Archived Topic

Bronco's Thoughts about Cahoon

by byucougar1 · 1/18/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Recent blog by Wrubell:



Mendenhall described observing Cahoon during his offseason workouts at BYU and noted the detailed way in which he ran his routes, etc. He would like his receivers to emulate this aspect from Cahoon's game



Mendenhall futher stateed, "It's not just catching the football; there's all this position mastery that went into it prior to that. I would hope that our receivers would think that catching the football is important, but be 'un-coverable,' and sometimes that's not only about speed--in fact seldom is it only about speed."



Bronco and the BYU Football program also awarded Cahoon the LaVell Edwards Distinguished Alumni Award. He stated, "When we had an opportunity to consider who might be deserving to be recognized, you're really looking for the epitome of a BYU Football player. Not only were they exception on the football field, but they represent all of the core values, they have the characteristics that LaVell embraced and what he embodied."



"If we can continue to draw student-athletes to BYU like (Ben Cahoon), then we'll end up doing great things for the program."



Sounds like Cahoon fits the mold of a coach that Bronco wants on staff.



Regarding the art of pass-catching, Cahoon emphasized that one can teach catching the ball. He said, "Catching is 90% mental, so you need to be able to practice on the field, and then you need to be able to visualize in your bedroom--imagine yourself making great grabs--then you need to be able to approach the game with complete confidence that whatever comes your way, you're going to come down with it...The tough catches are routine; the impossible ones just take a little more practice."
I
IndiCoug
I love Ben and his work ethic. I said this early in the season and I'll say it again. Ben would be a huge get for BYU and the recieving game would be better than what we have previously seen. Think of zero drops that touch both hands of the reciever. Think metally strong recievers (by the way -- BYU has a new metal conditioning program starting up this year --- it will do great things for our players), think hussle, think Bronco metality. I LOVE IT!!
S
snoscythe
It should also be noted that Cahoon admitted to dropping a few of Heaps' passes over the summer because of his "cannon."



That's not to excuse our receivers for their performance in the season, but simply to illustrate that even great receivers need to adjust to different QBs. But that adjustment shouldn't take more than a week or so of practice.
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:
It should also be noted that Cahoon admitted to dropping a few of Heaps' passes over the summer because of his "cannon."



That's not to excuse our receivers for their performance in the season, but simply to illustrate that even great receivers need to adjust to different QBs. But that adjustment shouldn't take more than a week or so of practice.


That's very interesting insight! For a world class "Hall of Fame" type receiver to drop Jake's passes - because of their speed!! Man! A true Feshman w/ that kind of arm vs. veteran hands. I know we all know Jake is talented. But to get that kind of perspective & insight from a solid pro receiver. Good stuff.
P
pjspack
byucougar1 wrote:
Recent blog by Wrubell:



Mendenhall described observing Cahoon during his offseason workouts at BYU and noted the detailed way in which he ran his routes, etc. He would like his receivers to emulate this aspect from Cahoon's game



Mendenhall futher stateed, "It's not just catching the football; there's all this position mastery that went into it prior to that. I would hope that our receivers would think that catching the football is important, but be 'un-coverable,' and sometimes that's not only about speed--in fact seldom is it only about speed."



Bronco and the BYU Football program also awarded Cahoon the LaVell Edwards Distinguished Alumni Award. He stated, "When we had an opportunity to consider who might be deserving to be recognized, you're really looking for the epitome of a BYU Football player. Not only were they exception on the football field, but they represent all of the core values, they have the characteristics that LaVell embraced and what he embodied."



"If we can continue to draw student-athletes to BYU like (Ben Cahoon), then we'll end up doing great things for the program."



Sounds like Cahoon fits the mold of a coach that Bronco wants on staff.



Regarding the art of pass-catching, Cahoon emphasized that one can teach catching the ball. He said, "Catching is 90% mental, so you need to be able to practice on the field, and then you need to be able to visualize in your bedroom--imagine yourself making great grabs--then you need to be able to approach the game with complete confidence that whatever comes your way, you're going to come down with it...The tough catches are routine; the impossible ones just take a little more practice."




Very telling and insightful comments from Bronco. I think most of you would agree that he isn't one to give out praise very often. This is very reminiscent of what he said about Doman not to long ago. I would say that on that basis this is Cahoon's job if he wants it.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
snoscythe wrote:
It should also be noted that Cahoon admitted to dropping a few of Heaps' passes over the summer because of his "cannon."


Ya, but he was being literal.
C
CougarClaw
snoscythe wrote:
It should also be noted that Cahoon admitted to dropping a few of Heaps' passes over the summer because of his "cannon."



That's not to excuse our receivers for their performance in the season, but simply to illustrate that even great receivers need to adjust to different QBs. But that adjustment shouldn't take more than a week or so of practice.


Cahoon was also trying to catch passes with his teeth cause catching it with one and two hands is just too easy.
E
EM_Puma
I found it intersting to read Bronco's comments as reported by Wrubell in relation to a thread at TBS by one of the co-founders and a personal good friend, Talo Steves. This was reported yesterday:



Ben Cahoon and BYU



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I know there has been a lot of hope that Ben Cahoon would be hired on as BYU's next wide receiver's coach. Ben is a great man and would be a great fit in terms of the type of person you would want to be on staff. If there ever was a Bronco type person based on his past as a player at BYU it's Ben Cahoon.



It's become clear that while he might be a great wide receiver in the CFL the staff is looking for a variety of qualifications. Now before everyone starts harping on Coach Doman for not being held to the same standards, I don't think think we should make comparisons at the risk of being critical without understanding. A staff's needs change based on timing, availability and current staff personnel. I also don't think we should be complaining that Coach Mendenhall hired Doman either. He obviously saw something in him and I think we all know what those qualities are now.



Cahoon has met with and interviewed with Coach Mendenhall. It was made clear that while he might be a great wide receiver in the CFL, the staff is looking for a coach with more coaching and teaching experience, organizational and managerial experience as well as recruiting coordinating experience. This is what the staff is looking for now and are qualifications that Ben Cahoon doesn't have.



It's unfortunate because he's one loved among the Cougar fan base but it is what it is.




I cannot say how much credence should be put into Talo's words. He does not normally post such treads to just smooth the road so people don't get excited if somthing that is expected doesn't happen with BYU, so in that light I take his some-what slight "inside" comments as a regular BYU media individual with a little more attention than usual. Just his personal feelings from what he is hearing and it seems founded that the general consensus is that it is expected by a lot of BYU fans that Ben Cahoun will be hired to coach BYU's receivers.



The one thing I have noted when following BYU is to almost expect the unexpected.
R
redneckjedi
EM_Puma wrote:
I found it intersting to read Bronco's comments as reported by Wrubell in relation to a thread at TBS by one of the co-founders and a personal good friend, Talo Steves. This was reported yesterday:



Ben Cahoon and BYU



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I know there has been a lot of hope that Ben Cahoon would be hired on as BYU's next wide receiver's coach. Ben is a great man and would be a great fit in terms of the type of person you would want to be on staff. If there ever was a Bronco type person based on his past as a player at BYU it's Ben Cahoon.



It's become clear that while he might be a great wide receiver in the CFL the staff is looking for a variety of qualifications. Now before everyone starts harping on Coach Doman for not being held to the same standards, I don't think think we should make comparisons at the risk of being critical without understanding. A staff's needs change based on timing, availability and current staff personnel. I also don't think we should be complaining that Coach Mendenhall hired Doman either. He obviously saw something in him and I think we all know what those qualities are now.



Cahoon has met with and interviewed with Coach Mendenhall. It was made clear that while he might be a great wide receiver in the CFL, the staff is looking for a coach with more coaching and teaching experience, organizational and managerial experience as well as recruiting coordinating experience. This is what the staff is looking for now and are qualifications that Ben Cahoon doesn't have.



It's unfortunate because he's one loved among the Cougar fan base but it is what it is.




I cannot say how much credence should be put into Talo's words. He does not normally post such treads to just smooth the road so people don't get excited if somthing that is expected doesn't happen with BYU, so in that light I take his some-what slight "inside" comments as a regular BYU media individual with a little more attention than usual. Just his personal feelings from what he is hearing and it seems founded that the general consensus is that it is expected by a lot of BYU fans that Ben Cahoun will be hired to coach BYU's receivers.



The one thing I have noted when following BYU is to almost expect the unexpected.


Translation: they're hiring Drage instead. :evil: Either way, we'll have someone very capable at the position.
P
pjspack
EM_Puma wrote:
I found it intersting to read Bronco's comments as reported by Wrubell in relation to a thread at TBS by one of the co-founders and a personal good friend, Talo Steves. This was reported yesterday:



Ben Cahoon and BYU



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I know there has been a lot of hope that Ben Cahoon would be hired on as BYU's next wide receiver's coach. Ben is a great man and would be a great fit in terms of the type of person you would want to be on staff. If there ever was a Bronco type person based on his past as a player at BYU it's Ben Cahoon.



It's become clear that while he might be a great wide receiver in the CFL the staff is looking for a variety of qualifications. Now before everyone starts harping on Coach Doman for not being held to the same standards, I don't think think we should make comparisons at the risk of being critical without understanding. A staff's needs change based on timing, availability and current staff personnel. I also don't think we should be complaining that Coach Mendenhall hired Doman either. He obviously saw something in him and I think we all know what those qualities are now.



Cahoon has met with and interviewed with Coach Mendenhall. It was made clear that while he might be a great wide receiver in the CFL, the staff is looking for a coach with more coaching and teaching experience, organizational and managerial experience as well as recruiting coordinating experience. This is what the staff is looking for now and are qualifications that Ben Cahoon doesn't have.



It's unfortunate because he's one loved among the Cougar fan base but it is what it is.




I cannot say how much credence should be put into Talo's words. He does not normally post such treads to just smooth the road so people don't get excited if somthing that is expected doesn't happen with BYU, so in that light I take his some-what slight "inside" comments as a regular BYU media individual with a little more attention than usual. Just his personal feelings from what he is hearing and it seems founded that the general consensus is that it is expected by a lot of BYU fans that Ben Cahoun will be hired to coach BYU's receivers.



The one thing I have noted when following BYU is to almost expect the unexpected.


It all sounds understandable,the problem is that some of it doesn't make any sense. First of all its sounds like this conversation between Bronco and Cahoon took place some time ago. If the reports that have been around about Cahoon recently are accurate. Knowing what he knows from Bronco already then why would he apply for the position? Did we all miss something Bronco said during his evaluation period. You see I don't recall Paul Tidwell being relived of his recruiting coordinator duties. Yeah its true Ben Cahoon hasn't done any recruiting before,but then neither did Doman. Yet Brandon turned out to be a pretty darned good recruiter. If in fact Bronco is looking for another recruiting coordinator then that would disqualify Drage too. Not to mention the fact that it makes Bronco look like a complete idiot to some of these people applying for the position. I have seen the Job posting and I don't recall it saying that part of the position was being recruiting coordinator. I'm sorry but I just don't see Bronco being that careless about a Job.
Advertisement
P
pjspack
One more thing in regards to Ben Cahoon. Its has been interesting watching the vitriol attacking the credentials of Cahoon on various boards.(not really any here) None of this occured prior to Higgins leaving, then all of the sudden a few vultures come out and start attacking Cahoon's coaching credentials. Let me ask all of you a question why do you suppose this kind of stuff is happening now? Who stands to gain from it? Some of you may think Eric Drage. While its possible I think it's very unlikely to be the case. For one thing I think most of the people that support Cahoon would also support Drage. Drage himself has far too much class to support this vitriol aimed towards Cahoon. So who does that leave? Let me give you a hint if all reports are true he's about to lose his job about an hour up the road from Provo.



That's right its Roderick, Now to be clear I am not accusing him of being behind this whole thing. But it wouldn't surprise me if these are friends and relatives trying to help him out. Look Roderick will probably need a job. While Cahoon and Drage really want the job,they already have other jobs. So it's not the end of the world if they don't get it. Roderick isn't exactly a hot commodity right now. Since he turned down Sark at UW last year because his wife didn't want to move. Should it happen with Chow, he has know where else to go.



Why would all this matter in regards to the coaching position anyway? We all know Bronco doesn't read this stuff. But I'm almost certain he has gotten a lot of email in Support of Cahoon. Can any of you think of a better way to curtail that euthusiasm for Cahoon , than to point out to the masses his flaws? Yeah
C
Cougarbib
pjspack wrote:
One more thing in regards to Ben Cahoon. Its has been interesting watching the vitriol attacking the credentials of Cahoon on various boards.(not really any here) None of this occured prior to Higgins leaving, then all of the sudden a few vultures come out and start attacking Cahoon's coaching credentials. Let me ask all of you a question why do you suppose this kind of stuff is happening now? Who stands to gain from it? Some of you may think Eric Drage. While its possible I think it's very unlikely to be the case. For one thing I think most of the people that support Cahoon would also support Drage. Drage himself has far too much class to support this vitriol aimed towards Cahoon. So who does that leave? Let me give you a hint if all reports are true he's about to lose his job about an hour up the road from Provo.



That's right its Roderick, Now to be clear I am not accusing him of being behind this whole thing. But it wouldn't surprise me if these are friends and relatives trying to help him out. Look Roderick will probably need a job. While Cahoon and Drage really want the job,they already have other jobs. So it's not the end of the world if they don't get it. Roderick isn't exactly a hot commodity right now. Since he turned down Sark at UW last year because his wife didn't want to move. Should it happen with Chow, he has know where else to go.



Why would all this matter in regards to the coaching position anyway? We all know Bronco doesn't read this stuff. But I'm almost certain he has gotten a lot of email in Support of Cahoon. Can any of you think of a better way to curtail that euthusiasm for Cahoon , than to point out to the masses his flaws? Yeah


See my thread on the firings. Rick N supposedly wants Chow to stay but not as OC but does not want to pay $1M for him to leave and may not be able to demote him wihout his consent and and and that all gets in the way of going to Utah becasue Utah likley is only going to pay $170K per year instead of the $500k guarantee Chow has at UCLA for two more years or if he gets fired. So Chow is praying to get fired. Slick Rick is praying that Chow quits. Slick Rick doesn't even have a DC either and has anew OC ready to go, but still has an OC. i.e. a mess. KW might be praying for Chow to get fired and Ute fans seem to want him, but I have no idea what ARod is praying for.



But, I doubt that Arod is able to control the minds and postings of armies of peooople to spread vitriol about Cahoon, Drage, or Chow. I haven't gone and looked but is there really thaqt much vitriole about Cahoon - or are people just pointing out that he does not have coaching experience. That would not be vitriol and was also pointed out about Detmer, Chad Lewis, Doman for not having OC experience, etc.



People love Cahoon. I love Cahoon. He does not have coaching experience. neither did Doman a few years ago and that worked out. DOman doe snot have OC experience and is not going to ge that. That may or may not work out, but hopes are high and everyone wants it to work out. At some point, a team has to conisder how much inexperience it can handle at once. Last season we had inexpereinced players coming out the wazoo and it just about killed us early when the schedule was toughest.



Let's trust Bronco to figure out how much inexperience he wants to deal with and then suport his choices. In th eend, Bronco will be held accountable - not you - not me.



If Bronco picks Cahoon - I am on board. If he picks someone with more experience - count me in. If it is Drage - I will support it. Chad - sure. Detmer - ok. If it is Arod - Bronco knows better than me. If it is someone else - I hope they are really, really good and experienced.

OK - time for a poll. Watch for it.



Go Cougs
S
SpiffCoug
I'm sorry, does Cahoon have any coaching credentials?
S
snoscythe
kitic77 wrote:
I'm sorry, does Cahoon have any coaching credentials?


Works with BYU's receivers every off-season, at least the last 4 years that I know of.
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
I'm sorry, does Cahoon have any coaching credentials?


Works with BYU's receivers every off-season, at least the last 4 years that I know of.

Hmmm, so nothing official. At least Detmer has some actual credentials. Although, I'd prefer Cahoon over Detmer. With Cahoon working with them and being in Provo, he's showing more interest than Detmer has.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.