Archived Topic

BYU Chances of Undefeated Season in 2011

by jonnylingo · 2/8/2011

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I think the chance is about 30 percent. We are catching texas, ole miss and osu in down years. Utah is rebuilding in many ways as well.



The two games I worry most about funny enough are ucf at home and hawaii away. I think we have a short week to prepare for ucf and they are good. Hawaii is always hard at Hawaii.



I think we beat ole miss and have a good shot at texas. utah we have the edge. We should beat ucf at home and osu we should beat as well if we play well. the rest are patsies.



I think we win 10 games next year with a chance of going undefeated. Most likely losses are texas/ucf/hawaii in my opinion.



I hope I am not getting ahead of myself. I hope they don't make a ton of changes offensively or that all the changes result in a learning curve. it is probably realistic to expect that. That said our running game should be just as strong if not stronger than last year to rely on and our defense should be better if the secondary can get it together.



biggest concern is obviously our secondary.
L
Lawboy
I am not worried about UCF at home. They are good, but it is in Provo.



Iam most worried about at Ole Miss and at Texas, because we do not do well on the road, in particular vs. teams in the southeast. Our record on the road at SEC venues and ACC venues is not good at all. I think we can handle Oregon state, Utah and UCF. But those first 2 games have we worried.
C
CougarPeasant
I don't give us much chance of going undefeated. Although the team will do better this season over last season, they have some issues that still concern me. How much of an impact will Cahoon have on the receivers during the first 4 games. Will the offensive line be more assertive this season? When the team needs 1 yard, they didn't always get it. How will Dupaix manage the RBs? Who replaces Rich as the field general on defense?



Inquiring minds want to know.
C
CAFB_04-12
I think the chances are somewhere between slim and none. But it's going to be an awesome season regardless!
W
Wickchad
I give us a 1% chance of going undefeated. BYU has played football for over 100 years and has had 1 undefeated season. Therefore: 1% chance on average of going undefeated.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
All you have to do is take how many season's BYU has played football and How many season's BYU has gone undefeated and divide them together and you will have your percentage/odds of BYU going undefeated.
J
jonnylingo
I will be curious to see how the offense is clicking in game one. Ole Miss lost a lot on the defensive side of the ball I believe. If our offense comes out disciplined and on point I think we win that game despite the playing at ole miss.



texas is another story. that game is one i think we drop if i had to pick. but still we have a good shot at beating them.
8
88Coug
As noted by others, there are 3 tough road games and two potential pitfalls at home. Texas is a mess, as is Miss, but both are at least reasonable chances for Cougar wins. UCF has a tough defense, but I am pretty sure BYU can handle that at home. BYU should have defeated Utah this season and should handle the Utes next season. Hawaii is always a trap on the island, especially for BYU.



Given the improvements on offense and defense as shown over the second half of the season, I suspect at least 10 wins.



While there is potential for an undefeated season, I put the chance at no more than 5%, with a 20% chance at a 11-1 season, and a 40% chance at a 10-2 season.
L
Lawboy
Depending on how things break elsewhere, we could get BCS at 11-1. Especially if the sole loss is at Texas and they win the Big 12. Obviously, things must fall right, but that is what great seasons are about--being very good and getting lucky at the big moments.
J
jonnylingo
I agree with lawboy. 11-1 a a bcs bowl is a real possibility, especially if tcu or boise state slip up this year. one of them will have to have one loss and both will likely have more than one loss I would think.



Given our schedule, if we lose just one game, I suspect we will be highly ranked by years end. It wont hurt either that if we only have one loss it probably comes earlier in the year either while bsu and/or tcu's losses to each other will come later in the year i believe. Hopefully bsu loses right off the bat to georgia then beats tcu later on.



I sure hope we come out strong and win at Ole Miss. That was one strength about Anae. His steady, yet unflexible hand, usually favored disciplined play earlier in the season which gave us an edge in early games. Being 1-0 will set us up well even if we lose to Texas as long as we can take care of Utah.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Chance of going undefeated in 2011? 100%! And I'll stick by that statistic until proven wrong by a loss.
Y
YBrit
I think BYUs road schedule is as tough as any. Old (I don't respect them) Miss and Texas will be beatable but it's still going to be tough, BYU got thrashed against a bad FSU team in 09, that speed will be ever present in the south, and Texas has good athletes too. At Hawaii will be difficult I think as well. If BYU does go undefeated to that point, Hawaii would be a huge huge trap game (remember 2001).



Will BYU go undefeated? I hope so. Will BYU win 10+ games and not have a 2010 year? YES.
S
SpiffCoug
I put our chances at 50-50. Since there are really only two choices, either 1) we go undefeated or 2) we don't.
R
redneckjedi
If only Engineer85 were still around to give us the formula... ;)
Y
Y12
UCF is the game I worry about the most--MAJOR TRAP GAME, if we are 4-0.



--Right after Utah

--UCF was 11-3 last year

--Tough not to get cocky, like in 2009 when FSU came to town



Hawaii is trouble, too, especially if we are undefeated still. Hawaii was good last year (only team to beat Nevada). They love to ambush us on the islands (1989, 1990, 2001). It will be an even trickier game if we add the TCU game.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Y12 wrote:
UCF is the game I worry about the most--MAJOR TRAP GAME, if we are 4-0.



--Right after Utah

--UCF was 11-3 last year

--Tough not to get cocky, like in 2009 when FSU came to town



Hawaii is trouble, too, especially if we are undefeated still. Hawaii was good last year (only team to beat Nevada). They love to ambush us on the islands (1989, 1990, 2001). It will be an even trickier game if we add the TCU game.

I refuse to acknowledge any home game next year as a "trap" game.
Y
Y12
kitic77 wrote:
UCF is the game I worry about the most--MAJOR TRAP GAME, if we are 4-0.



--Right after Utah

--UCF was 11-3 last year

--Tough not to get cocky, like in 2009 when FSU came to town



Hawaii is trouble, too, especially if we are undefeated still. Hawaii was good last year (only team to beat Nevada). They love to ambush us on the islands (1989, 1990, 2001). It will be an even trickier game if we add the TCU game.

I refuse to acknowledge any home game next year as a "trap" game.


Whatever you acknowledge the 2009 FSU game as, put the UCF game in that same category.
S
SpiffCoug
Y12 wrote:
Y12 wrote:
UCF is the game I worry about the most--MAJOR TRAP GAME, if we are 4-0.



--Right after Utah

--UCF was 11-3 last year

--Tough not to get cocky, like in 2009 when FSU came to town



Hawaii is trouble, too, especially if we are undefeated still. Hawaii was good last year (only team to beat Nevada). They love to ambush us on the islands (1989, 1990, 2001). It will be an even trickier game if we add the TCU game.

I refuse to acknowledge any home game next year as a "trap" game.


Whatever you acknowledge the 2009 FSU game as, put the UCF game in that same category.

Good point. It's a trap game.
J
jonnylingo
Y12 wrote:
Y12 wrote:
UCF is the game I worry about the most--MAJOR TRAP GAME, if we are 4-0.



--Right after Utah

--UCF was 11-3 last year

--Tough not to get cocky, like in 2009 when FSU came to town



Hawaii is trouble, too, especially if we are undefeated still. Hawaii was good last year (only team to beat Nevada). They love to ambush us on the islands (1989, 1990, 2001). It will be an even trickier game if we add the TCU game.

I refuse to acknowledge any home game next year as a "trap" game.


Whatever you acknowledge the 2009 FSU game as, put the UCF game in that same category.


I agree. We also have a shortened week to get ready for them. But that probably cuts both ways given they have a shortened week as well. Looks like that is a friday night game. I watched their bowl game. they have a great linebacker and their qb will only be better. i imagine it ends up being quite a game with a lot of national hype if both teams are undefeated by then. UCF at that point is probably ranked ahead if they are undefeated (the only semi decent team they play it looks like is boston college) because they will start ranked. we wont.
J
johnoutsider
Chance of Winning:

65% Ole Miss

50% Texas

70% Utah

65% UCF

90% Utah State

95% San Jose State

60% Oregon State

95% Idaho State

50% TCU

95% Idaho

95% New Mexico State

65% Hawaii

Multiply them together... and you have 2.1% chance.



Increase the odds in a ridiculous manner:

85% Ole Miss

70% Texas

85% Utah

85% UCF

99% Utah State

99% San Jose State

85% Oregon State

99% Idaho State

70% TCU

99% Idaho

99% New Mexico State

85% Hawaii

Multiply them together... and you have 20.6% chance.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.