Archived Topic

Just got my tweet - BYU is #9 in ESPN poll

by Cougarbib · 1/17/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Duke 5. SDSU 6.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Utah State and UNLV are also getting votes. USU only has 1 loss other than BYU.



Nobody is pushing BYU hard from behind in the poll - this signals that we have more upside if we keep winning and no one that will jump us unless we lose. SDSU is one of 4 undefeated teams and deserves to move up 4 spots until we beat them next week.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Thanks Bib.

But again, I dont think SDSU is a 6.

Not sure BYU is a 9 either, but thats the way the polls work. It will be very cool if both teams meet next week as a 6 and 7 or 6 and 9.

Then if byu won, we would for sure, as a 5 or 6, be over-rated. Sorry fellow fans. It would be fun while it lasts dont get me wrong. I guess this is how Boise gets it done. Win a few critical games and then dont lose to who they shouldnt lose.
C
clemdiggitydog1
dmcougar wrote:
Thanks Bib.

But again, I dont think SDSU is a 6.

Not sure BYU is a 9 either, but thats the way the polls work. It will be very cool if both teams meet next week as a 6 and 7 or 6 and 9.

Then if byu won, we would for sure, as a 5 or 6, be over-rated. Sorry fellow fans. It would be fun while it lasts dont get me wrong. I guess this is how Boise gets it done. Win a few critical games and then dont lose to who they shouldnt lose.

I'm not sure that you're either watching college b-ball this year and/or watching the ByU team THIS year, but i believe they are very worthy of the ranking they have, as has been BSU in football most years IMO. to try to say otherwise is i believe a simple contrarian position, that doesn't take into account their body of work this season in any objective manner.
C
CougarClaw
dmcougar wrote:
I guess this is how Boise gets it done. Win a few critical games and then dont lose to who they shouldnt lose.


if by win critical games and don't lose the others you mean NEVER lose...then yes, we agree.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
dmcougar wrote:
Thanks Bib.

But again, I dont think SDSU is a 6.

Not sure BYU is a 9 either, but thats the way the polls work. It will be very cool if both teams meet next week as a 6 and 7 or 6 and 9.

Then if byu won, we would for sure, as a 5 or 6, be over-rated. Sorry fellow fans. It would be fun while it lasts dont get me wrong. I guess this is how Boise gets it done. Win a few critical games and then dont lose to who they shouldnt lose.


Problem is you're just assuming that there are 15 elite teams out there that are pretty much infallible and that BYU would have no chance of beating. It's just not true. It's the same in football, nobody can believe that we are actually better than all but 10-15 teams in the country because those teams come from certain conferences. Look, for this BYU team they have a matchup problem, but against any team at any ranking that doesn't have a dominant and big front court then we can certainly hang with them.
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
Thanks Bib.

But again, I dont think SDSU is a 6.

Not sure BYU is a 9 either, but thats the way the polls work. It will be very cool if both teams meet next week as a 6 and 7 or 6 and 9.

Then if byu won, we would for sure, as a 5 or 6, be over-rated. Sorry fellow fans. It would be fun while it lasts dont get me wrong. I guess this is how Boise gets it done. Win a few critical games and then dont lose to who they shouldnt lose.


Problem is you're just assuming that there are 15 elite teams out there that are pretty much infallible and that BYU would have no chance of beating. It's just not true. It's the same in football, nobody can believe that we are actually better than all but 10-15 teams in the country because those teams come from certain conferences. Look, for this BYU team they have a matchup problem, but against any team at any ranking that doesn't have a dominant and big front court then we can certainly hang with them.


I could probably agree with all this. And you are right I think there are a number of teams with better front courts and probably perimeter defenses. If you take away our perimeter game, we will suffer.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
Thanks Bib.

But again, I dont think SDSU is a 6.

Not sure BYU is a 9 either, but thats the way the polls work. It will be very cool if both teams meet next week as a 6 and 7 or 6 and 9.

Then if byu won, we would for sure, as a 5 or 6, be over-rated. Sorry fellow fans. It would be fun while it lasts dont get me wrong. I guess this is how Boise gets it done. Win a few critical games and then dont lose to who they shouldnt lose.


Problem is you're just assuming that there are 15 elite teams out there that are pretty much infallible and that BYU would have no chance of beating. It's just not true. It's the same in football, nobody can believe that we are actually better than all but 10-15 teams in the country because those teams come from certain conferences. Look, for this BYU team they have a matchup problem, but against any team at any ranking that doesn't have a dominant and big front court then we can certainly hang with them.


I could probably agree with all this. And you are right I think there are a number of teams with better front courts and probably perimeter defenses. If you take away our perimeter game, we will suffer.


Luckily, unlike football, we will get to see. I am not saying BYU does or does not deserve the number 9 rating. I haven't seen everyone else play and I have not seen enough of BYU play - due to MTN blah blah blah.



I will say this - the 2010/11 edition of the BYU Cougars is better than the team we had last season - definitely. They were not better early in the season. They are better now. It is unfortunate that Chris C is out for the season or they would be even better due to depth.



So, it will come down to seeding and matchups and that is why the rankings matter at least a little bit. Hopefully we will be just like TCU football this year and BSU football last year (BSU lost one they should not have lost this year - Nevada). If we win out, having only lost the UCLA game we should not have lost, we will get a number 1 seed and the biased NCAA won't be able to screw us out of it. I was at the UCLA game. I saw what went wrong. We are far better now. Jimmer was a little off. Davies stepped up the last 2/3 of the game, but should have stepped up sooner. Davies is much more consistent now. Emery was injured. Hartsock wasn't 100%. And Kyle C and several others couldn't buy an outside shot or a free throw at times. Jackson Emery is still nursing an injury but playing painfree according to a tweet 17 seconds ago over to the right. He has been the biggest improvement followed by Davies. Kyle C has shown some improved shooting lately - he may further improve.



But we have vulnerabilities and a bad seed or matchup could be death. Ask me what I think our worthiness is after the SDSU game in Provo. Ask again after the one in San Diego.
B
BroncoBot
I always figured we'd know who BYU was after playing in UNLV.



That was easy.



I now figure BYU can go up against about anyone and have a shot. I think they are much more representative of a top 10 ranking than utah was of a top 10 ranking in football.



TCU's not going to come to the Marriott center and blow BYU out ;) (neither will SDSU for that matter).
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:
I always figured we'd know who BYU was after playing in UNLV.



That was easy.



I now figure BYU can go up against about anyone and have a shot. I think they are much more representative of a top 10 ranking than utah was of a top 10 ranking in football.



TCU's not going to come to the Marriott center and blow BYU out ;) (neither will SDSU for that matter).

Way more worthy of Top 10 than Utah football was this year. Utah did nothing to earn that ranking and proved on the field that it was way too high.



BYU would be competitive with just about anybody based on what I have seen. There are always teams you just don't match up well with and a team so dependent on Perimiter shooting can go cold. We are far from invinceable. Barring horrible seeding, which I still fear based on history, and bad officiating which we run into on occasion, and a game that is forced inside due to cold shooting, we could beat just about anyone outside the top 10 and several in the top 10 if we stay healthy - Jackson Emery especially.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.