Archived Topic

Vai's Blog Part II

by CougarPeasant · 2/9/2011

Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/76/10011380/Vais-View-BYU-coaching-changes-Part-II.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Vai knows he opened up a hornet's nest with last week's blog. This week he tones it down, but still insists he's right. This even after acknowledging that on paper, DuPaix is the better hire.



I have already pointed out that BYU only has 4 Hawaiin players on scholarship, the last being Rowley. BYU's success in recruiting the Kahuku pipeline has been mixed at best, and down right pathetic in recent history. If getting the pipeline flowing again, then Bronco should have hired Mark. If getting the team in a position to compete nationally as an independent program and win ball games is more important, then DuPaix is the better hire. And Bronco will live with the decision. If it is the wrong one, he'll correct it as we've seen him do in the past.



Mark is still young and will get an opportunity to coach football and even return to BYU. Very rarely does a coach get to start at the top, which is what Vai wants for Mark. Starting on the staff as a paid coach at BYU for his first coaching job would be a dream come true and something that rarely ever happens. Most coaches go to a lesser program and move up the ranks before getting a shot to be a position coach at a top 25 FBS program. Mark just hasn't paid his dues like DuPaix has.



One day I hope to see Mark back at BYU coaching. In the mean while, DuPaix is the man and as a BYU fan, I want him to succeed.
G
Guest
Well said, Peasant. I agree with your analysis here. Mark will have chances to coach, if he's willing to go some place like Snow or SUU and work his way up, then he could be a great get for BYU in 5 or 8 years.
B
BoiseBYU
Sort of a mea culpa without the mea....A poorly written and rambling effort. I really liked his 8 part posting on his times at BYU and on his mission. And I don't mind his expressing his views of the DuPaix hiring. I may disagree with the premise but I think I understand where he is coming from....But this current effort does not pass go, does not collect $200, and needs to go directly to jail
C
cscoug
Maybe I missed something you guys didn't, but Via was talking about Atuiua being overlooked with the Cahoon hiring, not DuPaix's. He wondered why Cahoon didn't become a GA while Atuiua became an assistant. Via repeatedly admits DuPaix was more qualified.
U
urroner
cscoug wrote:
Maybe I missed something you guys didn't, but Via was talking about Atuiua being overlooked with the Cahoon hiring, not DuPaix's. He wondered why Cahoon didn't become a GA while Atuiua became an assistant. Via repeatedly admits DuPaix was more qualified.


What does "GA" mean?
  • General Authority?

    Member of Girls Aloud?

    Member of Gamblers Anonymous

    Great and Abominable

    General of The Army
Advertisement
C
cscoug
I'm sure this was tongue in cheek, but I will still bite.



GA = graduate assistant
S
snoscythe
cscoug wrote:
Maybe I missed something you guys didn't, but Via was talking about Atuiua being overlooked with the Cahoon hiring, not DuPaix's. He wondered why Cahoon didn't become a GA while Atuiua became an assistant. Via repeatedly admits DuPaix was more qualified.


Now that Vai has noticed that he has both spinach AND his foot in his mouth, he is backpedaling like crazy.



The Cahoon thing is simply laughable. What Vai is now saying is that BYU should have put Dupaix coaching WRs and let Atuaia coach RBs. Does that make sense to anyone? Does that make our staff any better anyway you spin it? What do you think helps our team win more--Dupaix coaching WRs and Atuaia taking the RBs, or Dupaix over the RBs and Cahoon over the WRs? I don't think there is even a sensical argument to make that doesn't involve back-patting and bonus consideration of polynesian heritage. Even if Vai now want to draw his line in the sand with Cahoon/Atuaia, it fails. Cahoon with his lack of coaching experience is nevertheless much more qualified to be a WR coach than Atuaia is with his years of part-time volunteer work with RBs.



Vai came across as a "culturalist" (read: "bigot") in his first blog, and he is trying to save face without admitting his own prejudice here, but he's making completely different assertions, and his positions in this article are so contradictory that it is laughable.



Here's a summary of what Vai says in his latest entry:



1) I think I'm a really good writer



2) I like Mark and have a vested interest, but I have white and black friends I have helped out too (As if this changes the fact that his first blog was about how Atuaia's race should have netted him the job)



3) Even though I spend my entire first column talking about race and how it should have gotten Mark the job, now I will state that Mark earned it because he is a COUGAR (as if Ben Cahoon isn't a COUGAR? Give Mark the job because Ben Cahoon had the misfortune of playing his position well enough to have one of the most successful pro careers among BYU grads instead of going back to Provo to get a graduate degree and volunteering?)



4) Race should totally be considered, but only as a bonus for minorities AFTER everything else has been considered. (Read as--"tie-breakers or close calls should go to minorities"--once again he is (a) being racist, and (b) ignoring the fact that even a decision between Cahoon and Atuaia would not have been close. No matter where in the though process race comes into play--beginning, middle, or end (as Vai proposes), you're still making a decision on the basis of race.)



5) Atuaia would've been HUGE is recruiting the islands (but he doesn't bother to note that polynesian recruiting went downhill under Anae and Atuaia the past 5 years.)



6) Andy Reid promoted a minority who has been an NFL coach for almost 20 years to be DC even though he hasn't coach defense in the league before. Therefore, Bronco should have turned down better qualified individuals to give Mark the RBs job. (This completely ignores the fact that Bronco and Reid have each worked with Mark and Jose, respectively, for years and are probably keenly aware of their capabilities. I doubt Andy Reid's thought process was "Jose has been working for me for years, so I probably should reward him with a promotion, plus, he's Mexican. Well, we DO have an opening for a DC." I would put money on the thought process being "We need a DC. Jose has always been impressive in film sessions in breaking down defenses and pointing out what they could or should do given our myriad defensive alignments. He's a sharp guy and I bet he could get the job done as well as anyone else available." Likewise, I think Bronco's decision was guided by familiarity with Atuaia's performance and his potential. I'm glad he didn't limit his decision to the criteria of "who has worked hard?" and "who is not white?")



7) I'm not a bigot, and I don't think Bronco is either (Even though I have now twice expressly lobbied for a polynesian to get added consideration on the basis of race, and despite all my insinuation earlier that Bronco had racist spinach in his teeth.)



8) Mark really wants to be a coach and other lawyers have been coaches too! (?? Ben Cahoon really wants to be a coach, and other former players have been coaches too. Again, Vai trying to play a non-sequitor sympathy card.



9) Bronco's not infalliable. (Once again, a non-sequitor. We know that Vai---didn't Bronco just spend the last half of this season correcting a mistake in the Jaime Hill to DC promotion? The issue you have made here isn't whether Bronco made a mistake or not, the issue you created was whether or not Bronco was a racist for not giving a handout to Mark because he is a minority.



10) I still love BYU.



Anyone who read both blogs will realize that Vai is simply backpedaling and trying to take the spinach out of his own teeth.
Y
Y12
Maybe what we should read into this is: "The DesNews Editor told me to write a blog about this and take the position that I took."



We all know that this happens in the media. They try to fairly represent all sides of an arguement, and each person has to deal with the card he is dealt.



Now in part 2, he is saying, "The DesNews Editor realizes it was a mistake, so this is an attempt to patch things up without offending the audience we aimed to please in the first place."



I am almost certain Bronco is not paying this any attention. He and his assistants are quietly preparing to prove themselves this fall.



As for the general diversity issue, I wrote more about it on my blog as part of a general assessment of the entire 2011 coaching staff/hiring process.



http://bluecougarfootball.blogspot.com/2011/02/brigham-young-cougars-2011-coaching.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
CougarClaw
good analysis sno.



now I don't have to read either blog... :P
G
Gordo
Sno, considering Dupaix has never played or coached RBs, I don't think having him as the receivers coach with cahoon as his GA and Atuaia as the RBs coach would be any worse.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Gordo wrote:
Sno, considering Dupaix has never played or coached RBs, I don't think having him as the receivers coach with cahoon as his GA and Atuaia as the RBs coach would be any worse.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, you're right. Oh, wait. Dupaix has coached an entire offense before. He would have been more qualified than Robert Anae was to be the offensive coordinator 6 years ago.



Also, if you've ever watched Skyline High School play, the QB is mostly a glorified running back.



No one on this board is saying that Mark Atuaia would have been a bad choice. Had Dupaix not applied it very well could have been Atuaia's job. But when you have a receiver running wide open for an 80 yard touchdown, you don't settle for the swing pass out of the backfield. Sure, they could both end up going 80 yards, but one is more likely than the other.
S
snoscythe
Gordo-



Dupaix was the slotbacks coach at Navy--that included the runningbacks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Desnews article on Jan. 15, 2011 revealed that, under DuPaix's tutelage in 2008, Navy slotback Shun White became the first slotback in school history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. The RB gained 1,092 yards and ranks 10th all-time in school history.



His experience with Cal Poly Mustangs as OC:



2007 -



First nationally in total offense (487.1 yards per contest).

Sixth in the country in scoring offense (39.3 points per game).

Fifth in rushing offense (272.2 yards per game).

48th in passing offense (214.9 yards per game).



2006 -



No. 23 in rushing offense (182.82 yards per game)



2005 -



20th in rushing offense (207.38 yards per game).
G
Gordo
Stuck, good point about him being the OC. And yes, I've seen skyline play--i played with Joey there back in the day.



Sno, sorry was thinking he was the inside receivers coach at Navy, so also good point.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Mark can still be a GA can't he? Does some local boaster need a lawyer on staff? I think Mark will be considered when Reynolds retires in a few years.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
scott715 wrote:
I think Mark will be considered when Reynolds retires in a few years.


I like this idea alot
C
Cougarbib
Both blogs were well written. I would not have hired Atuaia at this point. iirc, he is still a student and this is a full-time job. He lacks experience. BYU already has taken on too much inexperience to take on more. Hopefully it will work out for Mark later.



If you are looking to understand instead of argue - Vai provided some useful insights. I have often said I am not an expert in Polynesia - but am learning. YOu have heard some people post that Kaufusie will not get it done in Hawaii. Reading this blog - I we now know Atuaia is Samoan. I posted previously that Tongans and Samoans are not always fond of each other. That is how two are better than one to cover the Pipeline.



But BYU can add diversity in other hires. It does not have to be the football coach. Polynesians have ben an enormous factor in BYU success over the years and will continue to be. Vai and others have provided insights to help BYU maximize its yield.



Quite frankly, we are in far better shape for future recruiting of Polynesians than we are with African Americans. Hiring a token African American coach definitely won't solve that problem. We need more African American members of the Church to solve that problem. The Church is working on that. It will take time.
Y
Y12
RE: Mark Atuaia has paid his dues, like the new D-Coordinator Andy Reid promoted from the offensive side of the ball, and Bronco should have rewarded Atuaia by taking this risk.



1-I don't know how much Bronco believes in "paying your dues." He paid his at Oregon State as a player, Graduate Assistant, and later as an assistant coach. When current Oregon State head coach Mike Rielly came in he didn't keep Bronco on staff, regardless of the dues Bronco had paid, he was out of a job.



2-I don't know Higgins' background enough to know how much wide receiver experience he had, but he could not get the job done. Either A) Bronco thinks he took a risk already and it didn't work, or B) Bronco knows this is not the time to be taking risks at that position. Moving to independence with the abundance of talent at that position and at QB, while the TE position needs time to mature, BYU can't afford to have someone who hasn't proven himself as or with receivers before.



As I have said before, let's think outside the box a little with Mark. He is a STAR in Hawaii. He could probably do more good for BYU and the Poly pipeline by taking his law degee back to Hawaii, getting a great job to support his family, and be BYU's #1 booster/high profile grad.



Vai sure tooted his own horn in this blog about what he has been able to do from the peripheral. Why doesn't he mentor Mark to do the same?
C
crh55
My favorite part of that read was how many times Via tooted his own horn, and referenced how talented he is, his clout in the media, how important his opinion is. Last time i checked he does local Philly radio and works for comcast. He's talking like he is Herbstreit on ESPN game-day. His Ego is about as big as Jimmer's half court shot against the frUtes.
G
Gordo
crh55 wrote:
My favorite part of that read was how many times Via tooted his own horn, and referenced how talented he is, his clout in the media, how important his opinion is. Last time i checked he does local Philly radio and works for comcast. He's talking like he is Herbstreit on ESPN game-day. His Ego is about as big as Jimmer's half court shot against the frUtes.


When did you check? He's the NBC sports director/anchor in Philly--a huge market. He's on all the time and a pretty big local celeb here. He was also the first Tongan to make to the NFL.



Also fans demonizing him for writing an honest--and not that critical--article on BYU probably doesn't help recruiting any.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.