Archived Topic

Does having a top 10 basketball program....

by Ygridiron4ever · 1/23/2011

Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
....have any impact on football recruiting?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Nope. Ask UCLA, Arizona, Duke, Villanova, PITT, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kentucky, Purdue, Notre Dame, or Washington.



Wish it did though. I think it makes it "cooler" for guys that are already committed to coming. Doesn't push anyone over the edge though...
C
Cougarbib
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
....have any impact on football recruiting?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

It didn't keep Chris Burgess from going to Duke for BB - opposite situation - with Duke having horrible football teams.



Duke at the endof the day is a basketball school. BYU at the ende of the day is a football school. It shocks me that this team is not getting even more fan excitement - on CC and other chat boards for example compared to football.



Part of it may be that there are only 5 starters and another 10 or so reserves rather than having 100+ players to talk about. Fewer coaches to debate about. But part of it is the football first nature of BYU.



But I love having good programs in both sports as well as other sports like Volleyball. But I only travel half way round the world for football and occasionally, but rarely basketball as far as making a special trip just for that purpose goes.
C
CAFB_04-12
I don't think it does, but it does keep BYU in the news and on ESPN highlights during the slow months of the offseason.
B
BerliNY
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
....have any impact on football recruiting?


If I were a recruit and I got to see the MC packed to the rafters during the SDSU game this week, I can't imagine a way that it wouldn't reflect positively on the school. Recruiting is a very emotion-driven process and putting a kid in the middle of 20k+ screaming BYU fans would certainly be a positive, emotional experience.



So I guess my answer is that if you use the BBall team to help recruiting then yes, a top-10 team helps. I think it could also help in general name- and brand-recognition especially on the east coast. I think the effect on recruiting would be limited to those two factors though, everything else would be inconsequential IMO.
Advertisement
B
BYUcougfan
I don't think it hurts. The basketball team is certainly raising BYU's profile in the media.
C
Cougarbib
BYUcougfan wrote:
I don't think it hurts. The basketball team is certainly raising BYU's profile in the media.

Plus 1. Jake Heaps sure had some fun with it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
YBrit
Of course it does! :bug: I can't believe people don't think so.



The unique thing about BYU is they are not Kansas, Duke, Purdue, Wake Forest, Etc...



BYU cannot be compared with them. When you see BYU BYU BYU ALL OVER National TV for how great Jimmer is, the team is etc...you remember, it gets in your head. Especially when it's about your church, and your possible school. The buzz of going independent and playing in tons of exciting nationally televised games (as well as some not exciting ones) is also brought to attention readily when seeing the Y team make headlines in b-ball.



There aren't many programs that have success in both schools, and until 2010 BYU was one of the top 5 programs for basketball and football. That being said, BYU is magnetic to LDS athletes, seeing them on TV highlights for the first time ever on ESPN gets attention and it helps.
M
Mingjai
Add Indiana to the list of basketball powers that struggles in football.



I think the converse is true--having a good football program helps with basketball. Look at Florida, Texas, and Ohio State, who are better known as football powers that have done well in basketball as well. But a good football program is demonstrated to have an impact on academic recruiting as well, so it shouldn't surprise that it helps basketball recruiting.



Plus, revenue dollars from football add funds the athletic department can use to hire a quality basketball coach.
I
IowaCougar
Things change. When I started at BYU, it was a Basketball school, and football was an afterthought. If the BBall team keeps playing like this, I think the fans will be as excited about Basketball as they are for Football.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
IowaCougar wrote:
Things change. When I started at BYU, it was a Basketball school, and football was an afterthought. If the BBall team keeps playing like this, I think the fans will be as excited about Basketball as they are for Football.


When did you start at BYU? :skeptic:
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
Things change. When I started at BYU, it was a Basketball school, and football was an afterthought. If the BBall team keeps playing like this, I think the fans will be as excited about Basketball as they are for Football.


When did you start at BYU? :skeptic:

Iowa is correct. I started in 1969 and Tommy Hudspeth was the football coach. A few years had passed sincce Virgil Carter had some success at QB, but other than a few decent seasons then, there was no history of football success. Hudspeth fizzled, got fired, and Lavell Edwards got promoted. I remember wondering why a school that couldn't score any points would make the DC the new head coach. Well, now I know.



Meanwhile Stan Watts was continuing his great career as basketball head coach and Kresimir Cosic was the big gun while I was there. But there had been previous glory in basketball. I remember the NIT Championship in about 1966, back when that meant something. That year it meant a #5 ranking right behind Utah who went to the final 4 and lost to Kentucky and Texas Western (UTEP). Texas Western won the NC and a movie has been made about it and the introduction of black athletes to the sport by the Bear - at UTEP.



Back then, there was a consolation game in the Final Four. That is why Utah lost to two teams. Utah played in the tournament without their starting Center, George McKay iirc, who broke a leg at season end.



BYU was definitley a basketball school back then.
B
Brayden Green
football helps basketball because of the revenue...



I just don't think that it really pushes anyone over the line that isn't coming to BYU anyways. I am loving all the publicity though.
C
CAFB_04-12
That's a pretty interesting pre-football-is-king perspective on BYU.



I'm really enjoying having an exciting bball team to cheer on last year and this year.



Football is still king for me, though. I was born during the Edwards era.
B
bouteloua
BYU basketball was big before football. We won the NIT in 51 and 66. They also have a winning tradition even earlier than that. For reference...

http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/pdf/basketball_m/All_Time_Results.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Until Edwards, we were just up and coming, then came into our own during his era. Also, we have had good football and good basketball teams concurrently during Ainge, Durrant, and Smith years. I cannot recall rankings during that time, but we were ranked high in basketball all three years. I do recall getting as high as #3 during Smith's run and we won our first 20 games (1988?). Did those years have an effect on football recruiting. Probably, but not a big factor.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
bouteloua wrote:
BYU basketball was big before football. We won the NIT in 51 and 66. They also have a winning tradition even earlier than that. For reference...

http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/pdf/basketball_m/All_Time_Results.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Until Edwards, we were just up and coming, then came into our own during his era. Also, we have had good football and good basketball teams concurrently during Ainge, Durrant, and Smith years. I cannot recall rankings during that time, but we were ranked high in basketball all three years. I do recall getting as high as #3 during Smith's run and we won our first 20 games (1988?). Did those years have an effect on football recruiting. Probably, but not a big factor.

We did get to #2 or #3 at 17-0 iirc, and the team or teams ahead of us both lost that day, and we had a late game at UA-Birmingham. A win would put us #1. But UAB killed us by about 30 points, exposed a weakness to physical, pound it inside opponents, and we lost a few more after UAB painted the map. But it was a fun year and a great BYU team. I think this BYU team is even better and now has a better 20 game start than that one at 19-1 which is best BYU start ever.

Wednesday is huge for Jimmer and 2011 BYU team legacy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
Schmoe wrote:
Things change. When I started at BYU, it was a Basketball school, and football was an afterthought. If the BBall team keeps playing like this, I think the fans will be as excited about Basketball as they are for Football.


When did you start at BYU? :skeptic:

I started in 1973. BYU had just installed an exciting, pass-oriented offense and was starting to attract attention, but had some disappointing losses. I remember the stadium many times being half-full (even though it was much smaller then). Students could pretty much move over to the 50 yard line for better seats, and the student tickets were free.
M
Mingjai
IowaCougar wrote:
IowaCougar wrote:
Things change. When I started at BYU, it was a Basketball school, and football was an afterthought. If the BBall team keeps playing like this, I think the fans will be as excited about Basketball as they are for Football.


When did you start at BYU? :skeptic:

I started in 1973. BYU had just installed an exciting, pass-oriented offense and was starting to attract attention, but had some disappointing losses. I remember the stadium many times being half-full (even though it was much smaller then). Students could pretty much move over to the 50 yard line for better seats, and the student tickets were free.


About the same time both my parents started at BYU, and they report the same thing about BYU being a basketball school. Remember, when the Marriott Center was build in 1971, it had 2/3 the capacity of Cougar Stadium.
I
IowaCougar
Just to give you a feel for just how much things have changed -- Tuition was $300/semester! :)
B
BroncoBot
IowaCougar wrote:
Just to give you a feel for just how much things have changed -- Tuition was $300/semester! :)

that's amazing. BYU is still such a deal.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.