Archived Topic

2012 Recruit: Vince Biegel - tough get??

by beauso79 · 2/8/2011

Advertisement
B
beauso79
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/51213024-65/story.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=5181353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Sounds like Biegel has some big time offers and he's going to be a tough get as he favors Wisconsin right now. He's LDS and doesn't plan on a mission.



We HAVE to get top LDS recruits Troy Hinds, Davonte' Neal, and Vince Biegel next year. Sounds like Atamu Ah Ching could be a big get as well
L
Lawboy
I think we need to get those kids as well.



Just want to point out that the state of Utah had more D-1 recruits than Wisconsin in 2011, yet Wisconsin recruits got rated higher. Why? Riddle me that.
J
jonnylingo
Maybe because byu sticks to picking up people in utah more so then other schools given their limited recruiting pool. they are more willing to take changes on guys that in other states would get overlooked. at least to some degree anyway. we also have three d1 schools with a relatively small population.
L
Lawboy
Well, if the Wisconsin kids were great, they could have gone to play for schools in the MAC, or C-USA, which are like the WAC. But they didn't. Wisconsin has a larger population base than us too. BYU used to get few Utah kids, and now both BYU and Utah recruit this state heavily because the ability is there. And so do the PAC-12 schools and Nebraska. Geeze, we had more than Colorado and New York as welll. But the recruiting services still do not elevate Utah recruits. It is lame and that is my point.
I
imuakahuku
A lot of my classmates as well as other "islanders" now call Utah home. I actually hope to call it home within the next 3 or 4 years.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Rocky Biegel was awesome. If his son is anything like him, it would be nice to get him. If not, meh. Someone else will step up.
T
trueblue72
Well, if he comes to the Y I hope he ends up playing like his dad. But, if he decides to go to Wisconsin or some other school, I hope he plays like his uncle T.D.. A lot of hype but not too much as far as production. But in all seriousness. Everyone says that we have to get all these LDS kids to come to the Y, and we need them to come. But remember people they have the ability to choose. It drove me nuts watching the Harvey Langi saga unfold. Because talk radio was ripping BYU cause they didn't get "one of their own kids" an LDS kid in their own back yard got away when Sua'filo went to UCLA. I just think we need to break this mentality that if we don't get this top LDS kids then we are up a creek without a paddle. Look at the 2006-2009 years we did very well and didn't always have all of the top LDS recruits. We had a lot of guys that weren't even rated. I don't really know why I went off on that but I had to get it off of my chest. Anyway go Cougs! Kill Air Force
C
Cougarfan87
trueblue72 wrote:
Well, if he comes to the Y I hope he ends up playing like his dad. But, if he decides to go to Wisconsin or some other school, I hope he plays like his uncle T.D.. A lot of hype but not too much as far as production. But in all seriousness. Everyone says that we have to get all these LDS kids to come to the Y, and we need them to come. But remember people they have the ability to choose. It drove me nuts watching the Harvey Langi saga unfold. Because talk radio was ripping BYU cause they didn't get "one of their own kids" an LDS kid in their own back yard got away when Sua'filo went to UCLA. I just think we need to break this mentality that if we don't get this top LDS kids then we are up a creek without a paddle. Look at the 2006-2009 years we did very well and didn't always have all of the top LDS recruits. We had a lot of guys that weren't even rated. I don't really know why I went off on that but I had to get it off of my chest. Anyway go Cougs! Kill Air Force




You probably "went off on that" to make the point that just because a kid is LDS doesn't make him BYU's to lose. Not every LDS kid likes or wants to play for BYU. I know, I know. Blasphemy. So if a kid is LDS, all it means is he MAY not thumb his nose at the honor code. It puts him in our small pool of POSSIBILITIES. It does not necessarily mean he wants to play for BYU, and if he goes somewhere else, it doesn't mean our recruiters screwed up. Some LDS kids just don't like BYU...they should...but they don't. Poor misguided souls. :D
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.