Archived Topic

BYU / SDSU wk 12 Ranking Predictions

by CrimsonCoug · 1/24/2011

Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
Showdown week is here. Anyone want to take a guess at where these two MWC teams will rank when they meet?



Lots of teams lost in the Top 10. I'm guessing BYU gets to #6, and SDSU to #4. With a win, BYU gets to #4 and SDSU would get to #2. With a loss BYU falls to #12 and SDSU to #10.



Anyone else?
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think BYU moves at all today. I agree that if BYU wins both games this week, they could get up to 6 and SDSU to 4. I don't think a loss will drop either team more than 2-3 positions.
R
rblack
I could see BYU dropping one spot. If Syracuse doesn't drop enough after losing to #7 Villanova and #5 Pitt. I think we get passed by Texas.

If we pass Syracuse, I think we stay at 9.

Kansas doesn't drop enough for us to pass them.

Villanova lost to #8 UConn, but then beat Syracuse. The voters will remember the Syracuse game more.

I don't think we get passed by anyone except Texas.

No one else above us lost.
Y
YBrit
It'll take a win over sds to get their spot...which is what will happen btw.
Advertisement
R
radius19
Just what I expected for the Y, surprised SDSU moved up 2. Cougs better win on Wednesday and couple that with a win in the Pit (as non-impressive as UNM has been all year it's still a respected win) they should go up 2-3 spots. Can't wait for the game wednesday night! The MC better be rocking and I'll do my part there.
B
BroncoBot
Does this mean BYU has to beat SDSU for the auto-bid to the BCS game?
R
rblack
declocoug wrote:
Does this mean BYU has to beat SDSU for the auto-bid to the BCS game?

No, BYU is out of the running for the BCS game because they are not undefeated. ;)
R
radius19
rblack wrote:
Does this mean BYU has to beat SDSU for the auto-bid to the BCS game?

No, BYU is out of the running for the BCS game because they are not undefeated. ;)
...



not undefeated AND not from an AQ conference. They could have 2 losses and still go if from one of the AQ conferences. Actually, in this years case, you can have 4 losses and still go.
R
rblack
radius19 wrote:
declocoug wrote:
Does this mean BYU has to beat SDSU for the auto-bid to the BCS game?

No, BYU is out of the running for the BCS game because they are not undefeated. ;)
...



not undefeated AND not from an AQ conference. They could have 2 losses and still go if from one of the AQ conferences. Actually, in this years case, you can have 4 losses and still go.

Heck, you can still go if you're from the PAC 10.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
rblack wrote:
AP has us tied with Syracuse at #9. SDSU moves up to #4.

Coaches keep us at #9, Syracuse at #10, SDSU #4.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Lame...the "experts" spend all week talking about how CSU is going to upset BYU and predicting a loss for BYU at CSU. Then when we go and prove how little they actually know, rather than get the credit we're treated as if the CSU game was a gimmie. Meanwhile SDSU moves into the top 5? I wasn't expecting we'd pass SDSU, but I wasn't expecting SDSU to vault into the top 5.
S
stuckinbig10country
Gunk wrote:
AP has us tied with Syracuse at #9. SDSU moves up to #4.

Coaches keep us at #9, Syracuse at #10, SDSU #4.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Lame...the "experts" spend all week talking about how CSU is going to upset BYU and predicting a loss for BYU at CSU. Then when we go and prove how little they actually know, rather than get the credit we're treated as if the CSU game was a gimmie. Meanwhile SDSU moves into the top 5? I wasn't expecting we'd pass SDSU, but I wasn't expecting SDSU to vault into the top 5.


SDSU had to move up to the top 5. They were already 6. Two teams in front of them lost. The worst they would have been this week was 5. They are one of 2 undefeated teams in the country. Most people are picking them to win on Wednesday.
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
rblack wrote:
AP has us tied with Syracuse at #9. SDSU moves up to #4.

Coaches keep us at #9, Syracuse at #10, SDSU #4.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Lame...the "experts" spend all week talking about how CSU is going to upset BYU and predicting a loss for BYU at CSU. Then when we go and prove how little they actually know, rather than get the credit we're treated as if the CSU game was a gimmie. Meanwhile SDSU moves into the top 5? I wasn't expecting we'd pass SDSU, but I wasn't expecting SDSU to vault into the top 5.


SDSU had to move up to the top 5. They were already 6. Two teams in front of them lost. The worst they would have been this week was 5. They are one of 2 undefeated teams in the country. Most people are picking them to win on Wednesday.


Totally agree. When u R #6 and #2 and #3 are upset, and U R now 1 of only 2 undefeated teams left, U move up. SDSU deserved to be #2 - so they got ripped. Pitt has already lost tonight after jumping over SDSU. BYU should be #6 or 7. We got ripped. It is kind of consistent. Mid-Majors get ripped 2 or 3 spots.



Unfortunatley, if we beat SDSU, we will still get ripped and will not take their spot unless a lot of upsets occur. Upset losses by others and lots of them are what it takes for BYU to move into the Top 4.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.