Archived Topic

If Dave Rice goes to WHY-loaming....

by CougarClaw · 2/9/2011

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Rice is in charge of coordinating recruiting and BYU's offense. How does this hurt us if we lose him?



My initial thought is BYU has done amazing on both the recruiting AND the offensive fronts (top 5 NCAA anyone?). As much as we love and support DR, Some of this amazing success has to be attributed to Senor Rice and I have to think that he's going to be plucked this year. Probably not by Wyoming, but this guy helped bring THE JIMMER to Provo and he's managing a top 10 offense on a top 10 team. If I'm Rice, this is the year to cash in.



So what do we lose and who do you think we replace him with? Might I suggest a Polynesian so we don't offend the island pipeline? ;)
S
stuckinbig10country
CougarClaw wrote:
So what do we lose and who do you think we replace him with? Might I suggest a Polynesian so we don't offend the island pipeline? ;)


Hahahahahahahahahaha!!



Well, I don't have a Polynesian to suggest, but something maybe a little more crazy. I have no way of knowing if this person wants to coach, or if he'd be any good at it. How about Thurl Bailey? He's a national champion. He's a personable guy. He's LDS. He's African-American. He's a convert to the church who would be able to possibly bridge the gap between some non-LDS recruits (such as Tyrone Corbin's son) but still be intimately familiar with the church.
S
scott715
How about a pay raise to stay. We will have more revenue next year and you can not beat being at the Y even as an assistant. If he leaves maybe Schroyer will come back from Wyoming. I think he learned his lesson in leaving.
S
stuckinbig10country
scott715 wrote:
How about a pay raise to stay. We will have more revenue next year and you can not beat being at the Y even as an assistant. If he leaves maybe Schroyer will come back from Wyoming. I think he learned his lesson in leaving.


Schroyer was actually fairly successful as the head coach at Portland State.



For Rice it's not about the money right now. He wants to be a head coach. And he'll be a very good head coach. I don't see him going to a MWC school, but probably a smaller school first.



I wonder if Rose left, would BYU hire Rice as the head coach, even though he's not LDS. He wouldn't be the first head coach at BYU that wasn't LDS, but would be the first in one of the bigger sports (Football, men's and women's basketball).
S
SpiffCoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:
How about a pay raise to stay. We will have more revenue next year and you can not beat being at the Y even as an assistant. If he leaves maybe Schroyer will come back from Wyoming. I think he learned his lesson in leaving.


Schroyer was actually fairly successful as the head coach at Portland State.



For Rice it's not about the money right now. He wants to be a head coach. And he'll be a very good head coach. I don't see him going to a MWC school, but probably a smaller school first.



I wonder if Rose left, would BYU hire Rice as the head coach, even though he's not LDS. He wouldn't be the first head coach at BYU that wasn't LDS, but would be the first in one of the bigger sports (Football, men's and women's basketball).

You sure about that first sentence. I'm not sure a 35-47 record with only one winning season fairly successful. He was 5-22, 11-16 and 19-9 in three years. He was 12-18, 19=14 and 10-21 before this year at Wyoming. Two winning seasons in six years isn't all that great.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
stuckinbig10country wrote:
He wants to be a head coach. And he'll be a very good head coach. I don't see him going to a MWC school, but probably a smaller school first.


Why not stay in the MWC? He knows the opponents, he knows the arenas, but more importantly, he knows how to recruit here. What's not to like (Other than LAraMiE?)
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
So what do we lose and who do you think we replace him with? Might I suggest a Polynesian so we don't offend the island pipeline? ;)


Hahahahahahahahahaha!!



Well, I don't have a Polynesian to suggest, but something maybe a little more crazy. I have no way of knowing if this person wants to coach, or if he'd be any good at it. How about Thurl Bailey? He's a national champion. He's a personable guy. He's LDS. He's African-American. He's a convert to the church who would be able to possibly bridge the gap between some non-LDS recruits (such as Tyrone Corbin's son) but still be intimately familiar with the church.

This idea has legs. Not to start the whole racial profiling thing all over again - but name all of the all-time grat Polynesian basketball players at BYU, elsewhere, or the NBA. Ok - that was easy. Now name the African American ones. Ok. Might be good to have Thurl Bailey if (1) he wants to coach, (2) can coach, and (3) we can afford him, and (4) he wants to live in Provo. This mgiht just come down to affordability. But like someone else said - maybe we ought to pay Rice a little more and try to keep him.



We should not hire someone because of skin color per se - but it can be a very, very, good predictor of success at certain things.



One other note - I am really glad someone got the Jimmer to come to BYU - but shocking as it is now - Jimmer only had two offers. BYU and Siena. Was it that hard to get him here? But give someone credit for findng him and taking a chance on someone who was too small, too slow, not athletic enough and too white. i.e. skin color is not a fooproof predictor of success.
B
BYULV
Maybe Utah comes knocking? Could he bring some class to that bunch on the hill? Nah, I'm joking, no one has that kind of power . . . Except maybe . . . The Jimmer. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Maybe Utah comes knocking? Could he bring some class to that bunch on the hill? Nah, I'm joking, no one has that kind of power . . . Except maybe . . . The Jimmer. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

That would be a much better opportunity than Wyoming - that is for sure and Utah has a trac record for doing well with former BYU coaches and players. But after how BYU played at Wyoming, I worry that Rose may be too sympathetic to former associates when game planning.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
Wasn't Mekeli Wesley a decent player off the bench ? ;)





Rashaun Broadus and a couple others that are not known.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
He wont' go to wyoming. he is not that desperate nor crazy. wyoming wishes.
C
CougarClaw
Well, if Rice goes to Why-Loathing, perhaps we could pick up Jerry Sloan, he follows Jimmer...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.