Archived Topic

Chow to Utah

by bouteloua · 1/23/2011

Advertisement
B
bouteloua
I have read several tweets that it is a done deal that Chow is now joining the Utes. My question is does this affect Roderick's decision at all? I'm guessing no, but only about 75/25 or so.
C
Cougarbib
bouteloua wrote:
I have read several tweets that it is a done deal that Chow is now joining the Utes. My question is does this affect Roderick's decision at all? I'm guessing no, but only about 75/25 or so.

If Chow doesn't want Roderick it would have a major impact. But I suppose we need to let the dust and smoke settle. Someone had to come up with a ton of money if this is going to happen - either UCLA, a benevolent Norm Chow, or some Utah booster. I doubt Chow walked away from anything, so it has to be UCLA or Utah schools or boosters.



I would love to see Chow at Utah and love to see him do well - except when BYU smacks them annually. Chow played for Utah and probably won't work forever - this would be a nice way for him to go out. And hey - wasn't there a lot of worry about whether the rivalry would remain a rivalry. Chow at Utah would ensure that it reminaed a rivalry - assuming that the Utes don't back out of playing BYU.



But then - we can't assume that he would be the OC although that seems logical. People assumed that when Anae went to Arizona but he ended up as running game coordinator or something like that and the guy some predicted was going to get forced out at AZ that had been co-OC ended up being OC.



It would sure be nice to find all of this stuff out, though. I have wndered for over aweek if Bronco was waiting to see if ARod freed up. Anyway, Bronco clearly has something he wants to do that has not come together yet.
B
BigCougsFan
Is this for real?



I thought all this was just smoke and mirrors. I was convinced Chow wouldn't want to leave So Cal.



He's passed his prime anyways.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bouteloua
Good points, Bib. I assumed the OC position. I just wonder, because the Y already contacted Rod, and he passed. If Chow is OC that will really put a wrench in Rod's plans for sure. I wonder if we even want/need him anymore? This offseason is really interesting. I'm just getting antsy about the whole dang situation finally settling down for BYU.
B
BigCougsFan
Cougarbib2 wrote:
And hey - wasn't there a lot of worry about whether the rivalry would remain a rivalry. Chow at Utah would ensure that it reminaed a rivalry - assuming that the Utes don't back out of playing BYU.


How would Chow "ensure" that? Put it in his contract?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BigCougsFan wrote:
And hey - wasn't there a lot of worry about whether the rivalry would remain a rivalry. Chow at Utah would ensure that it reminaed a rivalry - assuming that the Utes don't back out of playing BYU.


How would Chow "ensure" that? Put it in his contract?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

The Chow hatred that is still so pervasive would ensure it.



BTW - it is a done deal - just announced - He is OC at Utah
B
BroncoBot
what was the score last time BYU and chow faced each other? Chow going to Utah really makes no difference to me. I'd take Doman given the choice.



Hopefully we find out that BYU was simply jogging the last few years, stubbed its toe this year, and should really start hitting its stride now. It took some fine tuning but Bronco has this machine ready to roll. Some of the final pieces will be integrated this offseason. With Doman at the offensive helm I think we are going to see fireworks on both sides of the ball next year and for quite a few years after that.



I remember being a freshman in 2000 and the palpable difference Doman made on the offense. Hopefully a similar attitude/difference happens with BYU's offense in 2011.
B
bouteloua
From the press conference.

"Adding Norm Chow to our offensive staff was an opportunity that we couldn't pass up," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "Norm is widely considered one of the top offensive coordinators in the country and his experience at both USC and UCLA will aid us in our transition into the Pac-12 conference. I have a long-standing relationship with Norm and have a tremendous amount of respect for him and what he has accomplished over the course of his career. His hiring will obviously mean some restructuring within our offensive staff and those details will be announced when they are finalized."



This is why I wonder about Arod. This one is a big dominoe in the Utes staff. I'm reasonable in assuming that Chow is OC with no co-oc on the staff. So Arod IS getting demoted, a little bit.
C
CougarClaw
Kryle wrote:

" his experience at both USC and UCLA will aid us in our transition....


I'm sorry, didn't Chow also work a couple of other places? Remind me where those were again?



huh. Must have slipped his mind where else Chow earned his 'experience'.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
They are getting him 15 years too late. He is at least 5 years removed from being any kind of effective play caller.



I hope Cahoon comes to the Y to coach our wide-outs, but if he doesn't I'll take Roderick in a heartbeat (esp. if he feels slighted...). The Utes wide-outs and "Wide IN's" have been phenomenal under him the last few years.
S
sharpone
CougarClaw wrote:
I'm sorry, didn't Chow also work a couple of other places? Remind me where those were again?



huh. Must have slipped his mind where else Chow earned his 'experience'.


Reading the presser, I'm sure this was related to Chow's experience with PAC teams and in the PAC generally.
C
Cougarbib
No matter who coaches at Utah they will struggle next year in offense. They lost 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string RBs. Wynn did not improve last year - may not improve in 2011 either. I don't follow them closely, but my friend told me they lost two linemen and two receivers to the NFL. Sound familiar. Not a reload. A rebuild. It will hit them right at the same time their schedule just got tougher. Sound familiar. It will not matter what they try to do. They will struggle until new players like Langi gain experience.



But BYU fans will enjoy pounding Utah even more with Norm Chow over there. And if Chow pulls a rabbit out of the proverbial hat and turns Wynn into a decent QB - maybe we might want to give him his Props as he fades into the sunset.



If we do not beat the weak 2011 Utes with our talented and now experienced players, Bronco and the new coaching staff will have some spraining to do because there are no excuses left after this staff evaluation and overhaul.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
One of the Utes biggest problems is their starting QB won't have a spring ball. Wynn won't be ready for it. He may not even be ready for the fall camp. The Utes are really going to struggle offensively - especially the first half of the season. Oh, which also happens to be the same time BYU plays them.
C
crh55
Utah fans are excited to have Chow because of his Pac 10 experience and they realize that Winn is not a spread quarterback. They think Chow's offense will suit Winn's skill set (or lack thereof) better.



Do they realize they are all excited to yet another coach with significant ties to BYU. I thought they hated the "little brother" nickname, but they sure live up to it!



Either way Doman & Heaps will work them this year.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
When is Chow going to be able to start working with Wynn to make use of his skill set? August? September? 2012?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.