Archived Topic

The best part of Laramie? leaving...

by craigoscarson · 2/3/2011

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
If we had played even a half decent team, we lose tonight.. none of our boys but Charles acted like they wanted this one.



Either Jimmer is sick or bored; neither is a good thing.



We can't gamble with good leads in the 2nd half; squandered 13 points at UNM and 10 at Wyo.
G
Gunk
That was close.



Davies showed up today too. Love that Abouo is getting more PT and taking advantage of it.



Come March, our big three could be Jimmer, Davies and Abouo.
C
CougarClaw
Abouo was key to this game since it seemed like half our points came on easy TO baskets. Our halfcourt offense was simply abysmal tonight and that comes straight from Jimmer having his first off-night in a while. Too bad there was a Portland scout in the building.



Abuou hit some shots tonight - a TRUE rarity. but his defense is why he gets minutes from us at all.
S
SpiffCoug
If we had played a half-way decent team we would have actually shown up. This was a good time to play Wyoming. We'd just played a huge road game at CSU, a HUGE home game vs SDSU and Huge road game vs New Mexico. Our guys needed a mental break. Thankfully, Wyoming is a bad enough team that we could still win without really showing up.
C
CougarClaw
oh. and leaving IS the best part. YOu can leave the -35 degree temperatures of Laramie for the balmy 9 degrees in Provo!
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
I was impressed with Rogers, but he was gone and Magnuss got a lot of PT.
S
snoscythe
I think Jimmer injured his left shoulder against SDSU. He's been holding it funny the last two games.
B
BigCougsFan
CougarClaw wrote:
oh. and leaving IS the best part. YOu can leave the -35 degree temperatures of Laramie for the balmy 9 degrees in Provo!


You forgot to mention the notorious constant wind in Laramie!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
I thought that Jimmer and Davies played heroically, sealing the win at the end. Jimmer especially was being hacked to pieces, and should have been at the FT line all game. I agree that Abuou was a stud, and deserves recognition for a good game, including that last assist. It was good to see Rogers and Emery contributing more with the scoring. It's always good to get out of Laramie with a win. Even though the Cowboys played out of their minds, we still won.



Back to Jimmer: I disagree that he was taking the game off. It seemed to me that he was being guarded more closely and more physically than ever before. I know, his three point percentage was down, but I don't think that his effort was.



The Wyoming game plan apparently was to rough BYU up, and see if they could get away with it. I thought it was telling that three Cowboys had four fouls each, relatively early in the second half, and then continued the rough play with no more fouls. This may be what we should expect to see, and our team should expect to experience, for the remainder of BYU's conference games, especially when on the road. The conference won't want to give out any more Jimmer POW's. Please excuse me if this seems painfully obvious--just sayin.'
C
Cougs_Rule
BOID wrote:
I thought that Jimmer and Davies played heroically, sealing the win at the end. Jimmer especially was being hacked to pieces, and should have been at the FT line all game. I agree that Abuou was a stud, and deserves recognition for a good game, including that last assist. It was good to see Rogers and Emery contributing more with the scoring. It's always good to get out of Laramie with a win. Even though the Cowboys played out of their minds, we still won.



Back to Jimmer: I disagree that he was taking the game off. It seemed to me that he was being guarded more closely and more physically than ever before. I know, his three point percentage was down, but I don't think that his effort was.



The Wyoming game plan apparently was to rough BYU up, and see if they could get away with it. I thought it was telling that three Cowboys had four fouls each, relatively early in the second half, and then continued the rough play with no more fouls. This may be what we should expect to see, and our team should expect to experience, for the remainder of BYU's conference games, especially when on the road. The conference won't want to give out any more Jimmer POW's. Please excuse me if this seems painfully obvious--just sayin.'


I think youre right on several fronts.

I think Jimmer is a little banged up (Sno's theory). He also lacks faith in several of his teammates. And I think he is tired. He's been on one wild ride.

I also thought Wyo was trying to rough up Jimmer and the team, but they aimed to disrupt Jimmer and force him to go inside and force the refs at home in wyo to call fouls.

I think the better conditioned and strong athletes are surviving better during this grind: Fredette, Abouo, Davies and sort of Jax. Skinny guys have faded as Hartsock and KC.

By the way, did anyone notice that Jax was walking around like he just left the weight room, arms sort of perched outwards and rounded. I just wonder if he's been hitting the weightroom and his touch is adversely effected.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
I'm just curious, is the gym Davies played in in high school better or worse than that court in WY? Looked to me like they were playing on a high school court.
B
BYULV
imuakahuku wrote:
I'm just curious, is the gym Davies played in in high school better or worse than that court in WY? Looked to me like they were playing on a high school court.


Not sure, but I can tell you the gym he played in during HS is literally right across the-street from BYU . . . At least that's what I hear every time I listen to the Mtn broadcasters during a game. I usually bet my wife or friends on how long it will take them to mention that little bit of info. Maybe we should include this into the prediction game, "at what time during the broadcast do the commentators mention that Provo HS is literally across the street from BYU?". ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
imuakahuku wrote:
I'm just curious, is the gym Davies played in in high school better or worse than that court in WY? Looked to me like they were playing on a high school court.


I said the very same thing to my wife during the game: "Looks like a high school court!"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
BOID wrote:
I'm just curious, is the gym Davies played in in high school better or worse than that court in WY? Looked to me like they were playing on a high school court.


I said the very same thing to my wife during the game: "Looks like a high school court!"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Get used to it because all but two of the gyms we'll be playing in next season as part of the WCC will look like that.
L
Lawboy
Wyoming's arena is a palace in comparison to gyms BYU plays in next year in the WCC. To make things fair, BYU ought to go play a few games in the Smith Field House, because that is the comparison.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I wonder if some of our younger players may actually play better on the road next year in the WCC than they do in the MWC. The reason being the arenas are more like they played in high school.
G
Gunk
kitic77 wrote:
I wonder if some of our younger players may actually play better on the road next year in the WCC than they do in the MWC. The reason being the arenas are more like they played in high school.


Certainly a different mentality. Rather than having 10,000 people yelling at you there will only be 2000.



On the other hand, imagine the shell shock our opponents will have when they show up to the Marriott Center.



I worry that we'll have a harder time selling out the Marriott Center with the likes of UC Santa Clara showing up. Sure we'll sell out the place when St. Mary's or Gonzaga roll into town, but I worry about the others.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm not referring to the number of fans, I'm referring more to sight lines and what not.
B
billbillbillbill
What I am interested in is if the local BYU fans will be able to pack the west coast gyms like we have done in Vegas for Football.
S
SpiffCoug
billbillbillbill wrote:
What I am interested in is if the local BYU fans will be able to pack the west coast gyms like we have done in Vegas for Football.

Yes. And those who can't will be able to watch the games on BYUTV.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.