Archived Topic

Jimmer Fredette named MWC Player of the Week

by hawkwing · 1/17/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
In a surprising move, the MWC named Jimmer Fredette the Player of the Week. Fans of Jimmer, who is by far the best basketball player in the Mountain West Conference, rarely expect for him to receive accolades for his performances because of an undeniable bias against the BYU Cougars by the staff and other members of the conference.
S
SpiffCoug
To be fair, Kawhi Leonard did have a great week too. Averaging 15 and 15 against two good conf teams is nothing to sneeze at.
G
Guest
kitic77 wrote:
To be fair, Kawhi Leonard did have a great week too. Averaging 15 and 15 against two good conf teams is nothing to sneeze at.


I agree, which shows that the MWC just doesn't make sense. This was the week that they had a very legitimate reason to give it to Kawhi flat out or give co-honors, but rather this is the week they chose to give it outright to Jimmer.
B
billbillbillbill
Probably just time to give Jimmer POY honors early and create the 2nd best Player of the Week award to be handed out the rest of the season.
G
Gunk
Has the MWC jumped on the Jimmer bandwagon?
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Thanks Hawk for the update.

I cant believe that the MWC is doing anything but that it is in their best self-promoting interest.

In other words, BYU fans' or Jimmer's gratitude, relief or vindication is totally irrelevant to the MWC and I doubt the MWC learned from their earlier snub of Jimmer and are somehow now correcting that. I dont think they care, quite honestly.

POsting Jimmer as PoW is about piggy-backing on Jimmer's national buzz and they want to capture some of that spotlight. guess I cant blame them.

Imagine how innane the MWC would look if he got selected as national PoW but not as MWC player of the week. But hey, its what the MWC does best--marginalizing and irrelevantizing themselves as a conference.
S
StatsCougar
dmcougar wrote:
Thanks Hawk for the update.

I cant believe that the MWC is doing anything but that it is in their best self-promoting interest.

In other words, BYU fans' or Jimmer's gratitude, relief or vindication is totally irrelevant to the MWC and I doubt the MWC learned from their earlier snub of Jimmer and are somehow now correcting that. I dont think they care, quite honestly.

POsting Jimmer as PoW is about piggy-backing on Jimmer's national buzz and they want to capture some of that spotlight. guess I cant blame them.

Imagine how innane the MWC would look if he got selected as national PoW but not as MWC player of the week. But hey, its what the MWC does best--marginalizing and irrelevantizing themselves as a conference.


Hey, they already did that.
C
Cougarbib
StatsCougar wrote:
Thanks Hawk for the update.

I cant believe that the MWC is doing anything but that it is in their best self-promoting interest.

In other words, BYU fans' or Jimmer's gratitude, relief or vindication is totally irrelevant to the MWC and I doubt the MWC learned from their earlier snub of Jimmer and are somehow now correcting that. I dont think they care, quite honestly.

POsting Jimmer as PoW is about piggy-backing on Jimmer's national buzz and they want to capture some of that spotlight. guess I cant blame them.

Imagine how innane the MWC would look if he got selected as national PoW but not as MWC player of the week. But hey, its what the MWC does best--marginalizing and irrelevantizing themselves as a conference.


Hey, they already did that.

They probably are smart enough to not risk back-to-back or BYU would not be alone in calling them out on it. Back-to-Back would have been hilarious.



The MWC should be proud that they provided the stepping stones for Utah to use to jump to the PAC and TCU to use to jump to the Big East, and BYU to use to go independent. The MWC always was and probably long, if not always, will be a stepping stone conference. But they are and will continue to be the best stepping stone conference having edged Conf USA and relegated the WAC to being the stepping stone gateway to the MWC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
I think the MWC could be making a shrewd move here. If Jimmer gets MWC POY this year and then gets into a good situation in the NBA, the conference can claim it was Jimmers launchpad to success. Sure BYU will be gone, but Jimmer won't be at BYU anymore either.



This is similar to the MWC claiming LaDanian Tomlinson, just in reverse.
C
Cougs_Rule
BerliNY wrote:
I think the MWC could be making a shrewd move here. If Jimmer gets MWC POY this year and then gets into a good situation in the NBA, the conference can claim it was Jimmers launchpad to success. Sure BYU will be gone, but Jimmer won't be at BYU anymore either.



This is similar to the MWC claiming LaDanian Tomlinson, just in reverse.


Bingo!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.