Archived Topic

What it Takes to be Relevant - Basketball Version

by Cougarbib · 1/22/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Somebody else posted a similar topic in football. In basketball, BYU became relevant nationally when we beat UNLV on their home court and punctuated that relevance when Jimmer popped 47 against Utah. That coincided with a rise to a Top 10 ranking and a Jimmer National Player of the Week Award.



It is probably the same for football. Win your games - move into the Top 10 - have a player with star power - and you become nationally relevant: Big Time Relevant.



It is that simple. I think it would work for football too. And if we keep winning, we are so relevant, that we will not be ignorable - we will get a decent Seeding, and Jimmer will get drafted very high in the draft - if we keep winning all the way to the MWC Championship in Las Vegas. BYU would rise to the Top 1-4 rankings and command a #1 seed and Jimmer would go in the 1st 5 picks.
V
vancouvercougar
Cougarbib2 wrote:
And if we keep winning, we are so relevant, that we will not be ignorable - we will get a decent Seeding, and Jimmer will get drafted very high in the draft - if we keep winning all the way to the MWC Championship in Las Vegas. BYU would rise to the Top 1-4 rankings and command a #1 seed and Jimmer would go in the 1st 5 picks.


If we win the next 2 games our relevance will greatly increase. If we win out I see us as a 2 seed even if we deserve a 1 seed.
S
snoscythe
I don't think Jimmer goes top 5 picks in any plausible scenario. 6'2" is simply too risky to spend a top 5 pick. I think his ceiling is about #10.
Q
Qman
It isn't about Jimmer being 6'2". Players in the top 5 need to physical attributes that will give them an advantage. If Jimmer was 6'2" and very quick he would be drafted top 5. See Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton.
S
SpiffCoug
What does it take to be relevant in bball?

One of two things:

A spectacular record or

A spectacular player.



This year we could have both. We could have both in football the next three years as well!
Advertisement
G
Gunk
kitic77 wrote:
What does it take to be relevant in bball?

One of two things:

A spectacular record or

A spectacular player.



This year we could have both. We could have both in football the next three years as well!


Need a good coach too, one that is particularly adept at making in-game changes. That way when the kitchen sink is thrown at you he can recognize it and adapt as needed.
C
Cougs_Rule
Bib, I will tell you what. If BYU gets a #1 seed or Jimmer goes top 5, on my next business trip to Cali, I will take you to a nice dinner and swear off being snide, sarcastic, and acrimonious with you.

Is BYU relevant? Yes. Will they stay relevant all year? I hope. Looks very possible.

GO COUGS! Don't get gored today!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Bib, I will tell you what. If BYU gets a #1 seed or Jimmer goes top 5, on my next business trip to Cali, I will take you to a nice dinner and swear off being snide, sarcastic, and acrimonious with you.

Is BYU relevant? Yes. Will they stay relevant all year? I hope. Looks very possible.

GO COUGS! Don't get gored today!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Be sure to coordinate schedules - I live in Hawaii. But I get to Ventura County often and Orange County fairly often to see my kids.



My first grandson may be born today. Hopefully before gametime. Not sure where you live but I will be in Utah in August for a Class of 69 60th birthday reunion at Wasatch High School.



Anyway, I would really be willing to go out of my way to achieve a more respectful relationship.



Let's hope for a large healthy baby - like his 6'5" dad - and some DE skills, but stronger knees and a BYU win. If a miracle happens, and BYU wins out - 1 Seed will happen and Jimmer will go Top 5.



Now - if we can just get the miracle to happen - I agree that odds are against that long win streak.



Respectfully



Bib aka "The Bib-ster". Make that Bibster - the hyphen still feels awkward.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
What does it take to be relevant in bball?

One of two things:

A spectacular record or

A spectacular player.



This year we could have both. We could have both in football the next three years as well!


Need a good coach too, one that is particularly adept at making in-game changes. That way when the kitchen sink is thrown at you he can recognize it and adapt as needed.

Unless your last name is Kzryzewski it takes more than a coach to be relevant.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.