Archived Topic

#1 College Recruit Going to SC Gamecocks

by Ddawg · 2/14/2011

Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Interesting - the #1 recruit in the nation (Jadeveon Clowney) just signed with in state South Carolina Gamecocks. He turned down basically everyone - including Alabama. He's a DE, 6' 6", 240 lbs. & rated @ 5 star.



It's interesting to me - because it shows the BIG Boys don't have a "lock" on talent like they use to. I like seeing the talent choose other schools. It bodes well for the Cougs - I hope - as future talented recruits look around.





http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6118985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
SpiffCoug
I'm not sure how a recruit on the other side of the country not choosing Alabama or Florida is going to help someone choose BYU instead.
W
Wickchad
We really missed on this one. I can't believe he didn't come here.
D
Ddawg
kitic77 wrote:
I'm not sure how a recruit on the other side of the country not choosing Alabama or Florida is going to help someone choose BYU instead.


Does it help BYU directly? No.



The point I was making is - it's good to see top athletic talent look around - beyond "Alabama, Texas, Oklaoma, Ohio St., etc." And, pick a school that's Top 25 (like BYU), but, not a perennial powerhouse. I like seeing top talent looking around & deciding for themselves. I think that helps BYU - in principle at least.
C
Cougarfan87
While it may help other schools in the BCS conferences outside of the five to ten favorites, I really don't think it does much for BYU. The national exposure will help BYU snag some top LDS recruits who like or were at least ambivalent towards BYU. National exposure won't do anything for top LDS athletes that do not like BYU, or for top Non-LDS athletes who are also not interested in BYU. We have a very small recruiting pool, and we seem to do fine by it. Getting a few more top LDS recruits will help.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Ha-ha. Ok - you guys are still missing the "spirit" of the point I am trying to make. One last time. Open your minds a little ......



#1. Do I think Top non-LDS talent that NEVER considered BYU, will now look at & commit to BYU. No. Not a chance.



#2. Do I think BYU will now be on the radar of Top high school athletes - that never wanted to play @ BYU - will now look @ BYU. No.



#3. My point is - it is good that top football thletes are looking beyond the "hooked up, locked up - perennial football powers" because it means - the other "good programs" (that includes BYU, TCU, Boise St., etc.) have a chance to land some of these kids that never looked beyond the top schools.



#4. Does BYU's recruiting pool change?? No - and yes. The primary athlete that BYU would recruit does not change. He is still the quality LDS & Non-LDS athlete with strong morals, integrity, and commitment to living those values. That's who BYU has always recruited & will always continue to recruit. So - how does our recruiting pool change?? Because of good quality athletes with strong morals -0 that BYU would be interested in - that do not give BYU a look. Becaue of their closed mindset.



#5. Every year BYU loses top LDS athletes to prernnial powerhouse schools. So - my point is - these are the guys - top LDS athletes that spurn BYU because they are locked into the mindset of a perennial powerhouse school to promote their chances in the NFL, the prestige, etc. These are the athletes that we want to open their eyes, take a hard look @ BYU & realize - their football goals can be achieved @ BYU just as well as @ these other schools. I think that is true.



I believe that whenever a top recruit looks around and chooses other than the "Big Boys" it helps BYU. Because we are fightinhg the same mindset & stigma that the South Carolina's, Stanford's & Michigan State's are fighting. Even though we are recruiting a different quality of athlete at the different schools.



Is that any clearer??? LOL!!!!
G
Guest
I know what you mean, Mongo!



I think BYU will continue to get good and great talent. Go Cougars!
C
CougarClaw
Wickchad84087 wrote:
We really missed on this one. I can't believe he didn't come here.


seriously. We should have offered him a better no-show job.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
I know what you mean, Mongo!



I think BYU will continue to get good and great talent. Go Cougars!

Yeah, I knew exactly what you were saying and think it was a great point. Alabama, florida, texas and SC might not have the stranglehold on top talent anymore. And some of the top talent (especially LDS talent, and maybe even some non-lds) might start looking towards BYU as it remains the most unique football school in the nation.



Independence and remaining a perennial top 25 school will help as well.
D
Ddawg
declocoug wrote:
I know what you mean, Mongo!



I think BYU will continue to get good and great talent. Go Cougars!

Yeah, I knew exactly what you were saying and think it was a great point. Alabama, florida, texas and SC might not have the stranglehold on top talent anymore. And some of the top talent (especially LDS talent, and maybe even some non-lds) might start looking towards BYU as it remains the most unique football school in the nation.



Independence and remaining a perennial top 25 school will help as well.


There ya go!! Bingo!!! Mongo knows he is illiterate & has a hard time thinking on paper, and out loud. Thinking is just hard to do!! LOL!
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
I know what you mean, Mongo!



I think BYU will continue to get good and great talent. Go Cougars!


Muey Bueno!!! Hawk-dawg comes to the rescue!!! Thx my man!!!

:lol: :lol: 8)
S
scott715
I think our recruiting pool is getting a little larger. With more exposure and some of our latest recruits, that we have more non LDS good moral kids in the pool. The hard part is finding them. Maybe they will start finding us. Bronco has said that they will start recruiting Christain schools more. That is a start in expanding the pool.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.