Archived Topic

starting secondary

by cmurdoch3 · 2/17/2011

Advertisement
C
cmurdoch3
So who starts for us in our secondary next year? Im kind of obsessed with speed, and ... girth i guess. i like big fast people... call me crazy. I'd love so see Everett and Preston Hadley manning the corners, and maybe sorensen replacing rich. He seems like a sure tackler, and a pretty decent smart athlete. Sampson if eligible could play SS for us... that seems nice. I also like the Jordan Johnson kid... i would like to see him play some in nickle packages. I like Eason, he is good coming on corner blitzes, and closes fast. But i think there might be better options.
J
jonnylingo
I think Eason was better than Bradley last year and assume he gets one of the corner spots.



one guy you didn't mention was jray. I love his passion and think he is better than most given him credit for. I wouldn't count him out.



This will be the most exciting part of spring ball I think, seeing how the dbs do and who works their way up the debth chart. its too bad that both eason and sampson wont be a part of spring ball.
G
Guest
The secondary will have their work cut out for them when they go up against a confident Heaps. I'm excited that they'll be playing the best QB they'll face all year in their own.
J
jonnylingo
Like the new Avatar Hawk.



I was surprised to see hague move to safety as well. that make me think that they are concerned with the depth there. HOpe things work themselves out in the secondary, because if they do, it could be a great year for byu.
C
cmurdoch3
Yeah, i agree that they will be tested in spring ball. I hope you're right about Jray... and i agree that corby played well last year. I just guess i am anxious to see if sampson, hadley, johnson could be instant upgrades. it will no doubt be interesting. i would consider myself a realist, and with that said i really think this team has a chance to be special the next few years. this has potential to be the most athletic, explosive byu team i've ever seen... might be a year or 2 away for it to become that... but i love where we're going. The secondary is my biggest concern though going into the season
Advertisement
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
Like the new Avatar Hawk.


Thanks! I thought with the Utes trying to take over my hawk symbol, I needed to emphasis the Cougarness of the Hawk.
C
Cougarbib
Well - at the risk of bringing out his critics, one of the 2010 starters most of the season at Safety hasn't even been mentioned. His dad just renewed my Temple Recommend Sunday. So if Travis Uale is not a starter at Safety, then that would be an indication that we are in better shape at one safety position than we were last season. It would also indicate that we have depth at that spot.



So - let's simplify this comparison to last year. At one safety position we will either have a more experienced Travis Uale who dumped the Utes to transfer to BYU, or we will have someone better with Uale as added depth. We will therefore be as good as 2010 and probably better just due to Uale being more experienced and will be much better if someone beats Travis for the starting job.



So how do we stack up at the other three spots compared to last year - especially the other safety slot and Logan's replacement. These will be two of our biggest losses if not the two biggest losses from the entire 2010 team. So'oto is the other really big loss that comes to mind.





[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
P
pikoi
I have been told that Buckner is considered a starter at corner at the moment. He is just working to keep that status through to the Fall.
J
jonnylingo
pikoi wrote:
I have been told that Buckner is considered a starter at corner at the moment. He is just working to keep that status through to the Fall.


That wouldn't surprise me at all. If he had not gotten injured two years ago he probably would have started in front of Logan. At least that is what it was sounding like from the reports.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Corners-

Eason

Buckner

Everett??

Gaines

Johnson

R. Comer

Hadley??



Safeties-

J'Ray

Uale

Sampson(hoping)

Everett??

Hadley??

Mees

Sorensen

Hague



I think we have good depth and ability at each position, but what we lack is experience. And without experience, it is really hard to know exactly what we do have. All indications I am hearing is that Gaines and Johnson are both going to be great corners, and that a couple of the Snow transfers could play right away too, if needed. But the depth here gives some guys a chance to RS, in particular the transfers. It also helps that Everett and Hadley have the ability to play both positions, which adds to the depth. Basically, we might see a small transition in 2011, but only because some guys will have to get experience. Come 2012, this group should be really solid with depth and experience.
I
imuakahuku
Good thing is that TCU and Ole Miss will be breaking in new QB's. Ore St. will be using new WR's and TX still doesn't know what they are going to get at QB from Gilbert.

As for Utah, I have no fear of their QB Winn. He has an accuracy problem, a weak arm, and happy feet. I don't see those changing before next year's game.

Hawaii will have their QB back but all his playmakers are gone. Too bad the game is at the end of the season when they have had an entire season to break in the newbies.

That just leaves CF as the worriesome game except it is a home game and we don't usually lose these games at home.
Y
Y 4 Ever
imuakahuku wrote:
Good thing is that TCU and Ole Miss will be breaking in new QB's. Ore St. will be using new WR's and TX still doesn't know what they are going to get at QB from Gilbert.

As for Utah, I have no fear of their QB Winn. He has an accuracy problem, a weak arm, and happy feet. I don't see those changing before next year's game.

Hawaii will have their QB back but all his playmakers are gone. Too bad the game is at the end of the season when they have had an entire season to break in the newbies.

That just leaves CF as the worriesome game except it is a home game and we don't usually lose these games at home.


I have a hard time not including UT and Ole Miss as "worrisome" games. I'll be plenty worried (and excited) about those games.
B
beauso79
Don't forget OC possibly at SS and Jordan Johnson could very well start at corner for us as well. Weren't they raving about Johnson not too long ago. We'll have both Ryan and Cameron Comer vying for time in the secondary as well. It seems like we'll have a TON of athletes back there this year.
B
bigbluepuma
Isn't it great to be discussing which DBs will rise to the top, rather than wondering if we will have any DBs, like we were doing a few years ago? 8)
Advertisement
B
beauso79
bigbluepuma wrote:
Isn't it great to be discussing which DBs will rise to the top, rather than wondering if we will have any DBs, like we were doing a few years ago? 8)


One of our biggest concerns this year will be at

Defensive End. Who will step up there is a big question??



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
beauso79 wrote:
Don't forget OC possibly at SS and Jordan Johnson could very well start at corner for us as well. Weren't they raving about Johnson not too long ago. We'll have both Ryan and Cameron Comer vying for time in the secondary as well. It seems like we'll have a TON of athletes back there this year.


OC won't be playing next year. Baring something catastrophically massive, the soonest he'll be on the field is 2012.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.