. red shirt him his freshman year and then have him as back up his freshman year, then play as sopmore.



Mangum doesn't appear to be that happy with BYU at this point. He seems to want more attention from BYU.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
:whistle: :whistle: Nothing to worry about since the end of the world is December 21, 2012. I saw it on History channel. :whistle: :whistle:
S
SpiffCoug
2014 is far away in football terms that's really not worth worrying about at this point.
B
bball
No, no. Playing Nelson is wasted reps, Lark or Munns must be played, but not Nelson. If you're looking to the future, Nelson is completely out of the picture.



And I would not say we are in a world of hurt if Heaps gets injured. Until Lark or Munns proves they are no good, I'm assuming they are extremely talented, have been in the program a couple of years, and would step in nicely.



Plus, I think we are way off the mark in assuming that BYU football success depends solely on the QB. I have much hope for the BYU defense, and much hope for the BYU running game, and some hope for the BYU special teams. BYU will not be a one dimensional team in the future.
A
AJP
bball, reread (maybe actually read jonnylingo's post for the first time) and you'll see that he's not talking about this year at all.



I'm with kitic, 2014 is just way too far away, who knows who we'll be recruiting/getting at quarterback in the next few years.
C
Cougarbib
AJP wrote:
bball, reread (maybe actually read jonnylingo's post for the first time) and you'll see that he's not talking about this year at all.



I'm with kitic, 2014 is just way too far away, who knows who we'll be recruiting/getting at quarterback in the next few years.

The last time we didn't look ahead we ended up wit four highly touted QBs with zero experience for three of them and not much more for the other one. BYU should have had Hall's successor on board with redshirt and misson behind him in 2009 as the backup and then let him play meaningful reps in 2009.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
bball wrote:
No, no. Playing Nelson is wasted reps, Lark or Munns must be played, but not Nelson. If you're looking to the future, Nelson is completely out of the picture.



And I would not say we are in a world of hurt if Heaps gets injured. Until Lark or Munns proves they are no good, I'm assuming they are extremely talented, have been in the program a couple of years, and would step in nicely.



Plus, I think we are way off the mark in assuming that BYU football success depends solely on the QB. I have much hope for the BYU defense, and much hope for the BYU running game, and some hope for the BYU special teams. BYU will not be a one dimensional team in the future.

Nelson may or may not be out of the picture. TIme will tell. He certinaly will have to earn everything he gets - just like last time.



But - a balanced offense still needs a very good QB. Name me the Top 25 team that comes to your mind that has a crappy QB. If the QB is crappy defenses will shut down the run. How did Utah look with a mediocre QB? USC? Texas? Oklahoma a year ago? Theyhave running backs. It is all about having a talented and experienced QB - even in the NFL. They need the supporting cast too - but you need the QB.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
It is all about having a talented and experienced QB - even in the NFL. They need the supporting cast too - but you need the QB.

And that's why QBs get more than their share of the blame when the team struggles and more than their share of the praise when the team succeeds.
J
jonnylingo
kitic77 wrote:
2014 is far away in football terms that's really not worth worrying about at this point.


Well, I just hope that we don't end up with a situation like we were in this past year. returned missionaries or true freshman. I guess there was Nelson, but I am not sure that I ever put him in the same category talent wise as the other three quarterbacks.



With the next few years of independence we need to make sure we have winning seasons. Nothing hurts those chances more then not being set at quarterback.
N
nuk13
Cougarbib2 wrote:
bball, reread (maybe actually read jonnylingo's post for the first time) and you'll see that he's not talking about this year at all.



I'm with kitic, 2014 is just way too far away, who knows who we'll be recruiting/getting at quarterback in the next few years.

The last time we didn't look ahead we ended up wit four highly touted QBs with zero experience for three of them and not much more for the other one. BYU should have had Hall's successor on board with redshirt and misson behind him in 2009 as the backup and then let him play meaningful reps in 2009.


I agree with you about getting qbs ready. A long time ago G. Nielson had a break thru year. While he was throwing the ball all over the field on bewildered defenses, Mark Wilson was being groomed, followed by McMohn, and Young. I hope we can get back to that kind of a pipeline again.
M
Mingjai
nuk13 wrote:
I agree with you about getting qbs ready. A long time ago G. Nielson had a break thru year. While he was throwing the ball all over the field on bewildered defenses, Mark Wilson was being groomed, followed by McMohn, and Young. I hope we can get back to that kind of a pipeline again.


I believe Wilson, McMahon, Young, and Bosco all benefited from being groomed by starting on the JV squad against the likes of JC powers Ricks, Dixie, and Snow.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
They will probably need to get a JC guy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Florwood
If Jake is as good as we hope he will be, it's very likely he'll go pro after his junior year--will have to take care of his wife and kids...so whoever QBs in 2014 will likely have a year of 2013 experience in hand.
C
CougarClaw
Cougarbib2 wrote:



2011 is the year for Brandon Doman to demonstrate his recruiting skills again and bring in a **** or ***** QB to redshirt....


I keep thinking your swearing and just self-editing on these. Then I read it again and get it.
M
Mingjai
CougarClaw wrote:



2011 is the year for Brandon Doman to demonstrate his recruiting skills again and bring in a **** or ***** QB to redshirt....


I keep thinking your swearing and just self-editing on these. Then I read it again and get it.


I've been thinking the same thing for as long as he's been typing his **** and *****. Believe me, its makes for a much more interesting read...
C
Cougarbib
CougarClaw wrote:



2011 is the year for Brandon Doman to demonstrate his recruiting skills again and bring in a **** or ***** QB to redshirt....


I keep thinking your swearing and just self-editing on these. Then I read it again and get it.

I hadn't thought of that but now see that it would give that impression.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.