Archived Topic

Chow to Utah - potential ARod to BYU saga update

by Cougarbib · 1/20/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
This link was forwarded to me by a Ute friend who has been following the Chow saga wondering if Chow will become a Ute. The Utes seem to want Chow. Ironically, and not copied here, when I searched for Norm Chow Fired UCLA, putting the UCLA delimiter because he has been fired or run out of town a few times, a lot of stuff comes up. Fan sentiment seems to be - fire Neuheisel and keep Chow. Anyway, for those of us frustrated at how long it is taking Bronco to re-evaluate his Offensive staff, Neuheisal claims to be still evaluating his entire staff, including OC and DC replacements.



He claims to want Chow on staff, but makes it pretty clear it would not be as OC. And ironically, they just gave Chow the big contract extension to keep Kiffin from getting Chow at USC. Chow should have gone to USC - given those two choices, but he probably hoped for something better than Slick Rick or Lane Kiffin for a boss. If Utah had the money - I think Chow would go now, but $170K < $500K a year and if Chow quits - he gets zip from UCLA. If he gets fired, he gets $500K * 2 years pay. He can't afford to quit. He is probably praying that they fire him - so are Ute fans, apparently. I have no idea if Bronco is hoping this all unfolds so he can get ARod.





http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... umn?page=2
C
Cougarbib
No one commented when I posted this theory a week ago and even prior to that in a separate thread. The UCLA mess has finally played out. THe Utah saga has started. It is not yet clear, what, if anything, this means for ARod and BYU.



One thing is for certain, BYU Fans won't lose any venom they may have that fuels the rivarly anytime soon.
C
CougarClaw
BYU fans should be a big fan of Chow. Not only did he give us some great years in Provo, he continued to give us BYU great years at UCLA...thanks man!
E
EM_Puma
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how these BYU/Utah players/coaches can interchange like they do. I understand that it's usually a career opportunity and I don't know if there would be any influence on Chow if BYU and Utah were in the same conference since he did play his college ball at Utah. But bottom line, how can you coach against your former team? I don't know how I would do that.
M
Metallicat
If Utah gave you a 100K+ a year to coach there, you would do it.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Metallicat wrote:
If Utah gave you a 100K+ a year to coach there, you would do it.


Not if I had any other options, which I'm sure Chow does.
B
BerliNY
Metallicat wrote:
If Utah gave you a 100K+ a year to coach there, you would do it.


Wasn't he making $500k+ at UCLA? Would you take an 80% hit to work at Utah?
E
EM_Puma
Schmoe wrote:
If Utah gave you a 100K+ a year to coach there, you would do it.


Not if I had any other options, which I'm sure Chow does.


Exactly. Maybe it's like he said in one interview so far that it's an opportunity to go back to where you got your two degrees and met your wife and while you play BYU, somewhere he probably felt that he was dis'ed at the end of his 27 years there, it was with a different coach and it was a different time. Maybe this is a curtain call for him to go back to where it began just as he finishes. He's 64 and while I applaud those that don't look at retirement as being something they have to do, I would have no problem finding things that I could do that would be enjoyable and worthwhile. Sometimes these coaches just hang on too long like Paterno. To me they send the message that they don't feel that there is anyone else that could do the job beyond them or they really don't have a life if it is that career or nothing. I could retire tomorrow and my life would not diminish in quality or volume of activities.



In all of this change, still not word about A-rod and his play in all of this. It now looks like he should have kept that offer he had last year with Washington because now, no matter how you look at it, he has been demoted.
C
Cougarbib
BerliNY wrote:
If Utah gave you a 100K+ a year to coach there, you would do it.


Wasn't he making $500k+ at UCLA? Would you take an 80% hit to work at Utah?


UCLA is paying the difference. He gets to coach at Utah and still make $500K. Utah wants him and Neheisal does not - so why would Chow stay at UCLA - even though UCLA fans like him and do not like Neuheisal at this point based on blog and chat sentiments I read.
C
CougarClaw
Trib Ute reporter is repeating a player who says that A-Rod will be staying on as a WR coach.



huh.



Why would you stay on at Utah and take a demotion like that? We'll see if that ends up being true.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
CougarClaw wrote:
Trib Ute reporter is repeating a player who says that A-Rod will be staying on as a WR coach.



huh.



Why would you stay on at Utah and take a demotion like that? We'll see if that ends up being true.

As near as I can tell, Utah pays more than BYU historically and may be raising pay further to compete with PAC 10 payscales.



Unless someone offers him an OC slot or co-OC slot, he will be demoted in title wherever he goes. He might get more money at another BCS school, but if he wants to live in Utah - he will get more $ at U and won't have to move or commute to Provo.



Unless Chow doesn't want him. And Chow won't be around forever and he may see an opportunity to move back up layer after Chow tutelage.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
AmmonCougar1
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Trib Ute reporter is repeating a player who says that A-Rod will be staying on as a WR coach.



huh.



Why would you stay on at Utah and take a demotion like that? We'll see if that ends up being true.

As near as I can tell, Utah pays more than BYU historically and may be raising pay further to compete with PAC 10 payscales.



Unless someone offers him an OC slot or co-OC slot, he will be demoted in title wherever he goes. He might get more money at another BCS school, but if he wants to live in Utah - he will get more $ at U and won't have to move or commute to Provo.



Unless Chow doesn't want him. And Chow won't be around forever and he may see an opportunity to move back up layer after Chow tutelage.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This is exactly what I was thinking. Because didn't Roderick turn down a chance to coach under sark at UW but stick around because his wife and/or he didn't want to move? Also, didn't Roderick play at BYU while Chow was there? Keeping the same $, not having to up and move, dropping a little workload (possibly with a youngish family--based on his age--he graduated BHS the same year I graduated WXHS) and all along getting tutored by one who has been around greatness, would be pretty appealing to me.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.