Archived Topic

What will SDSU try to do?

by tww · 1/26/2011

Advertisement
T
tww
Okay, I have heard about several options that the aztecs might try to stop the Cougars but they have to choose. Will they try to jam Jimmer and make him give up the ball or will they try to blast the bigs and get them in foul trouble? Can they do both? Theoretically speaking I suppose they could try to do both but that is a whole lot of adjustment going on. If they try to do too much does that take them out of their game? BYU can run with them and then throw a zone in their face.



I have not seen a lot of SDSU play but what little I have seen tells me that they can be taken out of their game and are very capable of going flat. They seem to be a team that relies on momentum to intimidate and overwhelm their opposition. Call me crazy but I much prefer looking at this game from the task the Cougars must fulfill than what the aztecs are looking at.



Of course in this kind of a game anything is possible but if Jimmer shakes lose early and our bigs are in it at the end, I expect the aztecs could find themselves in uncharted waters and sinking.



I am going out on a limb and saying the aztecs can't be everywhere for forty minutes and their offense will streak for short bursts but flounder in the long run.



I say BYU by 18

It's Jimmer time...Jax time...Hartsock...Davies...and more...Cougar time!
S
SpiffCoug
They're going to slow the game down. You can't run with BYU or you lose. They're going try to keep the game in the 50s and 60s. If it starts getting up into the 70s or 80s, the Wahztecs are going to be in trouble.
M
mizzoucoug
I'd be surprised if they double Jimmer from the getgo because I'm sure they have watched recent film. Emery and Hartsock are not missing from 3 so it would be suicide. Their best shot is to get Davies in foul trouble--this is the only strategy that has proven effective this season.



Furthermore, you can hound Jimmer all you want but as long as our bigs are on the floor, SDSU won't be able to jack up shots just so they can get easy putbacks. I expect and hope that Charles gets a lot of minutes tonight for rebounding and D purposes.
S
SpiffCoug
Another idea for SDSU, would be to simply let Jimmer get his and shut down everyone else.
G
Guest
kitic77 wrote:
Another idea for SDSU, would be to simply let Jimmer get his and shut down everyone else.


Exactly what I would do.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
mizzoucoug wrote:
Their best shot is to get Davies in foul trouble--this is the only strategy that has proven effective this season.

I didn't get to watch the game, but the only strategy that has worked this year, is forcing Jimmer into a lot of turnovers. He had 7 against UCLA. He's had 7 in the last three games combined and is averaging 2.8 in conference play.
S
Schmoe
They're going to have to pick their poison. They can triple-team Jimmer and let all of our starters score in double figures, double-team him and let him score 40+, or just play him straight up and let him get around 60.
J
jonnylingo
If they are smart they will attack bwyu bigs. At that point they adjust and put amore pressure on skimmer. Focusing only on jimmer doesn't work if noah and Davies are both in. Csi proved that. It only worked to a degree when our crummy backups in the front court were in.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
Jimmer just had a bad night against UCLA. The seven Jimmer TO's were an abberation and will most likely not happen again this season. UCLA won because they attacked underneath and made the extra pass that get easy baskets. That hasn't happened again since then. I think Rose let them know about it and made sure it didn't happen again. People did not rotate and things fell apart. We lost that game because we didn't stop them from scoring. If our D had rotated denying passes and made stops we would have won. We scored almost every time but couldn't catch up because we didn't stop them.



GO BLUE!!!!
I
IowaCougar
jonnylingo wrote:
If they are smart they will attack bwyu bigs. At that point they adjust and put amore pressure on skimmer. Focusing only on jimmer doesn't work if noah and Davies are both in. Csiproved that. It only worked to a degree when our crummy backups in the front court were in.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Are you typing with your elbows?
Advertisement
G
Gunk
SDSU will switch things up on defense. They'll probably double Jimmer at times, play a zone and maybe even do what TCU did. They'll want to keep things changing in an effort to ensure doesn't get too comfortable. They'll probably stick a guy on Jimmer the entire game. My guess is they'll focus on trying to keep Jimmer from getting the ball back after his first pass.



On offense, SDSU will pound it inside. Their strength is a half-court, inside game and that's what they'll go with. They'll pound it inside against our Bigs and hope to get Davies and Noah in early foul trouble. Look for Kawhi to drive it hard and White to go up strong against our Big.



Emery, KC and Abouo will need to make sure they're cutting off the passing lanes, and this is no game for Jimmer relax on defense. He's been playing pretty lazy defense lately and letting Emery or one of the Bigs pick up his man.



IMO, Abouo needs to start over KC in this game. KC got pushed around all over by UCLA. Abouo adds a bit more mass and tenacity in the paint on defense to counter Kawhi and White.
S
stuckinbig10country
SDSU plays a style that actually plays into BYU's hands for the most part. They send 3 players to the glass on every offensive rebound opportunity. Even if they score, that let's BYU leak out and go from offense to defense quickly. All the "experts" are saying that SDSU provides matchup problems for BYU, but this is a strategic problem that actually favors BYU.



The rebounding difference in the 2nd half of the BYU/CSU game was actually not too bad. It's because CSU decided to try and slow the game down and instead of sending 3 or 4 people for offensive rebounds, they sent 1 or 2 and dropped everyone back or to their defensive assignment. It worked because CSU was hitting shots or getting to the foul line.
C
Cougs_Rule
One thing I would do is throw Leonard on Jimmer. He's longer and quicker and more athletic than DJ Gay; and enough to recover if he gets juked--at least some of the time. I suspect we could see both--if DJ cant cover Jimmer.

My greatest worry is the officiating. I know that cant be controlled. BUt looking back to last year, in the Big Dance, JImmer got the calls against Florida and shot a bunch of free throws. Then the game against KSU, there seemed to be almost a "corrective action" by the officals to not give Jimmer the calls.

Jimmer got alot of calls at CSU, iirc, I wonder if the MWC, will "make that correction" and be certain not to "favor" JImmer.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
Another idea for SDSU, would be to simply let Jimmer get his and shut down everyone else.


Exactly what I would do.


me too. As long as Jimmer's "his" isn't 50+



they're screwed either way. If BYU is dropping shots, their only prayer is to get us in foul trouble, bang it down low, and get to the line, taking 30 seconds off each time. Hope they can make more points in the paint than we can jumpshots.
B
BroncoBot
I'd love to see BYU pound it inside and try to get Leonard and SDSU's other big dude in foul trouble.
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
hawkwing wrote:
Another idea for SDSU, would be to simply let Jimmer get his and shut down everyone else.


Exactly what I would do.

Sweet! A 75 point game from Jimmer tonight! :crazy:
Y
YBrit
Pretend their star is sick and try to pull a Jordan. BYU needs to tear them a new a-hole.
T
tww
YBrit wrote:
Pretend their star is sick and try to pull a Jordan. BYU needs to tear them a new a-hole.




Ha! Awesome! A man after my own heart.



Well, I suppose if my reputation were on the line facing Jimmer in the biggest game of the year, I would be puking my guts out too. I wonder what they put in the IV?
C
CougarPeasant
kiwibacon wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
Another idea for SDSU, would be to simply let Jimmer get his and shut down everyone else.


Exactly what I would do.

Sweet! A 75 point game from Jimmer tonight! :crazy:


And it's working for them in the first half. Jimmer and Davies have 28 of BYU's 30 first half points. Jimmer with 20. *smh*



The others better pull their heads out or this game will get away from them in the second half.
B
BoiseBYU
Something different next game
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.