Archived Topic

Jimmer on Rome.....

by bostoncoug · 1/31/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Astounding poise with all this national attention. Equally amazing is his balance between his personal and the team accomplishments. Very little, if any, false modesty or pretending.
S
SpiffCoug
It's also good that Rome was still wiling to talk to Jimmer. He apparently wanted to talk to him on Friday but couldn't make it work. Given the loss, it's good to keep Jimmer and the Cougs in the national consciousness.
M
Metal Bubba
Rome does a great interview. It's everything else that he does that makes him unlistenable. Glad Jimmer is getting love, though.
S
snoscythe
Last week the day after the SDSU game, Rome was dissing on Jimmer as a one-dimensional, over-rated shooter. He evidently went back and actually watched the game that night, because the next day (two days after SDSU game), Rome was singing a completely different tune about how UNDERrated Jimmer is as a pure scorer who creates opportunities to score from anywhere on the floor. What was most amusing was he never mentioned why he pulled a complete 180 overnight and pretended like he was never Jimmer-ignorant.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
This just goes to show how little the exposure is that we really get from the MTN/Versus. If a guy like Rome, who generally is very good about doing his homework, can't see that Jimmer is an amazing player 3/4 of the way through the season, what's joe schlub armchair QB gonna think?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8BZjcP3qU
T
ThrowbackBlue
snoscythe wrote:
Last week the day after the SDSU game, Rome was dissing on Jimmer as a one-dimensional, over-rated shooter. He evidently went back and actually watched the game that night, because the next day (two days after SDSU game), Rome was singing a completely different tune about how UNDERrated Jimmer is as a pure scorer who creates opportunities to score from anywhere on the floor. What was most amusing was he never mentioned why he pulled a complete 180 overnight and pretended like he was never Jimmer-ignorant.


Sorry, but I don't think you listened to Rome the day after the SDSU game. Rome was GUSHING over how great Jimmer is/was. He said "almost nothing ever lives up to the hype except BYU's Jimmer fredette.... He delivered on his biggest stage.... Dude carved SDSU with skip-to-my-lou's handle and thunder Dan marley's range. Last night he went from electric scorer to full on phenom.... You know you've arrived when fans are crafting your name into a verb...Jimmer, jimmered the snot out of SDSU.... He is the NCAA's Blake griffin-- only 40 feet from the basket instead of 40 inches off the floor."



Not much dissing going on there. He spent about ten minutes praising Jimmer on the radio and had 3 "burns" regarding Jimmer on his tv show.



He did question if Jimmer's game would translate to the NBA and said he didn't think it would, but he hoped it would. That was the only remotely negative thing he said but still said it positively.



I'm in sales and work in my car all day. I listen to Rome everyday and he didn't pull a 180, he's been with Jimmer the whole way. You may want to go re-watch/listen to his takes because he loves Jimmer.



PS: he and his guests have been dropping Jimmer references



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
I have not seen his Jim Rome impression. That is awesome! Wow!
S
SpiffCoug
The delivery is right on, but the voice is off.
J
Jarhead
Metal Bubba wrote:
Rome does a great interview. It's everything else that he does that makes him unlistenable. Glad Jimmer is getting love, though.


I totally agree with you. Rome does some of the best interviews I've heard, but I can hardly stand the rest of the show. He will stretch an already thin topic out forever. While that may not seem unusual for a talk show, he does it without taking any phone calls from the audience, he repeats himself over and over, and there are tons of short pauses. He will knock down tons of peoples takes, when many of his takes aren't so hot themselves.



Today, I headed out to lunch today on the front end of the show, and Rome was making a big deal about how somebody had allegedly interviewed Roger Goodell on Jan 7th, and a small portion of the interview had been leaked this weekend mentioning something about why Big Ben of the Steelers ended up with such a long suspension. No one had actually heard the context, or what had actually been said in length, but he was all over the NFL commissioner about it, even though he wasn't sure about what the whole interview was about yet. On my way back from lunch almost an hour later, I turned the radio back on, and Rome was still talking about it, basically repeating the exact same points I had been hearing an hour ago.



Sorry, for the tangent. Jim Rome does great interviews, so I'm glad to hear Jimmer got on there.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Jarhead wrote:
Rome does a great interview. It's everything else that he does that makes him unlistenable. Glad Jimmer is getting love, though.


I totally agree with you. Rome does some of the best interviews I've heard, but I can hardly stand the rest of the show. He will stretch an already thin topic out forever. While that may not seem unusual for a talk show, he does it without taking any phone calls from the audience, he repeats himself over and over, and there are tons of short pauses. He will knock down tons of peoples takes, when many of his takes aren't so hot themselves.



Today, I headed out to lunch today on the front end of the show, and Rome was making a big deal about how somebody had allegedly interviewed Roger Goodell on Jan 7th, and a small portion of the interview had been leaked this weekend mentioning something about why Big Ben of the Steelers ended up with such a long suspension. No one had actually heard the context, or what had actually been said in length, but he was all over the NFL commissioner about it, even though he wasn't sure about what the whole interview was about yet. On my way back from lunch almost an hour later, I turned the radio back on, and Rome was still talking about it, basically repeating the exact same points I had been hearing an hour ago.



Sorry, for the tangent. Jim Rome does great interviews, so I'm glad to hear Jimmer got on there.


That's the way sports radio works. Few people listen all day. Most people listen while in their car. Usually at 15 to 45 minute intervals. Most of the shows just repeat the same stories every hour, with a slightly different slant every time.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.