Archived Topic

Does Jackson go Pro?

by livin the dream · 1/23/2011

Advertisement
L
livin the dream
Obviously Jackson does not seem to have the build to be a 2 guard in the NBA, but it seems like his services could be very valuable over seas. Jackson has such great defensive quickness and a pure shot so it seems to me that he could be successful at the professional level. But, then again I'm not a scout for european leagues, so I don't really know.



I don't ever hear anything about his post BYU prospects, but what do you all think? Does he have a long successful professional career? Short Career? or no career, and put the finance degree to work instead?
Y
YBrit
Maybe Ainge will pull out another favor like he did for his son and get him a coaching job.



I'd love to see Jackson go pro, but that'll be in Canada or Europe for a sustained time. I bet he'll get in the development league, kick it for a while and then decide to go Euro, he's a great Cougar fan and so it's hard to imagine him away from the program.
C
Cougs_Rule
YBrit wrote:
Maybe Ainge will pull out another favor like he did for his son and get him a coaching job.



I'd love to see Jackson go pro, but that'll be in Canada or Europe for a sustained time. I bet he'll get in the development league, kick it for a while and then decide to go Euro, he's a great Cougar fan and so it's hard to imagine him away from the program.


Agreed. Canada, maybe Euro. I don't know if he has any coaching mentality or acumen. But love that guy as a player.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
I'm sure he'll get a couple NBA looks, but Jackson will make a couple million playing in Europe before his days are over. He's going to be a solid Euro.
E
EM_Puma
According to the commercial on the mtn from the NCAA, we all go pro in something. ;)
Advertisement
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Too bad he won't. He's the style player I watch basketball for. I prefer to see a huge steal to a huge dunk. I prefer to see a huge block to a huge three. I'm just a big fan of defense. If 2 teams are POUNDING it out to a 51 - 50 final, I'm just fine with that. Judging by NBA marketing, however, I'm in the minority. If they don't have a score-a-minute game, apparently their ADD America viewership drops. Ugh. He's just the style player that would be more than serviceable on offense, and really benefit a team on defense, but who needs defense when the "sport," "at that level," is designed to be a track meet?



Oh well. I'm not sure if I've said this here before, but I make no bones about the fact that Jax is LITERALLY my favorite BYU Cougar ever. I know that flies in the face of every ESPN highlight Jimmer's gotten the past 3 weeks, but I just LOVE Jax's game. If that game is more tailored to a European style, I'm ecstatic for him that he's gonna pull down 300-500K a year there. Good for him, and good luck to him. He's a great guy, has a great attitude, and I'll be happy for him whatever he does.
S
snoscythe
I think he'll get his two years in the D-League before he starts looking overseas.n.
G
Guest
I remember talking about this in the CougarCorner podcast.



Great episode! http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



My thought was that he'll get a shot in the D-League and then end up over seas. Great guy, very smart player, but not an NBA body.
G
Gunk
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
Too bad he won't. He's the style player I watch basketball for. I prefer to see a huge steal to a huge dunk. I prefer to see a huge block to a huge three. I'm just a big fan of defense. If 2 teams are POUNDING it out to a 51 - 50 final, I'm just fine with that. Judging by NBA marketing, however, I'm in the minority. If they don't have a score-a-minute game, apparently their ADD America viewership drops. Ugh. He's just the style player that would be more than serviceable on offense, and really benefit a team on defense, but who needs defense when the "sport," "at that level," is designed to be a track meet?



Oh well. I'm not sure if I've said this here before, but I make no bones about the fact that Jax is LITERALLY my favorite BYU Cougar ever. I know that flies in the face of every ESPN highlight Jimmer's gotten the past 3 weeks, but I just LOVE Jax's game. If that game is more tailored to a European style, I'm ecstatic for him that he's gonna pull down 300-500K a year there. Good for him, and good luck to him. He's a great guy, has a great attitude, and I'll be happy for him whatever he does.


And for some reason we keep hearing Jimmer can't play in the NBA because of his lack of defense... :roll:
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Gunk wrote:
And for some reason we keep hearing Jimmer can't play in the NBA because of his lack of defense... :roll:

Yeah, kinda funny, that...



Which is exactly why I think Jimmer will do fine in the NBA. An extraordinary offensive game will always trump a mediocre defensive game in the NBA.
Advertisement
B
BOID
I don't understand why Emery is not considered suitable for the NBA. Is it PPG? Ball handling? Vertical jump? He certainly seems to be a good shooter, and punishes opponents that try to bottle up Jimmer. I assume he would have more PPG if he were on some team without a Jimmer. We know he plays good defense. I also wonder why Ainge was so much more suited for NBA play--- did Ainge have more ability to score from anywhere, like driving through defenses to the boards? I know we see Jimmer do that more than Jackson. Regarding physical build, it seems to me that Ainge wasn't any more pumped up back then than Emery is now. Finally, have competetive criteria changed significantly in the NBA since Ainge's time?



I'm not challenging here, just curious. Could some one help me out?
S
SpiffCoug
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think he may get a chance. There could be a role for Jackson on an NBA team. He's not a great ball handler, but he can shoot. He's improved his shooting during his time at BYU. I think he could extend his range in the NBA. He plays solid defense and has great lateral quickenss.



He's probably not a starter, but I could see a role of 8-10 minutes of knocking down shots and playing tough defense.



Like Jimmer, he would have to go to a team where he coudl fill a specific role.
S
stuckinbig10country
Jackson is an incredible athlete. Watch him when he shoots the 3. He gets great elevation on his jump. He is probably a better catch and shoot player than Jimmer is, and that is an important skill-set in the NBA game. Only being 6'3" is going to hurt him as the position that he would play in the NBA is stacked with 6'6" to 6'8" guys.



In reality, he's probably going to play in Europe. I would wager that he is going to be like Travis Hansen and have a really good and long career there. After 8 to 10 years he'll be back in the US doing something else.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.